Bank Accounts dont get any easier with an ID!

Just because someone has an ID Card, it doesn't mean that the banks are becoming more helpful. So if you're waiting for an ID Card to apply for an account. I have got bad news for you.

Here is a quick snapshot as of my inquiries from yesterday and today.

HSBC

Reference from previous bank
Six Month Statement
Takes 3 - 4 weeks

BOV
Reference from previous bank
Takes 1- 2 weeks after they receive a letter from previous bank

Banif
Current Account can be opened within 20 minutes with a £150 deposit.

Mediterranean Bank

Can be opened online
Need a utility bill in the account holders name

APS Bank

As I am writing this - I have been on hold for 13 minutes with an incompetent man named Samuel.

Still on hold

18 minutes......

22 minutes

00:24:33 sec..... Call dropped.

Well I guess I will try them again tomorrow.

If you want to bank with BOV or HSBC. Go there and apply with or without the ID Card because the procedures are the same regardless of someone's status.

Thanks

Meddie

Great info as always Meddie!

But I reckon that the Mediterranean Bank at least for me, it's not an option. I have just called them to inquire in regards to opening a bank account and they only deal with savings and investments accounts. I wanted to open a current acc so I could have a debit Visa card but on those type of accounts, they do not provide debit/credit cards...that's a shame!

i went to BOV 3 days ago. the lady just took my banks details, gave me her email and told me to email her in one week. she didnt even bother getting my personal details!!!! and she didnt even ask for my bank account proper adress.
dont see it happening any time soon

It's funny, I use to have a MidMed (I think that's what it was called.) I opened it up when we use to come on holiday here, no hassle in getting it.
The MidMed changed to HSBC, it didn't automatically get changed, as we hadn't used it for a while.
When we moved here, HSBC needed references but not BOV, so we got a BOV (this was in 2004.)
When my husband and I seperated, I wanted my own account but then (2007) BOV wanted a reference!
So, I went to HSBC, who didn't want a reference!!!! LOL, I give up!
Anyway, I have HSBC and now Banif (student account,) which I opened with an expired (ish) ID card!

Make sense of that!

To be honest, I have opened my BOV account within 3 weeks time, no hassle whatsoever. The only problem with BOV is that they only gave me a CashLink card and now to get a Debit Visa card, they ask me for a min of 1000€ deposit, which does not make any sense. It would make sense if I was asking for a Visa Credit Card.
Therefore, I am trying to open a new bank account so I can also get a Visa Debit Card so I can use it abroad and do purchases over the internet, which I cannot do with the BOV CashLink Card.

sounds to me like the foreigner is being used as cash cows to help the banks balances.

@Toni shame but they seem to be hassle free.

@Lobo81 - I am afraid you might be a sitting duck. Talk to Toni he applied for a BOV acc and he has a contact person!

@coxf0001 is Banif giving you any problems? There was a post here with some horror stories but I think they are worth a try.

Ta

Meddie

mantonas wrote:

Therefore, I am trying to open a new bank account so I can also get a Visa Debit Card so I can use it abroad and do purchases over the internet, which I cannot do with the BOV CashLink Card.

If you have trouble, then you can buy Visa or maybe it's a  Mastercard off BOV. You can buy them from 50 euro to 500 euro. They can be used abroad, in shops and over internet but I don't think you can withdraw on them...Just an option to keep in mind.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

sounds to me like the foreigner is being used as cash cows to help the banks balances.

Absolutely and there explanations are horrendous!

SMeddie wrote:

@coxf0001 is Banif giving you any problems? There was a post here with some horror stories but I think they are worth a try.

Ta

Meddie

Hi,

No, they gave me no trouble at all, very smooth and straight forward but then I only use it for my university stipend to go in. I don't use cheques or direct debits with them.

My step dad had a Banif for a couple of years and he liked them.

Caroline

Ps I get a visa debit card with them too!

SMeddie wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

please feel free to give us some of the explainations

toonarmy9752 wrote:
SMeddie wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

please feel free to give us some of the explainations

Apparently you mighty default on the Visa debit hence the £1000 security, same goes with obtaining a credit card or an overdraft.

What Toni and I are perplexed about is - Do these bank tellers know the meaning of a debit card? Or do they think that once your card has a ''Visa logo'' then you're going to spend money out of magic mushrooms!

....... I have no more words!

coxf0001 wrote:
SMeddie wrote:

Ta

Meddie

Hi,

No, they gave me no trouble at all, very smooth and straight forward but then I only use it for my university stipend to go in. I don't use cheques or direct debits with them.

My step dad had a Banif for a couple of years and he liked them.

Caroline

Ps I get a visa debit card with them too!

Thanks ...... I applied with them and I loved there services.

Ta

cash cows on the horizon........

HSBC sucks major. I have a personal account and I wanted to open one for my business situated in Malta and they told me that they are stepping aside from this business for now.

BoV I professionally speaking only had good experience.

Will try to open an account for my wife,... lets have a look how that will go!

coxf0001 wrote:

If you have trouble, then you can buy Visa or maybe it's a  Mastercard off BOV. You can buy them from 50 euro to 500 euro. They can be used abroad, in shops and over internet but I don't think you can withdraw on them...Just an option to keep in mind.

I am aware of that Caroline. But to be honest, why should I have to get a Visa top-up cards when on every normal bank you get a visa debit card when you open a current acc. And as Meddie and you have confirmed, Banif does it. Actually, I wanted to open a Banif acc with Meddie but got pist off with one of the Banif assistant when she told me a could not open an acc with my Portuguese ID card as I do not have a passport. After I ask them to contact their head office to confirm I could (coz I knew it for sure) I just lost my interest due to some silly unprofessional person. I might go back there again when I get my ID card, I just can't be bother to have to ask references from my Irish bank once again.

Ohh...and btw, one think that surprised me the most was when I asked if I could request references from BOV. They said that Maltese banks do not provide references, which is a laugh. They ask references from other banks but they do not provide them LOL :D

All the banks have absolutely the same mandatory pack of documents that they should obtain from the client (in original or certified copy):

1. ID/passport (doesn't matter local of foreign)
2. Proof of residence address (ID or bank statement or utility bill)
3. Reference from the previous bank (or other similar document, you can discuss it with the bank when open the account first time)
4. Police conduct certificate (but many banks ignore this for some reasons)

Sometimes they asked more, depending on the account you want:
1. Transaction history from the previous bank
2. Deposit
3. Regular income (wage, salary, pension) to the new account

If any bank does not ask you any of these docs it's mean that they will ask it later in any way. Or (possibly) they just break the rules :)

Well.

As an HSBC customer in the uk I was told that to open a bank account at HSBC in Malta would be as easy as taking in my passport and proof of accommodation (I actually went in branch and they called HSbc international to confirm this)

Ha ha ha (deranged laughter) when coming to do this I duly took my stuff in along with birth cert and driving licence and anything else and sat down with one of the most zero charismatic people I have ever met.

"I'd like to open a current account please, I have all my stuff and more that you require"

" where's your proof of income from work"

"I don't work I'm self sufficient until I open my company but that doesn't matter I checked with HSBC international I'm kind of allowed an account"

"Not without proof of work in this branch sir * while typing away at his screen * I was waiting for " computer says no" seriously.

Could you go and ask the manager as in all literature and according to international HSBC rules I can have an account" he toddled off rather grumpily ( had he have had hair he would have flicked it as he turned)

On reentering the cubicle he confirmed that I could not have an account in this branch as " we decided 2 weeks ago that you can't have an account unless you show income here in this branch. Why don't you try another branch"

What ? I can't open an account here but can in another branch? Where in your literature and documentation state that I can only have an account if I show proof of income in this branch?

" it doesn't we just made it up"

" What?"

" it's only in this branch we decided like I said 2 weeks ago as we get lots of lybians in the area"

"I'm not Lybian"

"Doesn't matter"

" so let me get this straight although it says in all literature that I as an eu uk HSBC account holder can open an account here with my passport and proof of accommodation, confirmed by HSBC international on the telephone, your little branch ( which is my nearest branch not a branch 6 miles away which by the way would open an account for me, ) says that I can't because you aren't terribly keen on the amount of lybians in the area"!?!?!?!

"Yes that's right sir"

I was frothing at the mouth now and had developed an irritating tic in my left eye. So scooping up my paperwork and by now behaving like John Cleese at his car branching worst I said...

"You haven't heard the last of me " pointing a curled finger at my tormentor.

Returning to my apartment I called HSBC international who called HSBC headquarters in Valetta and I spoke to a nice chap culminating in " Jay I will message the branch and they will call you tomorrow I'm sure you will find the process a little easier now"

8 days later no call. I went back to the branch in question.

"I'd like to speak to the manager please I've been waiting for a phone call to enable me to come in and open an account here " I explained very nicely to a rather funny and pretty manager my experience. She listened intently then said " sorry but you still can't open an account here without proof of income."

What so I can go out of here to a seafront eatery and wash dishes for €3.50 an hour show you my proof of this and I can then have an account?

" it's not that easy there are more criteria than that"

" what? "

" you say you don't want to work just now?"

" I can't I'm setting up a business because I have the funds to do it"

" how much would you deposit if we opened you an account?"

Aha a chink in her lizard like armour! " how much do you want a grand 5 thousand ? 20 thousand and a kidney!"

She brought a colleague over, they talked in Malti for half an hour. I was by now bored.

"Look I spoke to a colleague of yours in Valetta who codedly admitted I could have an account here but you never called me back when you received their communication"

We haven't had any communication who did you speak to in head office? She almost squeaked and her demeanour changing immediately?

I ummed and aaaahd for a second she didn't like this " was it George or victor" she demanded.

I couldn't remember so plumped for Victor, her eyes nearly popped out. Phone call to Victor in maltese, 10 minutes listening then phone down.

" Sarah will fill out your application with you and if your references from the uk are good you should receive your debit card and details next week."

That was last week so if accepted should be any day now, I'll let you know, just one little tip if I had gone into my branch in the uk they would have opened the account for me by proxy and no fuss ( as I was told throughout this weird experience by everyone?!?)

So if you are planning on coming over and are with HSBC then I'd strongly suggest you do this.

Anyway will let you know how I get on and best of luck to everyone.

sorry but that is disgusting - i know its not ideal but just out of curiosity and devilment I would try the one is St Pauls Bay on mosta road on the way to Xemxija - and see if they treat you differently

Toon I know , totally against the international policies followed by every other branch in their huge company this one makes its own rules!

Extremely small minded.

I live in Qawra so needed the local branch ( the mosta road one is quite a treck on foot but thanks I'd totally forgotten about that one)

It might be worth seeing what they say I could take my stuff in there and see but I'm hoping my account comes through in the next couple of days.

Extraordinary, I felt very small and helpless when I should have been taking part in something very simple and easy, beurocracy gone mad!

if they accept you you can still use the bugibba branch though we used to do that when we opened ours at st pauls - and we now live in mellieha its not a problem honestly.

correction - it shouldnt be a problem- we simply asked for a transfer after we got the account sorted out. mind that was 5 years ago - maybe they didnt have as many libyans then!!!!!!!! OMG

Speachless but not supprised.

"Extraordinary, I felt very small and helpless when I should have been taking part in something very simple and easy, beurocracy gone mad!"

It's that brick wall you hit and you are just left there, standing in disbelief. I understand totally and have been there a few times!

toonarmy9752 wrote:

correction - it shouldnt be a problem- we simply asked for a transfer after we got the account sorted out. mind that was 5 years ago - maybe they didnt have as many libyans then!!!!!!!! OMG

I was cashing a cheque at Coppini's a few weeks back and they had to phone head office to check my ID card. When I asked why, they said the same thing...That they had problems with Libyans and blacks in this area (Buggiba.)

Wow, I must be a new breed of blonde hair, fair skin, black?!!

coxf0001 wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

I was cashing a cheque at Coppini's a few weeks back and they had to phone head office to check my ID card. When I asked why, they said the same thing...That they had problems with Libyans and blacks in this area (Buggiba.)

Wow, I must be a new breed of blonde hair, fair skin, black?!!

wow thats unbelievable - so not only are they colour blind but discriminatory too - and assume that all foreigners (not just libyans and blacks) are the same - what is this place coming to.?

Ok matey thanks for that ill wait and see if it turns up if not I'm going in to the Mosta road branch (not for a couple of days I suspect wrapped up shivering with a chest infection and antibiotics I'm allergic to) :(

You think this is bad I don't even have a post code because this is a new appartment and it doesn't exist according to Malta post or anyone else) this displeased the bank lady also! So I can't order anything from the UK or go on courses here to learn Maltese or anything else that needs a postcode for an online form.

I'm laughing here because when I read about such things in these very forums i thought oh it's just one or 2 people having a gripe and that it couldn't be worse than sleepy west Dorset and its "tomorrow" attitude how wrong I seem to have been!

Cox I'm very tanned but quite obviously not lybian! And all of my documentation was valid I even took my uk account statement !

Just to add that if you ask HSBC in UK to open an account in Malta in advance you will be charged £100. I opted for that, all went as it should. When we got here, we upgraded our account (free travel insurance etc) and then closed our UK HSBC account.)
I use an ATM in the village square and internet banking - all is OK thus far.

JayJay1970 - loved the way you wrote your account, shame the experience was so negative as the writing was so enjoyable to read.

I would have paid! Ha ha

Thanks RedMik I understand how it works and am very patient and good humoured really and nothing could stop me enjoying these beautiful islands, but to someone whom doesn't have the strength to fight (gently) for their rights I can see just what a nightmare they could have at times!

:)

this may help explain the position

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/sh … dex_en.htm

toonarmy9752 wrote:

this may help explain the position

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/sh … dex_en.htm

OMG! I must had been lucky then. I have opened accounts previously in places like UK, Ireland, Spain, Gibraltar and now Malta, and I never had any issues whatsoever, apart from the HSBC here in Malta. But to be honest, judging by previous comments in regards to other people who also tried to open an account on this same bank, I am not surprised anymore.

mantonas wrote:

To be honest, I have opened my BOV account within 3 weeks time, no hassle whatsoever. The only problem with BOV is that they only gave me a CashLink card and now to get a Debit Visa card, they ask me for a min of 1000€ deposit, which does not make any sense. It would make sense if I was asking for a Visa Credit Card.

Just an update in regards to my previous post. I have been to the BOV branch in Mellieha where I have opened my account and I managed to apply for a Visa Debit card without the need of a (silly) deposit. I have explained that the deposit they were asking did not make much sense as both mine and my wife's salary is going to that account and I was not asking for any  credit, just wanted to use the money I have on that account. So, as he did not have any more excuses or arguments, he processed my application and told me that in a week I should get my Visa Debit card at home. Case CLOSED! :D

Thx for the update Toni!.....

I was trying to open a bank account with HSBC for 4 months now. They said that they have send 2 letters to my home bank with request for reference. No progress so far.
Today I went to BOV St Venera branch. With my original bank reference from my home bank (HSBC did not want to accept it), work contract and internet bill and e-residence correspondence (with my local address) they have opened the bank account for me in 30 min. And I will get Quickcash card by the end of the week.
So my advice - take as much documents as possible and try different banks / branches.

well done Oscar PL - where theres a will theres a way

Similar experience for me with BOV and HSBC. HSBC I gave up on when they failed to get back to me repeatedly, but the biggest problem I had was that I couldn't get the reference letter out of Santander in the UK, and even when I did, it didn't have some information that BOV requested.

Eventually, after several meetings with BOV (Tower Road branch, Sliema), they said that if I got a form signed by my boss and brought a copy of my employment contract in with passport etc., they'd open an account - and a week later I had a Visa Cashlink card. That card, btw, has worked pretty well on the internet so far, but I haven't stretched it much.

However: I do have an appointment set up with Banif bank. They said that these are the requirements for opening an account:

1 ) Foreign ID Card / Passport
2 ) Maltese ID Card / Tax Registration Number
3 ) Є150 Initial deposit to start off the account

They also said I'd be required to open a savings account and put a minimum of Є50 per month in there, although I could transfer that to a current account at any time.

As you can see: you don't need a Maltese ID card OR a reference letter - just a tax reference number! I'm not sure if this makes them dodgy, or sensible. I'd like to go with sensible, because honestly this reference letter business is a pain in the arse.

pgl wrote:

However: I do have an appointment set up with Banif bank. They said that these are the requirements for opening an account:

They also said I'd be required to open a savings account and put a minimum of Є50 per month in there, although I could transfer that to a current account at any time.

As you can see: you don't need a Maltese ID card OR a reference letter - just a tax reference number! I'm not sure if this makes them dodgy, or sensible. I'd like to go with sensible, because honestly this reference letter business is a pain in the arse.

In Banif they told me:
With Passport and Tax Registration Number (on some official certification to be obtained in Valletta IRD office) I can deposit 150 EUR which I cannot withdraw for 1 year and put 50 EUR monthly which cannot be withdrawn during 1st year. Only then I can get the atm card. Then I said goodbye to Banif.

Fortunately enough BOV was fast and efficient. They told me that I can get VISA Cashlink only when I get my Maltese ID, so for now on only normal Cashlink (which could be used only in Malta). also credit card only after obtaining Maltese ID, some months with a bank and safety deposit.

I think that lack of competition make the banks here so picky. On more competitive markets they are fighting for clients while here they seem to do grace by letting me trust them with my own money and generate them revenue.

just banks doing what they do best with other peoples money - cash cows is what we are seen to be here.

pgl wrote:

Similar experience for me with BOV and HSBC. HSBC I gave up on when they failed to get back to me repeatedly, but the biggest problem I had was that I couldn't get the reference letter out of Santander in the UK, and even when I did, it didn't have some information that BOV requested.

Eventually, after several meetings with BOV (Tower Road branch, Sliema), they said that if I got a form signed by my boss and brought a copy of my employment contract in with passport etc., they'd open an account - and a week later I had a Visa Cashlink card. That card, btw, has worked pretty well on the internet so far, but I haven't stretched it much.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The 'requirement' for a:

1)Є150 Initial deposit to start off the account.

and

2)The 'minimum of Є50 per month to be deposited in a savings account.

[no more petitions, this is just enough]