Planning to move from India to New Zealand

Hi Folks,

A big hello to all.

I am an Indian resident looking forward to move to NZ. I am a software engg by profession with 6+ years of work experience in Java and related web technologies. I want to know abt moving to NZ and getting a job there. I have classified my queries in some bullet points below. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

* I need to know the available options to get into the country. Can one straightaway immigrate to the country to work or first has to acquire a work visa and then can think of filing for a permanent residence.I did visit NZ govt's official site and saw the skills in demand and point system but found it somewhat confusing.
* What is the job scenario for me?
* I did talk to one of the consultants and he advised that one has to be there find a job and off course finding a job may take some time for me till then can I do some other work to sustain.
* Is there anyway to get a job and then a work permit on basis of the same?
* As I have no one there and I will be absolutely on my own once I come there, hence forth what all things I need to be prepared for.
* How much is the cost of living as I need to know till I get job how much I need to take care of my expenses.
* You can also give me some more insight in what kind of country NZ is, hows the work culture and how much is the presence of Indians there?

Thanks to all of you in Advance
Simrat

No replies :(

Hi Simrat! The life in New Zealand guide might help you.

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/oceania/new-zealand/

Good luck

Hi Simrat

Moving to NZ is a big decision, country is not as good fot IT as it is for other occupations
NZlanders are not open to others so they will not offer a job to u before hand, as told to u by a consultant u have to be here, only options left file ur PR in India or come as student to NZ

If u have worked for 2+ years in an MNC for software development u can qualify for PR under the skilled migrant category however it will take some time to get the case processed at the high consulate in India
Would rather suggest to move to some other fast moveing country in europe or in north america

got any queries ask them and i will try to help u out
Got nothing to turn u away from NZ, but the facts i found over the last couple of years

Simrat wrote:

Hi Folks,

A big hello to all.

I am an Indian resident looking forward to move to NZ. I am a software engg by profession with 6+ years of work experience in Java and related web technologies. I want to know abt moving to NZ and getting a job there. I have classified my queries in some bullet points below. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

* I need to know the available options to get into the country. Can one straightaway immigrate to the country to work or first has to acquire a work visa and then can think of filing for a permanent residence.I did visit NZ govt's official site and saw the skills in demand and point system but found it somewhat confusing.
* What is the job scenario for me?
* I did talk to one of the consultants and he advised that one has to be there find a job and off course finding a job may take some time for me till then can I do some other work to sustain.
* Is there anyway to get a job and then a work permit on basis of the same?
* As I have no one there and I will be absolutely on my own once I come there, hence forth what all things I need to be prepared for.
* How much is the cost of living as I need to know till I get job how much I need to take care of my expenses.
* You can also give me some more insight in what kind of country NZ is, hows the work culture and how much is the presence of Indians there?

Thanks to all of you in Advance
Simrat

The job situation is still tight and unemployment is rising.

Don't be misled into thinking that because an occupation is on a the jobs-in-demand list that means that there will be lots of vacancies that you can fill. Employers are being MADE to give preference to New Zealanders over immigrants on work visas. You may find that you won't even get an interview unless you've got a western sounding name.

Work culture is long hours and low pay, not much chance for progression. Some of the work practices and technology will be behind what you're used to.

Cost of living is high and rents are extortionate. Budget at least $600 NZ a week for just yourself and don't move family/belongings over, or commit yourself financially, until you have BOTH Permanent Residence AND a good job.

I'll second what Willpassaway said, look for a country that's more fast moving and progressive where your skills will be valued.

Simrat

We got permanent residency, a good job, so bought a house and moved our belongings over here.  Now my husband has lost his job due to the recession with little chance of any in the near future because the government is about to make major cutbacks to healthcare.  And he has just been refused another interview today because they said he is too skilled for the job they advertised. 

We can't even afford to go to the dentist. We live a very poor life compared to what we had in the UK. 

But - if you can live on a very low wage and are prepared to live in lodgings, you might just find a way. Perhaps NZ will have other things that will inspire you.

I too had the same questions as Simrat had, and thankful to see replies....How good is the situation now for an IT professinal?

No change and not likely to get any better for a long time yet.

NZ is one of those countries that is very slow to progress. :(

The job market shows u many jobs but wonder where those jobs are

You are either over qualified or under qualified

After 2 of PR in NZ still struggling to make to good position in IT,
security guards in aussie are paid more than most of the IT pro's in NZ

Hey simrat hit me with ur email id and i shall help u out with nz immigration
thanks
Gagan

Gagan wrote:

Hey simrat hit me with ur email id and i shall help u out with nz immigration
thanks
Gagan

Hi Gagan,
Why don't you give your information here on the forum? It could help other forumers! and that's the goal of Expat.com!
Cheers
FeeAcer

I agree with the post above.

Helping someone with immigration forms means nothing if the person cannot find what he/she needs when they get here.

And with your own good education Simrat, you should be able to fill out the forms yourself.  Gagan, you sound more like an immigration agent rather than someone trying to help his fellow countryman.  You have not even attempted to answer any of the questions he posed.

Simrat - why not check out the Auckland Indian Association at
www.aiai.org.nz  for more information about living in NZ.

Good luck :)

Hi
I am Indian resident.I need to know the available options to get into the country.

I need a job offer in NZ.Please help me in this regard

hi mkavitha,

To be honest companies dont just issue out job offers here, and your overseas qualifications are not majorly looked at, but there are other ways to get settled, why don't you consider coming to study here, and in turn get some valuable experience and possibly apply for some jobs locally,

[Moderated: No fre ad on the forum pls]

[Moderated: please post in the Jobs section]

Hi Folks,

A big hello to all.

I am an Indian resident looking forward to move to NZ. I am a software engg by profession with 9+ years of work experience in Java/J2EE and related web technologies. I want to know abt moving to NZ and getting a job there.
I have worked for global MNC companies like Logica,CGI & Sychronouss solutions.

My mail id is [email protected]
My mobile no is +91 9448547126

Any assistance/suggestions in this regard would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Steven

Best thing to do is to check the NZ govt immigration website for information as to how you can get a visa, what sort of visa and what qualifications etc you need to get a visa.

HI all,
I am a hospitality graduate with over 2 years of sexperience, i am want to move to new-zealand with a job but not getting any break-through as all the consultants are telling to take up a course, I am not interested in studying any further.
any helps?

thanks a ton in advance

rownaq
If you have no qualifications your chances of getting a job are zero.

Hello,

I am an IT proffessional from India with 8 years of experience on JDEdwards and willing to relocate to Newzeland. Please let me know how is the job market for my technology and how is the cost of living and is it good time to relocate to Newzeland.

Please suggest

Thanks
Indrasena

Indrasena.
Read the previous posts. To be honest you will not be able to find a job in NZ. 
For cost of living www.numbeo.com

Hi ,

I wish to pursue a basic accounting course at Newzealand. Would
would appreciate if i could get some information on the same.

Thanks in advance

Tejashwini135

Best thing to do would be do an online check to find out what courses are available. Then see about a student visa.

You will probably find that the courses offered are not basic but will be advanced and would require you to have had undergone previous study in accounting.

This is to stop people misusing the student visas to gain entry into New Zealand.

Hi,

Thanks for the email.

Wish to know lots about Newzealand.

I am a CA and i wish to pursue basic accounting course. So i need to know the best course available and university details .
Also wish to know the job opportunities there after finishing the course.

Thanks

Check the NZ govt immigration website for information on the study visa.
If you qualify for a visa then after you have done your study course your visa can be extended to allow you to find a job.
No use looking for job opportunties until you have the qualififcations
Look online if you want to know more about NZ. 
For cost of living www.numbeo.com

A big hello to all.

We are planning to move to NZ.I have couple of questions regarding my EOI.

1. My degree is recognized at NZQA (Master of Science) and before Jun-2011 change my institute was also recognized but now they removed from the recognized institute list. DO I still need to assess my qualification.

2. My husband's institute is recognized but his degree is now not under NZQA recognized qualification list. He has done MCA but his bachelor degree is recognized so do we still need to go for NZ qualification assessment.

Waiting for reply.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Am sathish kumar K from Hyderabad, AP, India

MBA with 8years of experience in retail & business development.

Looking for a better opportunity & Chance in New zeland to settle rest of my life with my skillsset.

Request you to update the present openings in Healthcare, Hospitality, Retail operations & business development opportunities across newzeland.

Thanks & regards
Sathish Kumar Kommi
[email protected]
+91 9704276888

Vanitha Athmalingam wrote:

I love Newzealand... I want to work there and settle over there...

Hey Simrat:

1. With your Exp. you have 2 options, either file PR under SMC and wait for atleast 2 years to get it approved. Most probably you will get WTR ( work to Residence ) visa to come here and search for job. Or come here on Study visa.
Getting job directly scores very rare chance

2. That depends on you, Exp doesn't guaranty for job.

3. Consultant is Right.

4. Yes indeed, Approach employers and if you are lucky like 1 in 1000 then you could.

5. Nothing special , it would be like any other foreign country and will need you to be prepared for normal things.

6. For a single person and from North India I reckon you need atleast $ 800 for you.. Rest is on you... At a time I lived around 500 bucks per month :p but now its more than 1500 though

7. 22 Punjabi hi Punjabi hege ney, Bandya di tention ni leni,,, you will get big Indian crowd here :D

Personally I will suggest you to come here on Study, don't wte money and time for any higher study at uni... Get some affordable Fast track one in good PTE ... You will cover up the money in 1 year only... else you will wait in India for 2 years to get direct PR application approved :)

(Moderated)

Hi All..
Could you please let me know how to get NZ work visa...Actually i am software Engineer Having 3 Years exp in DBA.what is the chances to get a job over dere in software domain and management

yuga4444

Read all the previous posts which give information about getting a visa.

Hi All,

I am software engineer looking to move to New Zealand. I have already started with the PR process. But after going through the discussion on job opportunities now in this forum, i am scared and thinking whether i did a mistake in starting the visa process.

I have 5+ years of exp in datawarehousing technologies with multiple tools like informatica, owb etc.

Please some one suggest me the job opportunities. I may get visa by end of this 2013 year. Will there be any chance to get a job there?

Please provide me your valuable feedback and any help regarding the same is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chavali.

Do an online search to see what job opportunites are available.
This will give you many websites that you can check out.

For cost of living numbeo.com NZ is an expensive place to live in. In this area it is second only to Australia as the most expensive country in The asia pacific region.

Hi I am an electrical engg an I am planning for M.S in New Zealand ...may I know what are the job apportunities in New Zealand after completing my post graduation...!! Will I get any job after completing my masters...???

Jayant 

Read my previous posts.

Stumpy ...I am not getting exactly the job apportunies in New Zealand....and want to know about education in New Zealand..??? Is it really good or it's blacklisted..??

There is very little work in NZ for overseas people. Unemployment is high, companies prefer to hire local people as the visa process is costly.
Wages are low, taxes high as are rents and cost of living in general. For cost of living numbeo.com 
Some NZ people work in Australia now and fly home to family when they can as wages are higher in Australia.

sumit kumar pathak
rajasthan

Respected sir or madam,
                      this is sumit kumar pathak msc nursing (pediatric nursing). i have 3 year clinical experience in clinical area with different care. 
now i just want ask regarding nursing job and pr for newzeland. i have also discussed immigration agency but their is no satisfaction. so please tell me procedure how to go as a nursing job and pr basis step by step.
thanking you in advance.
                                                                                                       your faithfully

sumitpathak

I suggest you check the NZ Government Immigration website to see if you qualify for a visa.
The visa system is worked on points, so the more qualifications you have the more points you get towards a visa.
As a nurse you may well qualify already so check out the website.