How to bring your car to Sri Lanka

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Sri Lanka, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Sri Lanka?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Sri Lanka, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Sri Lanka?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

1+, I also want an answer to this question :)

me too in need to know if its easy to bring my car there

Hi everyone,

I found this : http://www.customs.gov.lk/declaration/mvu

Maybe it could help.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank you bhavana

Hey

I got the details from the same link which you shared, well there was a huge process but I'm not sure whether it's changed now.

Above all, it was a bit difficult to find a company in Sri Lanka to ship all our items, especially one which has a website with all the relevant information. After going through some research on shipping websites and communities in Sri Lanka, I came across this company called Lanka Marine Services, they offer different kinds of services, shipping was one of them. According to my research, they are one of the oldest and well-known shipping company in the country.
You can contact them in case you need to ship anything to Sri Lanka:  lankamarine.com/contact-us/

Hope this information is helpful in case you want to ship your car to Sri Lanka! :)

Thank you very much Hannah for your message
I will contact them and see
Are you in Colombo or Kandy?
You are still living in Srilanka ?

I had the same problem when i first moved to Sri Lanka, a friend of mine living in SL suggested using Lanka Marine Services, they are efficient in their work as well as effective. I'll list a link to their website for anyone whose interested to check out, http://www.lankamarine.com/

Hi,
Anyone of you can give me a advice about how can I bring my car to Srilanka from UK for travel prepress (for 3months )

Hi there
I am.planing to import a car from Canada
Just want to know the options are and the prices
Is it more cheaper to buy a car in Sri Lanka or import from Canada
Please let me.know
Tha is
Haran Alfred

My opinion is that it's way better to import a car from Canada since vehicles are very expensive over here... But you mighy have to pay a huge tax when importing as well.. But still I guess that it's cheaper than buying a vehicle in Sri Lanka.

Importing vehicles is better than buying from Sri Lanka. Its very expensive in here. Even though the government impose a huge tax on imported vehicles, still it's pretty cheap to import. Are you living in Sri Lanka?

We are planning to move to Sri lanka shortly question...can we take our car which we have owned for some time...with out paying Hugh import tax...l was told we can long as we dont sell is this true...Thanking you