Certidao de estado legal

Hello fellow Expats,

We have applied for our Permanent Visas, waiting patiently, but when we applied, the federal agent said we can apply for our certificate of legal status. What is this thing?

Also we have our protocol number. What happens now, do I have to schedule an appointment with the federal police or is there anything else we need to do? I feel it is a pretty useless number. Can I work legally with this number?

I applied based on the birth of a child, that ECONOMICALLY depends on me, but they won't let me economically live in Brazil. How strange. Brazil - where you get lost not in the forest but in the paperwork

Thank you

Shaun

I have a 'Certidao de estado legal' too. It already expired, and haven't seen a need to get another one. Mine was valid for 90 days which means I had to keep going back every 90 days for another.

Now that you have your protocol you sit back and wait at least a year for a home visit by the DPF. Could be as much as 4 years. You must bring your protocol into the DPF on the date of expiration on your protocol to get it re-stamped. Usually every 90 days until you receive permanency.

I strongly suggest that if you can do it, return to Canada and apply for your permanent visa there. It takes 3-6 months and once you get it - you are done. No waiting 1-4+ years. The catch is you can not come to Brazil into the visa is issued.

Did they say you can't work here? That is b/s. You can work here now that you have a protocol based off a Brazilian child.

Read this thread about the work book: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242172

The MTE was about the most pleasant experience I have had in Brazil since I have moved here. In and out within 25 minutes, no issues, no return trips. NADA.

:D

Thanks usmc_mv

I guess I better go get my SINCRE number. I didn't even know about this. They never suggested anything about it.

But back to my question - what is this certificate of legal status. Why do I need to get this? I have a child, this is my proof of legal status.

I also didn't even think about the work book. Currently I have a business in Canada that is paying me. So this is not really a problem, and I only have to deal with taxes in Canada. So I am okay with this too.

Thanks for all your help

They no longer issue the SINCRE. They issue the Certidao de estado legal in its place. With it you can open a bank account, but it just depends on the person at the bank. Truthfully it is a waste. Your work book is a better document than the protocol and letter combined.

Also you really should get the work book regardless. It is a valid ID here and is easier to use and carries more weight than your passport.

Matt-

Thanks for your help with this Matt. Much appreciated.