Children's bank accounts

My partner and I have a savings account with APS, the other day I took my kids to open a savings account for them as they have birthday money etc laying around in money boxes and my daughter had been frittering it away.
APS wouldn't open a savings account for my kids because they aren't Maltese by birth, I did I take in there UK birth certificates and E-res cards but no joy.
Does anyone know of a children's saving account for all children rather than just Maltese children?

what was there explaination or reasoning for that?

HSBC do a Karus account aimed at childrens savings

https://www.hsbc.com.mt/1/2/mt/en/perso … s-accounts

no mention of solely being for maltese nationals.....!

No idea. I don't ask tbh. If I get chance later I might pop in and ask.

Yes, HSBC did, you got a free money box. They never mentioned to me about needing to be Maltese but this is a couple of years ago, before the Maltese have clicked to all this.

Would I have to open an account with HSBC to be able to open a children's account?

Sorry Sparkie I don't know. I do remember why I didn't do it in the end. It was because they wanted a monthly payment to go in, it didn't have to be much but I was not in the situation to do that at the time.

sorry I dont know but a simple quick phone call will answer that

An advert for APS Little Stars account has just come up on my facebook. Their wording is  " children born and reside in Malta." That doesn't mean to say Maltese by birth, I mean, they might 'mean' that but my kids were born here and reside here but are not Maltese...I wonder?!

When the lady in APS saw my kids birth certificates and recognised them as UK ones she said something along the lines of 'oh they aren't Maltese, sorry the account is available for Maltese born children'

I popped in to HSBC today and asked about children's savings accounts. I would have to get a bank reference from UK to open a bank account for my kids as the accounts are in the parents name with children's name on it too.

Not sure at the moment I can be bothered with it.

Sparkie wrote:

When the lady in APS saw my kids birth certificates and recognised them as UK ones she said something along the lines of 'oh they aren't Maltese, sorry the account is available for Maltese born children'

I popped in to HSBC today and asked about children's savings accounts. I would have to get a bank reference from UK to open a bank account for my kids as the accounts are in the parents name with children's name on it too.

Not sure at the moment I can be bothered with it.

Hmm, that is a lot of bother when you already have an account somewhere else.

I might, just out of interest, go into APS with my kids birth certificates, which are Maltese ones and see what they say??!!!

very interesting

might be just as easy to set a further two savings accounts in your own names......