New members of the Venezuela forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Venezuela forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Venezuela if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello Julien and Everyone here. My names Alan. I'm a young 68 year old Englishman living in Porlamar,Isla margarita.
I was trained in the hotel business and spent time in France,Spain,Tenerife,Finland,England,and then here!
I came here for the fantastic year round climate and relatively low cost of living.
I was asked if I could teach English by a few people,and as I'd been doing it privately in Spain ,I started here on a small scale.I help out at a local college here too. I am currently looking at an online business too to earn some dollars.....
I go cycling,walking, looking for a tennis partner,Have my golf clubs and would like to practice more.
I read a lot and have English books,and need people to exchange them with. All good thrillers.

I enjoy cooking and I would be pleased to cook a meal for you sometime. I live alone so no problem there. Bring your own wine
Hope to hear from you  and make some new friends !!  Alan

Hola. Soy Emilia.en este momento vivo en Venezuela y estoy programando mudarme a Malaga. Soy tambien ciudadana Italiana. Mi area de trabajo es licenciada en turismo.                                           Hablo ingles. Entiendo italiano.y obvio espanol. Me gusta escuchar musica.leer. el arte.disfrutar de un buen vino y una buena gastronomia.                                   ..           Estoy intentando ubicar mi trabajo .me gustaria ser ejecutiva de ventas de un hotel.y tambien soy excelente asesora de viajes.

Hello, my name is Alex and I am from Detroit, Michigan, USA. I am 27 years old and am moving to Valencia in July to teach Visual Arts at Colegio Internacional de Carabobo. I do not speak Spanish yet but can speak decent Portuguese after living in Brazil for six months with a family that could not speak English.

My hobbies include playing baseball, ice hockey, skateboarding, and painting.

I'm super excited to start working at an awesome school in Venezuela and learn Spanish.

If any of you live in Valencia, let's grab a beer!

Welcome to Venezuela datsyukian,  I don't live in Valencia but my brother does.  I will tell you something though, your portuguese is not gonna be very useful here.  It is about 100 times easier to fine someone with a basic understanding of english than it is to find someone with a basic understanding of portuguese.  You can also forget about ice hockey while your are in Venezuela (unless you want to play it virtually).

I hope you enjoy your stay, if you need any assistance about anything or you have any doubts feel free to post them in the forum or contact me through a private message.  Valencia is a nice city and you should be fine since those internacional schools play close attention to their teachers and make sure they don't run into trouble.

About not knowing spanish... it is be a barrier you will have to overcome, I strongly suggest you study some spanish because you will enjoy it a lot more in here, it will also help you overcome the shock of living in a completely different culture, though if you lived in Brazil I'm pretty sure you will see some similarities.

Thanks for the welcome! I meant that my portuguese should help me learn spanish, not that I will try and speak portuguese with people. Can't wait!

Hi,

and occasionally he drinks a beer with me and others down on the beach.

There is enough wine here, from Chile and Argentina, good stuff!

Ulrich, Porlamar :D

Hi, you just have to learn a new set of rules about pronunciation and it will do! I am learning brazilian portuguese right now and with a good knowlege of castellano it's easy!

am ernest omega currently living in lagos,intend to move to venezuela to look greener pasture in the area of oil and gas inspector in a shiping company or any company that deals with oil.

Do you already have a job? or are you gonna look for one in here?

If you are gonna get paid in USD you will be fine.  If you are getting payed in Bolivares (VEF), it is a bad idea to come

Hi all

I was wondering if there are any venezuelan ladies living in liverpool uk.

My partner is homesick 😊

Gary

😆

Hola everyone. I'm a retired American expat from Wisconsin. I have recently moved to Margarita Island from Panama, where I originally relocated to, three years ago when I started my retirement adventure of living abroad. I am very interested in meeting and networking with other expats living on Margarita Island. With my career background in advertising as a Creative Director/ Art Director and Photographer, I'm also currently in search of opportunities here on the island. I have a strong love of anything that is "creative". I'm excited to explore more of Margarita Island and Venezuela mainland to try and capture it's natural beauty, culture and wonderful people on film (digital) and canvas. Also, in the gesture of giving back in my retirement years. I would love to discover how I can share my skills and experience while living abroad here on Margarita Island. Whether it's teaching English, Art, Photography or Graphic Design. I would appreciate any feedback and information anyone out there could give me. Thanks....Gracias. read less :)

Hello.
My name is Natasha.
I am originally from Ukraine. Currently live in US( Atlanta, GA), and I was invited to teach Art classes in international school in Maturin, Venezuela( only for 2 years).
I speak English, Russian, and Ukrainian. I never learn Spanish. I would like to.
My question is how many people in Venezuela speak English?
Is it any Russian people community in Venezuela?
Thank you.
Natasha

[Moderated: This is not a dating website]

Hi everyone!!!  I'm a Venezuelan girl looking to meet expats in Caracas. Would like to improve my French, due to I'm planning to move to Canada in 2 years tops.

HI all,

Nice to read your interesting posts.

I will be moving to Maturin in a few months and would like to know what items I should bring with me in my shipment (other than furniture and clothing)? Anything in particular is hard to get in Maturin with respect to basic necessities?

I know of power outages in other parts of Venezuela. Do they also happen in Maturin? Do you know if mineral water or filtered water is readily available in Maturin? I am bringing along my water dispenser for 5 gallon water bottles. Any idea if I can purchase these 5 gallon water bottles there? Here in Malaysia there are many water delivery companies that deliver to your homes. Was wondering if this type of service exist there in Maturin?

Many thanks!

Daily or weekly power outages occur everywhere in Venezuela (except in Caracas).  I don't know the frequency in Maturin but I believe they are not that bad.

You can buy 5 gallon bottles here. The availability varies but they should not be that hard to find.  If you have 2 bottles at home you shouldn't run out of drinking water.  Some places have home delivery but for the most part I believe you have to bring it home yourself.

In Maracaibo you can buy them in supermarkets, gas stations, bakeries and some informal tents that only sell water.  Again not every gas pump not every supermarket sells water and even those that sell it don't always have it in stock, But with 2 bottles you should be OK (use one while the other is empty and you are waiting to buy it).

People in here don't usually drink tap water as it if not considered "clean enough. If you really can't find bottle water you are expected to boil tap  water before it is considered safe.

That's very helpful gunflame. Thanks for your response. :)

Natasha2836 wrote:

Hello.
My name is Natasha.
I am originally from Ukraine. Currently live in US( Atlanta, GA), and I was invited to teach Art classes in international school in Maturin, Venezuela( only for 2 years).
I speak English, Russian, and Ukrainian. I never learn Spanish. I would like to.
My question is how many people in Venezuela speak English?
Is it any Russian people community in Venezuela?
Thank you.
Natasha

You need to speak Spanish to move around Venezuela without problems.  There's a lot of people that have a VERY basic understanding of English.  Most people with a college level education will speak some English and understand a little.  However coming to live here without basic Spanish and without contacts/connections is not advisable..

I really can't recommend anyone to come to Venezuela at this moment. Not for a visit. Not for work(unless you are getting payed lots of $$).  If you review my previous posts you will see this is different from what I said several months ago

About items bring appliances and electronics with you if you can.  Make sure any cargo you bring is insured and that they will reimburse you in foreign currency and NOT bolivares if something gets lots or broken.  Things get lost here with ease

Prices for everything here are very expensive. TVs, watcher and driers, air conditioners. And they are not easily found. Another option is to rent a furnished apartment so you don't have to worry about those things.

Other than that medicines, perfumes, makeup, deodorant, shampoo and other personal hygiene items (I suggest you bring 6 month worth or more). 

If you are bringing jewelry, perfumes, laptops, camerasiPads, and anything like that make sure they are in you carry on.  Same with any cash o valuable items.  People in here steal stuff that you check in you baggage

Thanks again gunflame!

Highly appreciated.

hi Natasha. There are quite a few people who speak English in Margarita and a number of Russians living here too. Best wishes Alan in porlamar

:(

Good advice gunflame !!!

To every body who wants to know about Isla Margarita: I have been living in Venezuela for 21 years now, the last 14 on Margarita.

Just contact me on [email protected].

:( Venezuela is relatively expensive for those who earn their money here.

:lol: Venezuela is very cheap for those who get their money from abroad, like a pension or savings abroad. I'll gladly tell you how, just send me an email.

Some things are scarce, but they are mainly things Venezuelans traditionally eat. It is a political thing in order to cause anger in the people against the government. Here it is a tradition: if anything is bad it is alway because of the government (even if they have nothing to do with it, but people can only elect governments, they cannot elect the businessmen who actually run daily economy). As a german vegan I get 99% of what I need.

Ulrich,
Porlamar,
one of the group that meets every sunday 1 pm at Luis' restaurant next to the Beach View Palace (in front of Hotel Imperial) in Bella Vista, Porlamar, in order to speak english

Moderated by Gavind 8 years ago
Reason : free publicitity is prohibited on the forum, please post and add in our Housing in Venezuela section. Thank you.

Hola soy se Vzla y quiero vivir en Islandia quisiera saber que hay que hacer para poder pedir la licencia de trabajo y visa para Islandia. Gracias

Hello all,

Welcome to the new members of Expat.com

@Grahisis,

Please keep in mind that this is an English forum, i would suggest that you post in English solely.

Little Reminder

This thread is solely for presentation of new members.

We encourage you browse the forum by ''Forum Categories'', found on the up right side of your screen, to gather useful info.

We have dedicated sections of the site to host adverts you may have amidst the top green banner of the website.

Thank you,
Gavind

Hello Dingo El Gringo here,
. I speak Spanish quite well and presently live in the Dominican Republic.  But they are cracking down on those who haven't become residents here, not that I blame them. I am thinking of Venezuela. I am retired and live on about $1000 Social Security.   I am not one to tremble about street violence. I spent months in Medellin Colombia when it was known as the most violent city in the Western Hemisphere.  But the stories from Venezuela are so confused. If the average worker earns only about a buck and a half a day my $30+ per day should be pretty good there, right?  Reading that a small apartment in Caracas rents for over $1000 a month. Who rents them if it isn't the people living there and earning $42 a month?

I suggest you read the advice Venezuelans are giving to their own countrymen and women who ask about returning, by going over to the Venezuela forum in Spanish.

This thread is an interesting read:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 34#2780345

Hey! How did your work in Venezuela go? Share your experince!

The so called professiola advice above says that one may have to get a visa and or vaccinations.  If the professionals do not know, who would?

in venezuela, now?  the crisis is in its best moment. sorry, but the work is fine but the pay not. i want move of my dear country and to find a good chance where be value this profession.

ARQUI1 wrote:

in venezuela, now?  the crisis is in its best moment. sorry, but the work is fine but the pay not. i want move of my dear country and to find a good chance where be value this profession.

I do not need work only to know if I could live on my pension of almost $1000 a month of US dollars. :) .

in that case, this is the best place for to live. if i would have that pension, i would not let my country. in other words, with that money monthly you can to live super fine and more in this crisis, because the dollar here value more than ever.

Thank you. So many people talk about how dangerous it is there now. I have been travelling internationally for 40 years and even in Medellin when it was called the most dangerous city in the hemisphere I had no problems.  But my pension comes in dollars into a USA bank account.  How do I draw that out at a good rate within Venezuela?  Thanks

you´re welcome. by the way, Venzuela is a good country for to live and invest. well, if its win like you win.

Dear All,

I am looking for proper business setup in Venezuela. I need sincere person / team for guidelines and to work with.
By profession, I am an IT person. I want to establish international business in between Venezuela and Dubai.

Azfar

i wont advice that you move here from lagos in search of greener pasture because naira has more value than bs but if you you already have a job that will pay you in usd its cool but if not dont even think about it because the minimum wage here is 20dolar per month and those that are high paid get maybe 100dolar and the oil industry here is not for everybody

hi all my name is Nina (babywolf) i am a Nigerian i just move here with my husband i live in Altamira i am an actress, dancer, advert model and a jewelry designer will love to meet new friends to hang out have fun together and share ideas i speak English, German and a bit of Türkisch and i will love to know how to find movie agents too any help will be appriciate

Closed