Cost of living in Kuala lumpur

Dear All,

I have offered from htc global service malaysia and will outsource to western digital as software engineer, i have offered salary 7300 RM
I would like to ask is it worth for middle class living in malaysia with 3 person, i have wife and 2 years toddler
How much living cost in Kuala lumpur ? So then i can save money while i am working in Malaysia.

Your advice and answer is very important to me.

Regards.

Try this website for coast of living.  www.numbeo.com  open the site, type in the country and the city and you will get the information you require.

You could also Google 'cost of living Kuala Lumpur' and check out other sites as well.

Hi with wife and kid that means below average lifestyle. 10k is the min for even a very budget minded family. Of course you can survive on lower, but survival only.

How many years of experience do you have?

The cost of living in KL is 10% higher than in Jakarta.

Cost of Living Comparison

I have experienced as software engineer for 7 years mostly in software development and i did as team leader as well

Hi your pay is very low as you are not new. My old flat mate was 23 2 years experience and got 6500 rm and she is Asian.

Hi All Any of your comments gave me valuable input for making decision for moving to Kuala Lumpur or not

its depend on your living style....

asif_zayed wrote:

its depend on your living style....

Is normal spent living cost for average malaysian middle clash

3000rm to 3500 rm is enough for a couple....

This post may help you budget. Don't forget to deduct income tax at about 20%.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=320722

I would like to add my 2 sens worth.

Moved to malaysia 6 months ago, after reading this forum I also assumed the cost of living would be very high and that you would need around 10k per month combined salary to survive. However after living here for 6 months I can say that you only need this kind of salary if you live in an expensive expat/foreigner area.. My rental where I live currently is only 1600 per month (2+1 in nice condo, next to lrt, pool, gym etc) however some people insist the minimum rental is 10k per month..

I would say if you want to live in the expat areas and pay 5x's as much then your suggested salary is way too low, however if you are happy to live in an area with other malaysians and pay standard prices then your salary should be plenty enough as the cost of living is not that high..

hope it helps

Hi rswoodbrown do you mind telling me how much you spend money for your cost of living instead of spend for Condo ?

rswoodbrown wrote:

I would like to add my 2 sens worth.

Moved to malaysia 6 months ago, after reading this forum I also assumed the cost of living would be very high and that you would need around 10k per month combined salary to survive. However after living here for 6 months I can say that you only need this kind of salary if you live in an expensive expat/foreigner area.. My rental where I live currently is only 1600 per month (2+1 in nice condo, next to lrt, pool, gym etc) however some people insist the minimum rental is 10k per month..

I would say if you want to live in the expat areas and pay 5x's as much then your suggested salary is way too low, however if you are happy to live in an area with other malaysians and pay standard prices then your salary should be plenty enough as the cost of living is not that high..

hope it helps

Here is a rough breakdown if you are interested. It will vary from person to person however this is for me and my fiancee to live a comfortable life in KL. All numbers are monthly

Rent = RM1600
Water bill = RM30
Electricity = RM50
Unifi (high speed wifi 10mbps) = RM200
Public Transport = RM50
Phone topup = RM50
Groceries Shopping = RM500
Misc expenses (networking, trips out etc) = RM500

If you are planning on getting a car as well maybe add around RM1000 per month, I just use my friends car however when I looked at buying my own one the monthly payments would be around RM800 and petrol and insurance is cheap.

Hope it helps

Edit:
Its also worth noting that my friend who is a Malaysian lives on an income of just RM2000 per month

around 3k

Hi jabbar123,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Why not give us more details regarding your post? This might be helpful for the members.

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team