Credit Cards

Hi all,

I've been looking for information about various credit cards available here on the Island.

I've tried looking at the various websites (SBM, MCB, Afrasia, Bank One, HSBC etc), but not all of the sites provide information or are fully functional.

I wanted an idea of monthly/annual fees and any benefits of one over another.  Thoughts?  Which credit cards would you recommend?

Hi Aakayb,

I bank with SBM and I use VISA Debit, Credit and Prepaid Cards.
For the debit card, there is no annual fee and all transactions on all SBM ATMs are free as well.
However, a transaction on a non-SBM ATM (local & abroad) will cost you MRU 75.

For credit card, the conditions and fees vary depending on the type of card namely classic, business, gold and platinum. The terms and conditions are available online but it will be better to see directly with the bank as you can have a card tailor-made based on your needs and specifications.

For the prepaid card, you can buy one either in GBP, Euro, USD or MRU. There are two types: a general purpose card and a Travel-related one. The prepaid card can also be used online.
However, there is a limit to the amount that can be loaded onto the card and also on the number of times the card can be reloaded.
Here are the terms and conditions:
http://www.sbmgroup.mu/downloads/produc … id_t_c.pdf

You will be entitled to many advantages with the cards like discount at hundreds of merchant partners and cash rebate programs at varying rates depending on your spending.

Hi Kaviraj,

Thanks for the info.  I am with SBM for debit, but thought I'd check if any of the others might be better for a cc.

Kaviraj G wrote:

Hi Aakayb,

I bank with SBM and I use VISA Debit, Credit and Prepaid Cards.
For the debit card, there is no annual fee and all transactions on all SBM ATMs are free as well.
However, a transaction on a non-SBM ATM (local & abroad) will cost you MRU 75.

For credit card, the conditions and fees vary depending on the type of card namely classic, business, gold and platinum. The terms and conditions are available online but it will be better to see directly with the bank as you can have a card tailor-made based on your needs and specifications.

For the prepaid card, you can buy one either in GBP, Euro, USD or MRU. There are two types: a general purpose card and a Travel-related one. The prepaid card can also be used online.
However, there is a limit to the amount that can be loaded onto the card and also on the number of times the card can be reloaded.
Here are the terms and conditions:
http://www.sbmgroup.mu/downloads/produc … id_t_c.pdf

You will be entitled to many advantages with the cards like discount at hundreds of merchant partners and cash rebate programs at varying rates depending on your spending.