Roofing labour costs in southern province

I'm building a retirement villa in southern province and project managing it myself. Time has come to put the roof on the house and the builders preferred roofer is quoting me Rs230 per sq ft which on a square footage of 4000sq ft comes out to about Rs 1,000,000 more or less. The kicker is he reckons he and his helper will have it all done in a fortnight, breaking it down I'm being asked to pay approx Rs250,000 per man per week which sound ludicrous or am I being unfair. He is supplying the finishes but it m supplying all the materials and paying extra to have all the beams machine sanded before delivery. Comments?

My guess... likely they will take a month at least.
Then it start getting more reasonable wages.
Also one must remember as a lump sum the risk of any reason delay is on the Carpenters.
However you should negotiate.
Best luck,
Flavio

Dear ViatronMac
I checked your matter with a close personal friend - the Chairman and MD of one of the biggest construction firms in Sri Lanka.His opinion is forwarded below:

R. 230 per sq.ft. complete roof is very reasonable. Going rate with entire timber frame, valley gutters, hip tiles etc., Mangalore  roof tile going rate is close to Rs.300/- per sq.ft.
Rs.250,000/- per man week for skilled labour is very high. It should be around Rs.100,000/-. Without knowing the exact scope, it is difficult to give any definite response to your query.
Timber must be treated and backed by a Certificate of Treatment or impregnation.
Import timber are of various specimen and some get attacked within 3-5 years.
Are the beams exposed. Then only you need to machine sand all round. Otherwise only one side is needed.

I trust this helps.

Kind Regards
Alan David