Retiring in Sri Lanka

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Sri Lanka? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Sri Lanka (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Sri Lanka's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Sri Lanka?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Please look at the mydreamhome visa programme from the Sri Lankan government.
We own Sri Lanka's only UK standard elderly care and retirement facility and seeing a growing trend of expats wishing to retire to SL.
Healthcare is relatively good if you know who to see and where to go, over the past few years we have built up a good healthcare network. Retiring to our facility is considerably more economical than Europe or the US.

My dream home visa programme
Please search this i think will be halpfull

As an Ex Sri Lankan living in Kandy for 2 years now there are benefits and drawbacks compare to Europe.  Benefits,

1) Here you do not pay personal income taxes
2) Prices are much cheaper compare to Europe
3) Do not need different cloths for seasons (Winter cloths)
4) Rent / lease are ok though if you are a pale skin person, you may risk paying almost double.

Drawbacks
1)  I have to renew my visa yearly, instead of 2,5 years or permanent residence visas. 
2) As a person over 65 years of age, Insurance companies here do not issue new health insurance coverage. Either you pay horrendous private hospital bills or go to govt. hospital
3) Environmental / sanitary problems such as air , noise, plastic pollution
4) Sometimes scarcity of fresh water and power cuts

Well there are always benefits and drawbacks everywhere. Say in Thailand you encounter language / understanding problem, clean you if you are white.
My advice is do not grouse, if you dont like pack n move on.

Gupi77,

Appreciate if you show more details regarding your elderly care and retirement facility.

Ca2ca

Hey guys, if anyone is interested in Travel and health insurance i think fairfirst would be your best bet. When i moved here i tried quiet a few but didn't really work for me but fairfirst did the job through their efficient and effective work. i'll list the website URL for you guys to check it out for yourselves, https://www.fairfirst.lk/

hi there are you on FB ?

Hi Hannah

Thanks for this info we ate moving in May to SL and havent had success so dar finding Health Insurance..wonder if they cater to the over 60's?. Will check it out or go to their office when we visit in Feb. How long have you lived in SL?
Rosemary

Hi All,

I'm Chamil and I've been in Australia for 10 years. I am originally from Sri Lanka. After around 5 years on a bridging visa I am finally a permanent resident.

I currently work as a Financial Planner and have noticed how expensive retiring in Australia is becoming.

I have a property in Sri Lanka which is listed on sites like Airbnb and is managed by my parents. I am wondering if there is a demand for Australians looking to live/retire overseas.

If so, what are the most important factors/concerns?

I have already identified issues such as access to social security benefits, healthcare, visas etc.

Any insight or experiences you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Please also let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.

Cheers

Chamil

Hi Chamil

Yes,this,is,what my husband and I have just embarked,on..after much planning.
We,thought it made a,lot of sense. To move to such a,lovely country with a,cheaper lifestyle means,our,money goes further.
I had to learn all the ropes to bring a dog Lilly here. 2 agents many stories and untruths to decider we did it! And she is,in one piece.
We bought land last year. have,our architect plans now,hoping to get all they council to build our,home on lake land down south.
we had to discover reasonable storage facilities and insurance for same.
we also found,a,well priced rental..which we,need for a year. This is important as we see a,necessity but really money down the drain.
will now,look for a,good Vet,Doctor and dentist. Personal recommendations we will follow.
The,customs,duty is a large consideration. so if not a,resident probably better to get furniture made,here.
where is,your air bnb ?
regards

Hi Rosmin63,

Thanks for the reply. The property is located in Pinnawala, close to the elephant orphanage and around 1 hour from Kandy.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/11091299

Congratulations on taking this step and best of luck with the build. The process can be exhausting but I'm sure the end result will be worth it.

My thought is to provide an option for those who are not in a position to purchase their own land/or want to have more flexibility. We have 3 bedrooms with en-suites as well as a large garden and common living areas.

We also have a cook who makes some wonderful food. So perhaps there is a market for retirees who want to pay weekly/monthly instead of/before committing to a more long term option. This offering will hopefully provide value as meals, furnishings, wifi etc. would also be included.

I wil note down your concerns regarding customs duty, storage and insurance. How much do you think the average retiree in a similar position to your self would spend on accommodation and food if you don't mind me asking?

I know a good vet and a UK trained dentist but both are in Colombo. I'm sure you can find some good recommendations online. You may be able to use the following service for basic medical needs. It's a start up a friend is working on.

https://odoc.life/

Cheers

Chamil

Hi Rosmin, We are a couple of 70 yr old retired Brits embarking on the same venture later this year and wondered if I could pick your brains. Coming over to SL 30th April and staying couple of days with friends in Negombo then over to Galle where we think there are more expats which we will need initially. We had planned on Nuwara Eliya for the climate and the people but thought we should look into Galle. Would appreciate it if you could email me: *** In anticipation. Annie and Rod Jefferson

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We are coming in August and doing tge Dreamhome visa. Can you tell me what you finally did about Health Insurance please. Hope you have settled. We are going to live in Nuwara Eliya. Regards Annie Jefferson

Apologies for the late response, my facility is called Cinnamon Care

Great!! Exciting for you.
We have our health insurance with fairfirst. For a discount 2nd year for not claiming! Cost me 80000 rps annual..not bad.
Good luck with it all..
Its beautiful where you will be living . Heading up that way in September for a small tour..

Sorry Annie havent obviously Leo up with this thread. I have joined many expat Facebook groups which O keep up with and ate really useful for all your questions. Helped me a lot.take care. Or use Messenger to contact me if you need.

Great thanks very much for that. I was toying with going with them. Did you get the 2 year visa? Are you actually in SL now? Regards. Annie

Yes..we moved here last year may 2018..
Living in Hikkaduwa...many things to learn.. but happy we made the move..

Hi Ros, Can't find you on Messenger. If you come up to Nuwara Eliya in September it would be good to meet up. Regards Annie Jefferson

Hello Annie, see you moved to Nuwara Elia last year. How is living up there? You happy with your choice?

My husband and I have made the transition well.  Before coming we had made good contacts up here in Nuwara Eliya which helped. Being Christians also I think helps, being involved with a Church. Our friends from Negombo with a rented guest house suffered financially so they came to live with us. Both Sri Lankan, he is 43, well educated in UK and his partner same age from a village in Kegalle, good cook, into crafts, good English. We hope very soon to open a small Half Way House for 4 or 6 poor teenage boys, teaching them English and vocational skills, so it has worked out well having our SL friends helping us with all the frustrating stuff etc. I recently went to the hospital, feeling exhausted, waited 2 hours, had blood test and suggestion of multi vitamins as some count was low and it was free!! In UK wouldn't have had appointment for at least a week.

Not found any other expats up here except a Canadian with a Sri Lankan wife and a Guest House, who we see regularly. Life is good for us. I am 72 and Rod is 75 and we are really respected because of our age. We do 2 hours a week at the Paynter Home orphanage, brilliant place, teaching knitting bags, chickens etc and English. Where are you?

It's great to see expats retiring to Sri Lanka having noticed a significant decline in this trend over the past 5 years.
We established a UK standard retirement/elderly care facility, cinnamon care, on a 3 acre estate just outside of Colombo and due to the various challenges some of which have been listed in the discussion, retiring to alternative countries such as Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia have been seen as better options.
We hope the attractiveness of the Sri Lanka will return to the its former glory and more and more people will make it their permanent home.

Greetings from China.

My wife and I are considering retiring to SL.  We are aware of the My Dream Home visa programme and would like to communicate with other expats living in long-term in SL, either as retirees or employees or business owners.  Private contact information can be shared through the messaging system (rather this forum). 

Thank you.

Yes we have been here 1 year now up in Nuwara Eliya because of the climate. Most ex pats all down on the coast but too hot for us Brits from North of England. Dreamhome Visa was quite straight forward. In fact easier than getting bank account! We are both retired in our 70's and about to start a Half Way House for teenagers.

Thanks, Annie.  Just PMed you.

Further to retirement, I would like to inquire about

1.  Health insurance -- Are there any reputable, depenedable insurers? 

2. Taxes -- As I understand, retirement visa holders are subject to tax on worldwide earnings if resident in SL for more than 180 days per year.  Is this accurate?

We couldn't get Health Insurance anywhere as we are both over 70. Here in Nuwara Eliya the small Private Hospital (a big shop) is very efficient, moreso than the UK, you actually come away with your Xray the same day! You have to cope with waiting hours in there though. Same in the Government hospital.

Taxes -  we only pay our English taxes on our rental properties, etc over there. Maybe somebody on here knows better.

Thanks, Annie. I sent a private message last week and wonder if you received.  Just started here so I might not be navigating properly.

Hi,
I'm Nadine, I'm French so I beg your pardon for my bad English.
I'm soon 60 years old and I'm going to live in Sri Lanka in April or may 2021.
I'm alone

How many time have you waited to obtain your resident visa?

And what is your budget every month?

Thank you for your time

@Chamilp

Hi...according to the availability calendar, there's nothing available for the next 12+ months.
Are you still open? If so, what is the rental price for a 2-month stay? (One person)
Thanks
Mick

@Mamounette858890 If you have all the paperwork as required for My Dream Home Visa and you have the medical at their Centre you can then get the Visa the same day by going in person to the visa office

Your budget is dependent on your lifestyle, accommodation needs and where you choose to live. A small village house will cost much less than living in a town or Colombo. I have been here 20+ years so if you needd any info message me

@Anniej47 My Dream Home Scheme has an arrangement with Ceylon Insurance for low cost Health Insurance, I am almost 80 and pay about 30,000rps per year, there is no upper age limit, For most initial health issues its best to visit a private hospital and pay a small channeling fee to see a consultant normally less than 2000rps

Hello everyone,

Kindly be aware that advertising is not allowed on the forum.

However, you are encouraged to post an advertisement in the designated section, namely Housing in Sri Lanka.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

If we are married do we both need the $15,000 (i.e. $30,000) for the Dream Home scheme?