Primary Schools in Estonia

So, as usual, I'm doing TONS of research before I'm able to get everything going to move there. I've been looking into the schools.

I have a 7 year old son with some behavior problems. He's had VERY little exposure to Estonian language (he's watched and even helped me with my online learning course and has heard my girlfriend speak a little bit of Estonian), and I'm wondering what kind of schools are going to be there to help him.

I was reading that most schools have an Integration Plan in place for foreign kids, but also that many have not used it. What is your advice for this? I know that Tartu and Tallin have international schools, but they're actually quite expensive. Are there any public schools that are very good with their integration plans? My girlfriend is willing to call them and get information for me, which she's already done (so sweet!), but I just want to be able to help and maybe give her some schools that she may not have already looked into.

Tanun and nägemist!
Bee

Hi GothicChick, Tervist!

The real scenario depends on where you want to move to. You will find that Tartu is a better place to raise a family. I'm 27 and my girlfriend is 37. She has two little girls. Their dad was an American guy. They grew up here and speak Estonian fluently, and speak English as if they were taken out of the midwest and placed in a foreign country.

Our girls (my pseudo step-kids), are ages 8 and 6. One goes to a pre-school here and the other at the local primary school.

You can bring your kids to the local public schools and get them enrolled. They usually integrate well, but it may take some time at first. I know a guy who moved here at age 15... was fluent in Estonian by 19. He went through an integration program at the local high school. It will probably be more stressful for your son to start school at his age now, but he will learn the language faster and adapt twice as quickly than a teenager.

I'm well rooted into the American Expat scene here in Tartu. I probably know (or at least know of) every American mixed family in the Tartu area, which would also mean some potential playmates with other "american/half-American" kids around here.

Our girl your son's age go to Mart Reiniku Kool (mart reiniku school)

Attached you'll see a link to a list of schools in the area P6hikoolid (primary schools)

Good luck!
https://www.tartu.ee/?lang_id=1&menu_id=8&page_id=942