Arriving in November - tips for accomodation & english schools please?

Hi there,

I am looking at visiting Da Nang at the end of November 2013 - depends on whether I land a contract for Abu Dhabi over the next week.

I would be coming to look for English teaching work, with view to staying for a few years.

Any tips for where to stay initially would be very appreciated ie. I'm on a very tight budget, but don't want to do the backpacker thing as I have had stuff stolen in past travels; so, need a hotel that is clean and 'safe' and not expensive for a week or so, until I find my feet.

If I cannot find English teaching work in Da Nang, then I will probably have to go back down to HCMcity.

I'm just testing the waters right now; any info you would like to share, links to websites, etc... most grateful for.

Cheers, Jaya.:)

Hi Jaya, almost hotel in Danang city really cheap the price about 250~400k VND. I know one hotel of goverment with name "Cong Doan Hotel" on Pasteur Street with 300k VND per day, my friends from Hanoi stayed there and its good. I you dont like it, you can find some hotel on Le Duan street, its so close with Danang railway and its also cheap. About for your job, teaching english in Danang city, you can try some places such as ELI besides Danang University, it's the biggest english school in Danang on Le Duan street, or Apollo on Quang Trung street and Ong Ich Khiem street. Have so much places but right now I'm not remember full.Besides, if you need my help you contact direct with me. Hope you will have a good time in Danang city.

Thank you so very much Truong... this helps me so much.  If I'm not going to Abu Dhabi, I will definitely be coming to Da Nang... I'll send you a message and let you know. I'm very grateful you took the time to respond and look forward to visiting your beautiful country; and, Danang. ;)

There are still Hotel's in Da Nang that are not 'approved' for Foreigners, you don't want to get that knock on your door at 10pm, from the Police, but at least they let us stay until morning before making us move to another hotel.  ( this was 2 yrs ago , and I was with my VN wife ).

I didn't know this - so thank you sincerely, for letting me know.

I am very grateful for everyone who has contributed their thoughts,hints and tips..... makes travelling so much kinder.

Bless you, Jaya.

Danang is nice place for stay and enjoy your life but not a city for you want to be a teacher and make money :-).
Have some English School like Apolo, ila, Vietmy... but i think it's so small not like HCM or Hanoi.
Hard to find job here if you no Work permits, HCM or HN more easy.
Good luck!

Thank you Katsu83.... I am looking now, at an offer near Hanoi, to teach.  Not too big a school, and not a huge amount of money compared to Australian standards; but, should be enough for me to save a little. Your post confirmed to me, that I should take this offer, instead of Danang. I'll come to Danang for a holiday instead. Bless you, for your clarity and tip. Cheers, JCD.

Katsu83 wrote:

Danang is nice place for stay and enjoy your life but not a city for you want to be a teacher and make money :-).
Have some English School like Apolo, ila, Vietmy... but i think it's so small not like HCM or Hanoi.
Hard to find job here if you no Work permits, HCM or HN more easy.
Good luck!

You only need a work visa after the 1st 3 months. But it would probably take that long for your Employer to organise one, ( while you are working ).
  I also agree with Katsu, Da Nang is one of the cleaner places in VN, ( many cars compared to other cities, and big streets ), plus hardly any people annoying you to buy stuff.

I just came back from Danang last week. It is a good city  and much quieter than HCMC , I have not been to Hanoi. There are many hotels available at prices less than 300,000 VND, and they are also clean and modern, with cable TV with English channels too ( unlike Thailand ). 
I will be moving there next May too hopefully but not to Danang City for me, but a bit further south to a town which has a much slower pace of life. 
I have read somewhere recently that the process for visa and work permit can take 4 weeks, which is also much quicker than the 3-4 months it takes in Thailand.
There are many opportunities in Danang I think , but you will have to do a lot of leg work to find them I felt.
Personally I may be lucky, because I have some Vietnamese friends who are helping me and also offering me work, albeit at a much lower rate than in the cities, but they are also helping with offering me extra work with other organisations and a free nice house to live in.
I am about to post another question on here that relates to Visas and WPs in Vietnam , which you may also find of interest, and I am hoping to get some constructive reponses to my question.