Buying a car in Estonia

Tere!

I have recently moved to Tartu and I am in the market to buy a used car but I don't know what is required.

I will be studying, but I don't have a residence visa yet, as that will come after August. My partner is Estonian, but she doesn't have a drivers license. I have an Australian license, and an international license and have no problem hiring and driving cars here so far.

Its my understanding that I can buy a car legally, but that perhaps I will not be able to buy the insurance since I am not a part of the EU. Is this true?

Can I legally buy and drive a car before I have a residence visa?

What options do I have?

Finally, in Australia there are services for mobile mechanics who will inspect a vehicle to highlight and problems. Is there this sort of thing here, or do you know of anybody who might be able to provide this sort of service Tartus?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Aitah,
Bobby

Hello Bobby.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you will be helped by other members very soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Aurelie,

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I hope so too :)

Cheers,
Bobby

You can buy a car in Estonia and legally drive.

A few places to go and remember how this works.

1. Once you have your residence permit you can legally purchase and own a car in Estonia. They will use your Residence ID code.
2. After you find a car you like, it is insured for 7 days after the purchase. You will need to sign the title (a little green piece of paper issued by ARK)
3. You will need to get insurance to purchase the car, in Lounakeskus, there is an insurance place called "IF kindlustus" It is next to the central food court. Go in there, and purchase a 6 month or 1 year plan. They charge by the month and the power of the car (KW)It is okay if you are not EU citizen
4. If you are driving in Estonia, it is adviseable to carry your international driving permit with you in your passport. US licenses can be used for up to 2 years.
5. You will need to bring your passport, Estonian ID card, and Newly issued paper, Along with a bill of sale to ARK in order to transfer the name legally and properly.
6. Put the car in your partners name if it is too difficult, she can get a document on the ManteeAmet website that gives you permission to use the car while you are here, and she can legally own if in the case you are here temporarily. Transfer of title is approximately 90 Euros.

Good Luck!
I live in Tartu at the moment, from the USA, but may be moving to Tallinn soon.

Cheers!

Chris

Hey Chris!

Thanks for all that information. I guess for the time being then we will purchase the car into my partners name and she will give me permission :)

Do you know by any chance if she can purchase a car even though she doesn't have a license?

Thanks again,
Bobby

Hey Bobby,

Sure man, not a problem!
Yes, this is permitted, your partner can have the car in her name, the insurance will need to be in her name as well in order for this to work. She is allowed to own and insure a car even if she does not have a license, but you will need to make sure you print the document for permission and keep it in with the car documents at all times while driving the car.

Be advised though, even if you have permission to drive the car, you will have to drive the car on her insurance. If something happens to the car while you are driving using her insurance- remember that it will reflect on her future insurance premiums. So if the two of are you are comfortable with this, then that is the one way to go.

If you put the car in your name once you receive the residency permit, and if you are not staying permanently you can transfer the title to her name. Insurance can only be in the name of the owner of the car.

Shoot me a private message, I'll send you my email and phone- I live in Tartu, lets grab a beer! By the way, are you a student? and if so, are you living in Raatuse 22 4th floor?

Cheers,
Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks again for all this. We are resuming looking for a car again.

That is not me in Raatuse :) I am in Kalevi.

A beer would be great - I will be a student in August studying Estonian Language and Writing. How does mid next week sound? Should be interesting to meet another person who has found himself in this interesting part of the world.

Cheers,
Bobby