Retiring in Sri Lanka

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Sri Lanka? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Sri Lanka (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Sri Lanka's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Sri Lanka?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Please look at the mydreamhome visa programme from the Sri Lankan government.
We own Sri Lanka's only UK standard elderly care and retirement facility and seeing a growing trend of expats wishing to retire to SL.
Healthcare is relatively good if you know who to see and where to go, over the past few years we have built up a good healthcare network. Retiring to our facility is considerably more economical than Europe or the US.

My dream home visa programme
Please search this i think will be halpfull

As an Ex Sri Lankan living in Kandy for 2 years now there are benefits and drawbacks compare to Europe.  Benefits,

1) Here you do not pay personal income taxes
2) Prices are much cheaper compare to Europe
3) Do not need different cloths for seasons (Winter cloths)
4) Rent / lease are ok though if you are a pale skin person, you may risk paying almost double.

Drawbacks
1)  I have to renew my visa yearly, instead of 2,5 years or permanent residence visas. 
2) As a person over 65 years of age, Insurance companies here do not issue new health insurance coverage. Either you pay horrendous private hospital bills or go to govt. hospital
3) Environmental / sanitary problems such as air , noise, plastic pollution
4) Sometimes scarcity of fresh water and power cuts

Well there are always benefits and drawbacks everywhere. Say in Thailand you encounter language / understanding problem, clean you if you are white.
My advice is do not grouse, if you dont like pack n move on.

Gupi77,

Appreciate if you show more details regarding your elderly care and retirement facility.

Ca2ca

Hey guys, if anyone is interested in Travel and health insurance i think fairfirst would be your best bet. When i moved here i tried quiet a few but didn't really work for me but fairfirst did the job through their efficient and effective work. i'll list the website URL for you guys to check it out for yourselves, https://www.fairfirst.lk/

hi there are you on FB ?

Hi Hannah

Thanks for this info we ate moving in May to SL and havent had success so dar finding Health Insurance..wonder if they cater to the over 60's?. Will check it out or go to their office when we visit in Feb. How long have you lived in SL?
Rosemary

Hi All,

I'm Chamil and I've been in Australia for 10 years. I am originally from Sri Lanka. After around 5 years on a bridging visa I am finally a permanent resident.

I currently work as a Financial Planner and have noticed how expensive retiring in Australia is becoming.

I have a property in Sri Lanka which is listed on sites like Airbnb and is managed by my parents. I am wondering if there is a demand for Australians looking to live/retire overseas.

If so, what are the most important factors/concerns?

I have already identified issues such as access to social security benefits, healthcare, visas etc.

Any insight or experiences you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Please also let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.

Cheers

Chamil

Hi Chamil

Yes,this,is,what my husband and I have just embarked,on..after much planning.
We,thought it made a,lot of sense. To move to such a,lovely country with a,cheaper lifestyle means,our,money goes further.
I had to learn all the ropes to bring a dog Lilly here. 2 agents many stories and untruths to decider we did it! And she is,in one piece.
We bought land last year. have,our architect plans now,hoping to get all they council to build our,home on lake land down south.
we had to discover reasonable storage facilities and insurance for same.
we also found,a,well priced rental..which we,need for a year. This is important as we see a,necessity but really money down the drain.
will now,look for a,good Vet,Doctor and dentist. Personal recommendations we will follow.
The,customs,duty is a large consideration. so if not a,resident probably better to get furniture made,here.
where is,your air bnb ?
regards

Hi Rosmin63,

Thanks for the reply. The property is located in Pinnawala, close to the elephant orphanage and around 1 hour from Kandy.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/11091299

Congratulations on taking this step and best of luck with the build. The process can be exhausting but I'm sure the end result will be worth it.

My thought is to provide an option for those who are not in a position to purchase their own land/or want to have more flexibility. We have 3 bedrooms with en-suites as well as a large garden and common living areas.

We also have a cook who makes some wonderful food. So perhaps there is a market for retirees who want to pay weekly/monthly instead of/before committing to a more long term option. This offering will hopefully provide value as meals, furnishings, wifi etc. would also be included.

I wil note down your concerns regarding customs duty, storage and insurance. How much do you think the average retiree in a similar position to your self would spend on accommodation and food if you don't mind me asking?

I know a good vet and a UK trained dentist but both are in Colombo. I'm sure you can find some good recommendations online. You may be able to use the following service for basic medical needs. It's a start up a friend is working on.

https://odoc.life/

Cheers

Chamil

Hi Rosmin, We are a couple of 70 yr old retired Brits embarking on the same venture later this year and wondered if I could pick your brains. Coming over to SL 30th April and staying couple of days with friends in Negombo then over to Galle where we think there are more expats which we will need initially. We had planned on Nuwara Eliya for the climate and the people but thought we should look into Galle. Would appreciate it if you could email me: *** In anticipation. Annie and Rod Jefferson

Moderated by Bhavna 4 days ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct