The locals, how are they?

Hello all, my first post! I want to know what type of people the natives are, are the locals friendly, intelligent, creative? Do they interact with gringos much? Good drivers? Anything you all can offer will help, and just tell me from a general, majority standpoint.
Thank you!

Ecuadorans are very very nice people.

They're not yet netted in overwhelming technocracy, psycho babble, e-gadget overload, 'time is money' and all the other speed living distractions that make first world living so unpleasant.

There are always bad apples anywhere you go. But Ecuador is a small country with a modest history. Modesty is an asset.

They are very creative. The arts in Ecuador are very vibrant and the people have time to be artisan and to develop their abilities and contributions. One of my favorite things in Ecuador was the graffiti. The street art is often very very good, I loved it. They also excel in the fiber arts. Textiles galore.

I found them to be some of the most cordial people I have ever had the pleasure to be among. Very amenable place all in all.

Hola Now I am not your age. I will answer as many questions as possible.  I have lived in Cuenca Ecuador for 2 yrs and I love it.  It has achieved exactly what I wanted when I came which is 1. Low cost of Living 2. Lower Health Care 3 I live in Andes in City on little outside of town I want not to own a car so I have buses and cabs reasonable I got everything I wanted.  But it takes two years to adjust to the culture change.  If you make this move think carefully it is nothing like America not that that is bad but it is completely different.  I would suggest Spanish speaking lessons immediately.  Money is the same.  1/2 1/2 some people are happy to see you others are not.  You can not be as out going here as your are at home because it can be dangerous.  You do not use your phone out in open you do not display money out in the open you just don't show off as much as in America.  They are more conservative people which is nice.  You don't lay it out so much.  Remember your more noticeable any way so you don't have to be loud.  I am 6'1 and very white very so you can imagine how noticeable I am any way in a crowd.  Plus I am very old and you don't see a lot of me walking the streets.  I have never been attacked but I am conservative.  When I leave a restaurant I call a cab from the restaurant don't take one from a corner many people get into a cab and they drive you off and rob you in a back street not smart.  You must be careful actually crime is down.  I ride the bus a lot and kids get up and give me their sits that would never happen in America.  They are refugile yes, polite, kind and let me tell you much nicer to their parents.  You have 90 days to file for a Cedula Card which (to me is like a social security card visa card if you dont' get one your out.  What do you need to get one bring all your papers and they better be originals with orginals seals and notorized just before you leave for her.  Birth Certificate better have mother and fathers name on it from state you were born.  No excuses in this country paper work must be perfect.  Do not have it turned into Spanish like a lot of people do.  do that here they like there own Spanish.  I am not sure you can find a decent job here unless you are really educated and can speak Spanish and English.  Their economy is very business.  Some people come and open businesses and they are busys.

I like all the things you do except I don't like it when a culture starts to have disrespect for other peoples property and graffiti is that.  Their art I like be as creative has you want but graffti is just a total lack of respect.  I steal your check you steal my car and dog.  I paint my wall and you put graffiti on my house now this is getting cared away.  It is called lack of respect you cut my finger off lets stop with the calling it art pain your fence, your car, your canvas please.

Ecuadorians are pretty much nice, I am Ecuadorian and I am pretty decent hahaha, but MOST of them are the most irresponsible drivers you'll ever see hahaha
You'll find a bit of everything, the only problem you might find is the language barrier, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Very pleasant, occasional shrinkage of heads, little to no cannibalism, you know the customary procedures etc.
Just so you know, they read these blogs just like gringos. To me your question is somewhat offensive even though you see it as harmless. I am certain some of those who've read this feel similarly.
This question is better asked over a dinner or lunch table. Maybe even a phone or an exchange of private emails.
I don't know, how are Americans? Safe drivers? pleasant? Eat there young?

SMMR,

Actually, on many walls in Ecuador graffiti is actually a legal form of artistic expression.  Quito has MANY "Legal Walls" which are often filled with colorful and expressive graffiti pieces, not to be confused with the forms of vandalism known as Tagging, Tag Banging (crossing out other peoples tags) or gang graffiti.

MIKE
www.themiddleoftheworld.com

I personally appreciate the art on the (public) walls, as opposed to bare colorless and lifeless facades.  It gives me something to look at while sitting in Quito traffic.

Talk about easily offended timo, wow you took my question to another level. I'm glad the locals see this, they've chimed in already and I hope they do more because I want and respect their opinion. I have moved to other places before not knowing the culture and wasn't prepared for the shock and it turned out to be a nightmare, so I have forced myself to do as much homework as possible and ask questions. If someone did ask how Americans are I would tell them, with honesty. The question was harmless, YOU just allow yourself to look at things from a victim standpoint, and for that I  sorry. Your reply offered me and every other potential expat NO help, so why reply on the thread? People are here to discover other places, not other peoples emotions and insecurities. Thank you to everyone who has offered all the other advice!!!

danygirl8903 wrote:

Ecuadorians are pretty much nice, I am Ecuadorian and I am pretty decent hahaha, but MOST of them are the most irresponsible drivers you'll ever see hahaha
You'll find a bit of everything, the only problem you might find is the language barrier, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

I'm sure you're decent haha! Probably a wonderful person for offering help to those of us who want to learn another culture, thank you!
I deal with crazy driving here so that's not going to be a shock. Is there a segregation there between gringos and locals, or does everyone try to intermingle? I would love nothing more but to meet and befriend tons of ecuadorians!
Are there many who speak English?
Thanks again Danygirl!

Themiddleoftheworld wrote:

SMMR,

Actually, on many walls in Ecuador graffiti is actually a legal form of artistic expression.  Quito has MANY "Legal Walls" which are often filled with colorful and expressive graffiti pieces, not to be confused with the forms of vandalism known as Tagging, Tag Banging (crossing out other peoples tags) or gang graffiti.

MIKE
www.themiddleoftheworld.com

I personally appreciate the art on the (public) walls, as opposed to bare colorless and lifeless facades.  It gives me something to look at while sitting in Quito traffic.

I too appreciate graffiti, it is a difficult art form and I have a huge respect for the artists! Too bad you can get locked up in the US for it .

Hi again, my name is Daniela haha thought i should introduce, of course you can intermingle, MOST ecuatorianas are pretty much into gringos, so don't be surprised if you see a local with a gringo.

Not everyone speaks english , I recommend you to learn at least a few words

I agree with the Graffiti.... it adds life to a city or town.

hola Danygirl,
yo soy italiano y me gustaria vivir en Equador , yo hablo poco espanol pero quiero aprenderlo. ¿qué recomienda por vivir a Quito ?

Legal walls fine.  Art fine.  Other peoples property I don't argee with that is all I am saying.  You do your wall and car.  I'll do mine.

El Español lo aprendes en cualquier parte, el inglés es mas complicado en Guayaquil.

timo31750 wrote:

Very pleasant, occasional shrinkage of heads, little to no cannibalism, you know the customary procedures etc.
Just so you know, they read these blogs just like gringos. To me your question is somewhat offensive even though you see it as harmless. I am certain some of those who've read this feel similarly.
This question is better asked over a dinner or lunch table. Maybe even a phone or an exchange of private emails.
I don't know, how are Americans? Safe drivers? pleasant? Eat there young?

No, we're loud, rude, ignorant and of course we're all rich. I almost forgot one third of us are obese.

From my experience, Ecuadorians are very different from one region to another.  There are some overriding generalization that seem to fit most of the time. Ecuadorians, in general, frequently ignore traffic laws, are highly protective of their families, friendly, and are very sensitive to public displays of anger.  Things like crime, respect for property, noise levels, hygiene and food safety, etc... vary so widly from community to community that there's no way to generalize.

I agree with thank!  Very Family oriented and emotional about it.

jessekimmerling wrote:

From my experience, Ecuadorians are very different from one region to another.  There are some overriding generalization that seem to fit most of the time. Ecuadorians, in general, frequently ignore traffic laws, are highly protective of their families, friendly, and are very sensitive to public displays of anger.  Things like crime, respect for property, noise levels, hygiene and food safety, etc... vary so widly from community to community that there's no way to generalize.

I've read that there are some places where the water is unsafe to drink. Is that the whole country? Is it like India, where one drop will get you sick?

Going from a more sterilized environment into countries where your exposed to a lot more bacteria you have to be aware of how it works and really understand it or you will end up at the hospital or very sick with terrible diaherra or a parasites.  We soak all vegts in water & vinegar for 30 minutes in sink just covered.  Everything that we will not be boiling or cooking.  This is to kill added bacteria.  We boil their faucet water and drink bottle water.  Now I know lots of Gringos that drink from the faucets.  BUT my Ecuadorian doctor says "Ecuador has the best water in Ecuador" ....that is what is said....he says that is non sense the statement is saying nothing it is the best water where what about the pipes the filters no.  Plus I don't have some organs and I am an Expat don't take a chance the hospital is full with Expat sick with all kinds of bacteria problems trying to readjust don't do it.  Don't eat at the stands outside why they don't wash up the stands correctly they use there tools from one uncooked meat to the other.  Now is this every stand no but you can not take a chance.  Gringos eat in Gringo places and stick to it from fear...slowly we eat other places but we are very careful where we eat.  We drink Coke and the bottle is open at the table we are very careful I have been to the hospital 2 times so watch.  I know some Expats 3 maybe more.  And some are in there 20's one young man eat cheese and lots but it was unpasteurized and he picked up parisites from the cheese was sick home for 4 days and when to hospital and was there 5 days.  He just got the works.  Lost 20# he looked like death he was thin to start with too.  I think you have to be smart when you come here and use your head you can not eat everything.  You bring antibiotic pills from your dr for diah. he will know what it is for so if you get it you start medicine immediately.  Many Americans do this and it solves their problems by morning.  Others don't come prepared.  Other Americans even come with medicine for Altitude.  No matter how young you are some people can not handle the high altitude ever some adjust and others are told to level go to a lower altitude.  Some people come with pills take them for a week and stop slowly and it is gone.  Be prepared.

I spent 3 months in Ecuador this summer. I loved the people. They were mostly friendly and very welcoming. I was invited to a house party, and the people I met treated me like they'd always known me. I also liked that Ecuadorans, for the most part, don't tend to settle their differences with violence or yelling. I spent almost every night hanging out at bars with other travelers. Not once did I see anyone fight or yell at anyone or poke their finger in anyone's chest. Spend every night for 3 months in American bars and tell me you won't at least see some drunk throw a stool or yell at someone. :)  Ecuadorans are very laid back, calm people. These are, of course, generalities and, as such, can never apply to 100% of any society.

I found them to be very honest, however, you will definitely see the "Gringo Tax" when you go to the store to buy anything. It's annoying and even offensive to other cultures, but I don't know how much harm they actually mean other than trying to get the most money for a product. It annoyed me when certain shops didn't post prices for products, because I personally felt it was so they could have the option to quote a different price depending on the customer.

Ecuadorans seem to mind their own business. They may or may not say hello when you pass them on the street, but if you say "Hola," then they will smile and act happy to see you. As an American, they were very welcoming and wanted to ask me about the U.S. and what I thought of Ecuador. Whatever problems the U.S. and Ecuador governments may have, the people seem to realize that those are government squabbles and has nothing to do with the American travelers. Also, I use the term "American" to describe myself since we and Europeans use the word to describe U.S. citizens. But while in Ecuador I always tried to say I was from the US. Many Ecuadorans consider themselves "Americans" also, and a few of them get annoyed by U.S. people hogging the term. Everyone from the Americas is essentially an American, right?  :)

I wish you well and hope you have as much fun as I did.

Dobro K wrote:
jessekimmerling wrote:

I've read that there are some places where the water is unsafe to drink. Is that the whole country? Is it like India, where one drop will get you sick?

There are places where the tap water is safe to drink, but it will probably require you to go through a little sickness while your body adjusts to new intestinal flora. There are also many places where the water is not safe. There are even places where, as I discovered, even the local brand of bottled water is unsafe, such as Esmareldas city. As a general rule of thumb, I drink bottled water, but, it's cheap to buy a 3 gallon jug after you've invested in the refilable bottle.

Oh I forgot their are a few that are weird and off the wall and take everything wrong...and got to extremes as you can tell so don't try and have conversations that are real it would not do any good they just go to extremes.  My daughter is Ecuadorian and you can have wonderful intelligent conversations and she does not go off the wall but you do not know who your talking to so you have to be careful.  Just read and you they have answer your question perfect.  Perfecto Bravo as my daughter would say Timo

hi man i wish to know friens from usa. i want to practice my english and if  you are agre i can help you with your spanish.!!

I am ex expat and have lived in Cuenca for 3 years with my Columbian wife. We have traveled all over Ecuador and we drink the water even though bottled water is available everywhere. We eat at any and all places in the city and the outlying towns. I was sick with 3 amoebas and a worm 2 years ago. Got a few pills from the doctor and was well in two days. My body is now accustomed to Ecuador water and food.  Cuenca has been rated at the best water in the world! When I live in San Diego the Mexicans would come from Mexico and get sick drinking our water. Lear Spanish and get along great. No need for perfect Spanish. Just learn the basics to be understood. Like "me indian, me build fire me smoke weenie" not grammatically correct but understandable. Come enjoy the Country and the wonderful people!!

Agreed, but you may want to be careful with that "Me smoke weenie' part.

Smoke weenie?! Not so sure I'll ever need that term.

Timo I don't think the average American take offense over a question like how do we drive?
We would say some drive good some drive bad the ones that drive bad stay away they are not normal.  We would not take that personal.  Now if you said your child has a birth defect and needs a doctor immediately we might take that personal.  Or you called us a F- - k War M-g or something like that it might get words going back and forth.  But anything about cars no.  Maybe a few people about religion and politics it might get heated but cars no NO.  Unless the American is unstable.  really who cars whether you drive poorly.  In P.R. they are known to drive like Bandits and they are proud of it.  I have friends that brag about it.  No but if you call their wife some thing they might get verbal.  But at my age nothing really gets me fighting mad I do get verbal and talk back my point of few and share.  I have been known to change my point of few.
But never loose control or hate people I don't even know people who hate people.  Matter a fact the only person I know personally that talks all the time about blacks this or that is the President of the USA.  My black friends never even bring it up they are to busy living life to bring up what color they are.  It seems to be the Presidents of the USA;s problem.

I love legal walls too.  Legal walls.  Not every where LEGAL WALLS TOO.  jUST SO WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE LOVE IT.  Not on my front door its not cute.  Again put it on your car your front door I think that is cute or the legal wall but NOT MINE RESPECT.  SMMR44

Hi!
About the locals. That depends on which area you are planning on going to. We have lived in Cuenca a little over two years and have many, wonderful local friends. You need to know that "locals"  are devided into two major groups. The indigenous people and those decended from the Spaniards. In our case, both are friendly, polite but not ready to commit too deep of a friendship. They take their time to get to know and trust you. Once they do, you are almost like a part of the family, previliges as well as responsibilities. In general they are very kind and tolarent of foreigners. But once you cross the line, watch out. All good things come to an end. Same as everywhere else in the world.
They are curious and talented in the area of arts and crafts, don't have a good sence of American humor as I can tell, and they seldom give a direct answer.
Anyone in Ecuador is a lousy driver as far as I can tell, including expats! Traffic signes and red lights are a suggestion, not enforces, though as of late we see a lot of police giving out tickets to violators, though I don't clearly understand the rules as, one thing is consistent in Ecuador is inconsistency. So, if you come with an open mind, willing to adher to what laws there are, have a good sense of humor and are non-judge mental, by all means, come on down. If there is not enough creativity, perhaps you can bring some and share it. If you have the attitude that you can 'teach these people how to live' you had best reconsider. Life's momentum in this part of the world is truly MAÑANA. Take it slow and be kind and you will win them over!
Bien future.

smmr wrote:

Et al...

A few more paragraph breaks would make it far easier to understand what you're writing...

---

Ecuador is great, the people are friendly, the art scene (including street art) is vibrant and talented, and in most places it's very safe to walk home from a restaurant or down the road to another bar or to catch a taxi.

Oh, and drinking the water in the major cities is fine, unless you have a really sensitive stomach. Which if the case I'd see a doctor about. ;)

Or you don't have a Gall Bladder or you are one of those Old cranky Gringos that some people talk about.
Or you have fibromyalgia or other diseases that old age can bring so the doctors don't recommend you drink the water here even though bloggers recommend you do.  It is best to go with the doctors in that case they are Ecuadorian doctors but they know what they are talking about it is not the water it is the pipes etc.
But we will leave criticism where it lies.  Each to our own.  There is a Engineer in my building and even though my building is new he suggests I don't drink the water and he lists out the reason.  I have been in the hospital 2 times and they just said don't drink the water.  Thank you for your kind words where did you get your as a doctor?

Did I not say see a doctor if you had issues with drinking the water? And it seems you did, so issue addressed...

DO NOT DRINK THE WATER PLEASE!! your stomach is much sensitive, mine is really STRONG, I am Ecuatoriana so I can eat almost everything, but your stomach is different, mine is food proof haha

It all depends what your experience is in other parts of the world  to compare it to.  In my experience even though I speak the language it has been very hard to make friends here in big city Quito (I'm sure smaller towns could be different )and I agree with what someone else said that the Ecuadorians are closed people. Their  priorities are elsewhere with family and old school friends, nothing wrong with that but can cause a lot of frustration from the ex-pats part!  Many expats I know  who have lived here for years in Quito have few  local friends (maybe if you hang out in bars and are single you have better luck but that's not for me), in my experience as a female I've had better luck with men (and I wasn't single) than women.  In the shops with fixed prices you are generally  are dealing with honest people (but not always so check your change carefully) but in the fruit and vegetable markets  and taxis you will be taken advantage of unless you know the weights of things (scales can be fixed).  My advice is choose a vender that looks honest and always go to them so they will start throwing in little things for free for you as the regular customer.  Taxi drivers are the worst and it always is very refreshing to have an honest taxi driver.  Once you know how much a route costs, I pay the fare I know it costs.   If you are a woman and have blue eyes and blonde hair walking by yourself you are likely to bet harassed by males from time to time as blue eyes are a novelty. North America holds an  obvious attraction for Ecuadorians and  perhaps because I am not from this part of the world this has made it more difficult to make friends - just a guess.....

If you need an honest driver that will offer you a better deal I can give you the number I use him when I go to Quito and he charges less

I think it really depends on you more than the locals. In 5 months in Quito I made some very good local friends (even with my really bad Spanglish!), but then I went to events where there were both expats and locals, I played football with some locals, I went out drinking to bars where there were locals and made the effort to engage with them ...etc. I'll be returning to Ecuador later this year to live, and I have no qualms that I'll be making more and more local friends as time goes by, even more so once my Spanish improves.

Now if you're someone who doesn't get out much, who doesn't want to try to learn Spanish, do things that the locals like doing, say hello to a new local person you come across, then you probably will find it hard to make local friends. But then you would anywhere in the world acting like that.

So take a chance, you have nothing to lose and a lot of new friends and experiences to gain.

---

And stomach strength or weakness has nothing to do with nationality, and everything to do with your travel experience and personal constitution. I think years of drinking has sorted mine out just fine! ;)

danygirl8903 wrote:

DO NOT DRINK THE WATER PLEASE!! your stomach is much sensitive, mine is really STRONG, I am Ecuatoriana so I can eat almost everything, but your stomach is different, mine is food proof haha

So what can I do Daniela? I will have to eat and drink eventually haha.
All this information is very helpful, thanks to everyone, including the "cranky gringo!"
Some people say it takes 2 years to learn Spanish, how long did it take some of you to be at least conversational in Spanish?

boil the water first or bring a water filter from the States, here they are really expensive, useful but way too expensive (we are talking of 1000 dls or more) I boil the water, it is cheap, kills germs and it is effective

Intelligent?Creative?
You're kidding right? Asking a question along the lines of a questionable evolution process for any people is infuriating to these people who read these blogs and other readers like. You're question as posted only puts other gringos in harms way or makes thier own thought process regarding other nationalities suspect. THINK before asking!
Try some tact or use some thought before asking for feedback.
[***]