Estonian Universities -- Master's Programs in English

I am considering attending U Tartu, pursuing an M.A. in EU-Russian Relations.

I would like to hear from expats (non-native Estonians), who have attended an Estonian University and completed a degree; specifically from any U.S. citizens, as I have questions specific to the use of financial aid (FAFSA)

Hello faithamaris.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hi Faith,

I see your post and I think I can help. I have two friends who are studying in the University of Tartu dept. of Political Science. One is studying EU-Russia Relations and her husband just graduated from Baltic Studies programs offered in English.

What are your questions specifically? Typically financial aid is not able to cover your studies at an Estonian University (or international university) for that matter. That is unless of course you are a Fulbright Scholar or have received a scholarship for international studies.

If you apply to the University of Tartu either through ISEP, or a bilateral agreement, typically the agreement is that your Fafsa (if pell grant or otherwise) will pay for your tuition at your local university (in the USA) and your studies in Estonia will be free, but you're still technically paying the same amount.

As for studying here, The university of Tartu has extensive funding available and offers free spots for studies to foreign students (from USA and other countries too) where you will need to submit a CV and entry letter to get in, and if accepted, you can have a free place for the 2 year Master program here at the University. If you get acceptance to the school, you will receive an invitation for studies which you can then of course later bring to the migration office and get your student visa (aka residency permit for studies) which will be valid during your 2 years here.

You can also stay in a student dormitory on Raatuse 22 street for approximately 120 Euros a month and carryout your free studies. Its actually a very good deal, and if you get the free spot, you very may might not even have to deal with FAFSA, because after all... FAFSA typically only works for Undergrads, and typically only works for US Universities and Colleges.

The university is ranked 413th in the world, and is about 1/4th the cost of American Universities. The programs are pretty tough, but certainly worthwhile if you consider the option. Especially if you have a budget to consider.

Good Luck and let me know if I can be any extra help.

Cheers!
Chris

cjacobs86 wrote:

Hi Faith,

I see your post and I think I can help. I have two friends who are studying in the University of Tartu dept. of Political Science. One is studying EU-Russia Relations and her husband just graduated from Baltic Studies programs offered in English.

What are your questions specifically? Typically financial aid is not able to cover your studies at an Estonian University (or international university) for that matter. That is unless of course you are a Fulbright Scholar or have received a scholarship for international studies.

If you apply to the University of Tartu either through ISEP, or a bilateral agreement, typically the agreement is that your Fafsa (if pell grant or otherwise) will pay for your tuition at your local university (in the USA) and your studies in Estonia will be free, but you're still technically paying the same amount.

As for studying here, The university of Tartu has extensive funding available and offers free spots for studies to foreign students (from USA and other countries too) where you will need to submit a CV and entry letter to get in, and if accepted, you can have a free place for the 2 year Master program here at the University. If you get acceptance to the school, you will receive an invitation for studies which you can then of course later bring to the migration office and get your student visa (aka residency permit for studies) which will be valid during your 2 years here.

You can also stay in a student dormitory on Raatuse 22 street for approximately 120 Euros a month and carryout your free studies. Its actually a very good deal, and if you get the free spot, you very may might not even have to deal with FAFSA, because after all... FAFSA typically only works for Undergrads, and typically only works for US Universities and Colleges.

The university is ranked 413th in the world, and is about 1/4th the cost of American Universities. The programs are pretty tough, but certainly worthwhile if you consider the option. Especially if you have a budget to consider.

Cheers!
Chris

Hello Chris,
    I'm waiting to apply MSc in software engineering at UT. I obtained the BSc Hons in computing degree from a UK university.  Also, I have 4 years of work experience. Do you think my application might select?

asela28sl wrote:
cjacobs86 wrote:

Hi Faith,

Cheers!
Chris

Hello Chris,
    I'm waiting to apply MSc in software engineering at UT. I obtained the BSc Hons in computing degree from a UK university.  Also, I have 4 years of work experience. Do you think my application might select?

This post is over 6 years old. I'm not you sure will get a reply.

@ Asela28sl : Please feel free to create a new thread in the Estonia forum, it might raise your chances to obtain some responses from members.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team