Fix an Overheating Laptop!

Hi all, I am looking for someone who can help me understand what's causing the heat of my laptop,the vents/fan blow hot air,especially when I open more windows. I've never cleaned my laptop since it was bought 2 years ago. I don't have any can of compressed air to clean dust or unwanted particles. I need to know the heat source. If it is related to how much data the CPU chugs through, I need help to manage my processes better to lighten the load. Contact me please or give me some other contacts.Thanks

Hi Dan,

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvQyZt4Vs2yVo5EVY8A5S62l4lIcGAz2haDxtUf7alfs0Y8TUNQw
Surprising that you're just noticing this now... Notebooks and netbooks, unlike the larger desktop computers, simply don't have adequate cooling systems.

This is why there are dozens of laptop coolers sold in every computer accessory department worldwide.

They're simply a support, with or without fans, that helps to dissipate the heat.

The heat is generated by the heat sinks doing their job and the fans cooling them and other components. The hotter the ambient air then of course the less the heatsinks and cooling fans are able to do their job. As stated above, some additional fans may help. The harder the machine works, the more the processor heats up and the more work the heat sink and fans have to do their job.

If you have not cleaned it for 2 years then you should have.

A vacuum cleaner used very carefully will help in this as will a small clean and previously unused paint brush.
Buy yourself some compressed air if you don't have any and use it also.
Think about what's happening here and then adopt a suitable regime to look after the equipment.
Also, point to note, when temperature of air is above about 80 deg F (26.6 deg C) fans become inefficient and no longer have a direct cooling effect but they do help move the air around and that can feel helpful.
Another thing, don't work your laptop on your lap!!!
Serious burns have been caused on bare skin and doing so will block ventilation. Place the machine on a worktop and try to raise it off the surface, leaving an air gap between the surface and the base of the machine.  Or as previously mentioned use one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81aZuhqIvxL._SL1500_.jpg

Yours sincerely; a nerd :)

If you need someone to look at it, I reccommend Gloria at Centric Computers in St. Pul's Bay. It's a family run place and very resonablly priced. It is across the road from the HSBC.

You can also use the Task Manager to monitor the processes that are running and switch some off to take the load off the processor, that will/may reduce heat depending on the workload.