Moving to Bahrain - Info needed

Hi All, I am moving to Bahrain from Dubai on account of a new job offer and need some advice.

Visas & Documents

1) I have heard that people with Shia sounding names don't get visas in Bahrain.  I am not a Shia but have a distinctly shia sounding name
2) I would like to bring my maid from Dubai with me.  Anyone have any idea about transferring maid visas to Bahrain from UAE?
3) I have a valid UAE driving licence.  Can this be converted to a Bahrain licence? 

Costs & Other

1) My son is likely to go to a school in the Adilya area as that is the only one we managed to get him into and my work place is in the industrial area down south of Bahrain.  I was thinking of Adilya area but what is the commute like in the morning and at rush hours?
2) My salary excluding benefits is around 8,000 BD per month.  Is this adequate for affording a 4 bedroom villa compound villa, 2 cars and still manage to save quite a bit?

Thanks

Hi XTang

I will try to answer your questions in order:

Visas and Documents:
1) Not true. Even Shias get visas and work permits in Bahrain. I know a number of Shias who have had no problem whatsoever. Your name will only be an issue if it appears on some security watch list.
2) You will be able to get a work permit for your maid once you settle down here and have your own work visa and residence permit sorted out. Generally your employer will help you with obtaining a visa for your maid.
3) You can convert your UAE driving license to a Bahrain license.

Costs and Others:
1) Your place of work will probably be in Sitra (that is the main industrial area). On a good day, it will probably take you about 15 minutes to get to Adliya from Sitra. Add another 15 minutes during rush hour.
2) With that kind of a package you will be able to afford not just one but two 4-bedroom villas and 4 cars and still save quite a bit :)

Please read the Cost of Living thread (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=337348) and the Definitive Guide (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231960) for detailed coverage of questions.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Best wishes!

BD8,000 OMG I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8000BD  - Wow!  you will be living the high life here - lucky you :)

Thank you all.

One quick follow up question; my employer put  me in touch with an immigration provider who says that I need to get a medical in Dubai and on arrival in Bahrain, I don't need to do a medical as my profession is managerial level.  Is this true?

A medical test in your present location followed by one in Bahrain is a requirement for processing work visas, regardless of level of seniority in an organization. There are some organizations that manage to avoid this sometimes, perhaps using "wasta" :) I have faced both scenarios. Having said that, I am happy if someone is willing to pay for my medical. I get to check out my vitals free of charge.

Best wishes.

Thank you :). The immigration service came back to me with a correction so you were right.

This has been very helpful.  The cost of living thread was useful. I was only a little bit lower in terms of salary range in Dubai but it seems that in Bahrain I will save at least 30% more even if on same salary. Or am I mistaken?

Going through the process now and dealing with relocation &  mobility consultants. Hope to land in June!!

@Josnuggles: I wished too once upon a time but with zero work life balance and travel almost every week, beginning to reconsider :)

I am sure you can save a bit more in Bahrain than in Dubai. Whilst cost of large capital items is higher in Bahrain, day to day living is cheaper in Bahrain than in Dubai. So you are right in your expectation of better saving.

As for earning vs work-life balance, it's a choice we have to make depending on what is important. I am fortunate to have stuck a nice balance between the two and enjoy the best of both worlds.

You will easily save 50% of your salary, don't worry about the cost of living and enjoy your life.

Hit me up when you come around and I will answers any questions you may have.

Good luck!

Thanks. Will do

Quick update; so finally my visa has been applied for and I just checked on site:

It's processing at LMRA and this is the message "The submitted application needs further investigation. Wait for 3 working days and if the status does not change , the Authorized person / employer needs to raise a support ticket with e-support: http://www.lmra.bh/esupport".

Is this a standard message at this stage or indicates something?

The application is under the position of Manager (Financial Affairs).

Thanks

Hi

I haven't seen that on LMRA but they have recently employed lots of new staff and changed the system so it's all a bit crazy. Do a screen shot and send to your new company HR department as they probably won't check the site as often as you.

LMRA may just be checking that your employer has input your details correctly in to the website. Most of the best paid people I know are on half your salary so they may question that it's a mistake.

On a side note regarding school & work commuting. You could afford to hire a driver to take your child to school and back. There are also private companies that offer transport too (buses)

I am a relocation consultant and work for one of the biggest relocation companies in the world. If you want any advice then just ask.

Thanks Jo.  The screenshot is a good idea and I will do that now.

I will definitely seek your advice when it gets closer to me actually moving ahead re: visas :).  My employers have me currently working with Weichert Workforce mobility - so far so good.

Hi - I've never heard of Weichert Workforce mobility, they certainly aren't based here. Their office for Middle East and Asia is in the UK. We offer advice from people who live here, know the area and the policies. Can tell you the good the bad and the ugly about Bahrain.
Glad they are doing a good job for you though. If they are based here and I got it wrong then apologies.

Hi Jo, no you got it right; they are not based here.  They work with local associated companies like writers, tax consultants and so on.  Overall process is managed from the US.

I wouldn't really know how they are doing so far as all of it will follow after I set foot (or looks like I am about to set foot) in Bahrain :)

It appears your move isn't far away. Wish you lots of luck. As said previously ask any questions you want. We are a good team on this forum. Years of living here between us mixed with lots of different experiences usually means you will get a very accurate response very quickly.

Jo

Thanks Jo.  Two side questions:

1) What tests do they do in the medical when you have LANDED in Bahrain?
2) For the CPR, do I have to rent a place or can I continue living in the temporary accommodation?  I was hoping to bring the family out and let them choose the place (maybe need to do the look see visit for them earlier if rental and CPR are linked)

1. Dr will ask you how you are feeling, ask you to do an eye test and that's virtually it

2. You need an address for your CPR. If you can give your office address it will save you loads of time in the future. If you use your temporary accommodation address you can change it later when you have your lease.

Don't worry, everything will be fine. Remember your HR department have done this lots of times  :one

Thanks a lot.

1) Seriously???  Wow.  In the UAE, after the pre-employment, when you land; everyone goes through chest xray and blood tests (HIV, Hep B etc).  Am surprised Bahrain doesn't verify like UAE/Saudi et all.  What tests do you do when you have to renew your residency and CPR?
2) Ahhh.  So office addresses are accepted?  that would indeed be the most efficient solution to avoiding all future problems

1. Yes seriously!! All our staff still laugh at the joke. Our colleagues in Dubai cannot believe how useless it is. Renewal of CPR is a tick box form.

2. Yes all our staff at work have their office address as  their CPR address - anyone checking would think we had 20 people living in a small apartment!!!

Thanks.  Am reassured at the thought of avoiding being pricked by needles in a crowded "production" line hospital.

It is hilarious in a sad sort of a way though.  What I have heard of Bahrain i.e. the influx of Saudi's on the weekend to pursue "entertainment" options (and thus such options or temptations being in place in Bahrain in abundance) should necessitate a health care / immigration program to somehow keep the denizens "honest".

:)

You are spot on with your views on a Bahrain weekend. I only know the process for western expats in the medical, not sure what it is like for other nationalities though. Lots here on the forum that may advise.

You will find Bahrain laughable in a lot of ways. Just learn to shrug your shoulders and carry on. Nothing you can do about it........

Have your company given you an orientation tour of Bahrain yet? Prior to accepting the offer?

Hmm good point; would be reassuring to know if the same medical process is followed for other nationalities or not?

Not yet.  They have been asking but I am still with my previous employer and serving out the notice period.  So finding the time to fly down is a bit of a hassle.  Will do it all in one go.

What if you give notice and hate Bahrain?
Most orientations can be done in a day - Saturday (except school search) and you are not far away.

That's a good point but then again, I don't very much like Dubai either :)

I usually put up with it for the money and the role (Career progression).  Oh and a place where you can have a drink from time to time, the wife doesn't have to be veiled and can drive a car would be good too :)

Umm sounds like Bahrain then. I'm sure you will settle in well.

Ok bit of an update.  The visa was in LMRA yesterday with the same message i.e. application needs further investigation.  Then in the evening it was showing that application sent back to employer as there are some errors in the application that need to be corrected by them.

Till today, in the afternoon, it was showing the same and then in the evening it's now showing that application is with GDNPR and awaiting decision by them.

Is the application supposed to move this fast all the way up to GDNPR?   (I did speak to the MD of the business and asked him to expedite it using his contacts)

Be patient. It will get done in the end.

LMRA are moving to a new system and with all the new applications the system has literally broken. A lot of the work is being done manually which is taking a very long time. I have been waiting over a month for my visa to be processed.

Update: Application rejected by GDNPR stating immigration checks failed.  Am trying to find out the reasons so let's see.

Oh no, that's not good news. Please keep us informed on how you get on. HR should look in to this for you.

oh No..... Please let us know the reason once you get it.

My employers are going there Tom. They have told me it was rejected by CID and usually reasons are not shared in that case.  They will try to submit a letter and other documents to show I am not a threat ie UAE residency, previous visits to Bahrain etc.

My gut feel is that it's my name (Shia sounding or similar to someone on a blacklist).

Let's see

Good luck, if your name is shia sounding then yes that might be the reason. Lets hope your employers can sort it out.

Update: Applied second time and again refused today.  Now going to the options of wasta I suppose.  The name seems to be the problem.  Interesting situation.

Beat wishes. Wasta generally solves all problems here

Update: So after 6 rejections; the visa was finally approved after clearance from CID.  Yes wasta does work :)

And yes it was the name.... So it does cause an issue for some nationalities... Now we know that for a fact.

Congratulations. Change your name to Smith lol. I hope you enjoy Bahrain as much as we all do

XTang wrote:

Update: So after 6 rejections; the visa was finally approved after clearance from CID.  Yes wasta does work :)

And yes it was the name.... So it does cause an issue for some nationalities... Now we know that for a fact.

Thanks for the update. But the good news is your visa has been approved and you are now in Bahrain.  :top:

Josnuggles wrote:

Congratulations. Change your name to Smith lol. I hope you enjoy Bahrain as much as we all do

Or change it to "Farhaz"  ;)

Welcome to Bahrain and best wishes with settling down here.