Registering a birth in Sri Lanka

Hi,

About to have a baby or already had children? Let's share your experience about the paperworks for registering a birth in Sri Lanka.

What are the formalities to obtain a birth certificate?

What is the procedure to follow if both parents are of the same nationality or for a mixed couple?

Thank you in advance for participating,

David

I had a baby (well, technically speaking, my wife did) in Sri Lanka.

Government wise, it was trouble free.

Doctor wise, it was harrowing!

But that's another story, let's just say you should choose your doctor carefully.

Paperwork is minimal, just make sure you check in to the hospital with correctly spelled names, and they prepare the one page birth registration for you, either help them with it, or check it carefully, and then take it to the Registrar of Births, where they will give you a Birth Certificate in Sinhala, and translations into English as well, for a small fee.

I'm Canadian, my wife is Indian, and my baby boy had a Canadian Passport almost immediately, thanks to the wonderful Canadian High Commission in Sri Lanka, all we had to do is to give our documents and the birth certificate issued by the Sri Lankan authorities.

Unfortunately, being born in Sri Lanka does not entitle you to be a Sri Lankan Citizen, so I had to pay 100% tax on some land I bought, but now, I guess that is also out the window, and it is near impossible to purchase land in this beautiful country!

Let me know if anybody needs more advise or guidance on having a baby in Sri Lanka.

@samsrilanka - thank you for the sharing of information :)

Hello everybody.
Here I'm asking some information about birth registration and birth certificate in Sri Lanka. My spouse (wife) is a Sri Lankan citizen while I'm belong to Pakistan. We got baby, now what should be done for baby's birth registration and birth to certificate. Kindly reply me with some useful information about the above mentioned matter. Thanks