Would love to move to Lisbon, Were to start ?

Hi,
Me and my wife would love to move to Lisbon, but not so sure where to start this process.

We currently live In Canada, We are Portuguese. I speak perfect Portuguese but my spelling is not so great and I do have my Portuguese passport.

My wife, understands some Portuguese, but does not speak.
We speak french and English.

I have experience in sales, computers, Internet marketing.
My wife as allot of experience in the aviation. She is a flight attendant and now is a manger responsible for training flight attendant, safety and Canadian transport regulations.

Not sure what to say more, fell free to ask if I left anything out.

My goal is to get some sort of direction, should I look for job, first, then apartment. What kind of paper do I need.......

Also I would love to keep in contact with anybody that is wiling to make new friends.

Hi dorian7813,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

You should get in touch with the nearest Portuguese Embassy and consulates and try to get information on visa forms, and even more travel information can be obtained here.

I suggest you post your resume in the Sales jobs in Lisbon as it might help :)

Then maybe post another ad in the Housing in Lisbon please :)

Best of luck with everything !

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi, if you already have Portuguese passports, then you don't need a visa.  Your big issue is finding jobs, assuming that you need salaries to support yourself here.  I would do that before looking for a place to live.

As I'm sure you know, the country is in deep financial crisis, and finding a job will not be easy.  Perhaps you can start with Canadian companies who have a presence in Lisbon? 

Before you move you will have some consular paperwork if you're going to ship all your household contents.  And once here, you'll have to deal with the usual bureaucracy of getting a fiscal number, social security, national health, drivers license, etc. 

Best of luck to you!

Hi,
i think that you need to find job first, and then an apartment.
If you have experience in sales the possibility to find a job in Portugal increases.
About your wife, a job in aviation right now would be more difficult, but it's not impossible.
I think that you have a great advantage in speaking french, because there are some jobs requiring French.

I would give some websites where you can check the job opportunities:

carrerjet.pt

net-empregos.com

For your wife you can check the following airlines:

TAP
SATA
NETJETS
HI FLY
EUROATLANTIC

Best of luck

Don't do it!

My husband is Portuguese.  We moved there nearly 5 years ago and it has taken until now to get out due to becoming the victims of severe breaches of our human rights. No one would assist no matter what authorities were contacted.  That goes from the President of the Republic to all the Ministers of the various parties to the court systems.  We have been fighting for 4 years for Justice but there is no justice in Portugal (the legal representative appointed to us is a member of the party we are taking action against, who did not declare the conflict of interest and on advising the legal society and requesting a replacement they have still not adhered to my request).  That is their Justice System.  The discrimination we suffered as a result of my husband not being able to read or write Portuguese even though he was Portuguese was unbelievable.  He is now ashamed and embarrassed to be Portuguese after the horrendous treatment we have continuously received.  Don't put yourself or you wife through the trauma of becoming a resident of Portugal, your health and your wifes is too important.  If you are prepared to work for nothing, don't mind if people befriend you and then steal everything from you, don't mind waiting months for services, don't mind the constant lack of information or incorrect information constantly given then you'll cope fine.  You have anywhere else in the European Union you can move to if you are Portuguese where you would actually have life.  Better still Canada has so much more to offer.
I am in the middle of my biography concerning my time in Portugal and it is titled "A Home Called Hell" (inside the real Portugal).   Portugal is in severe crisis and a huge risk.  There are no opportunities in Portugal except for those who wish to exploit others.
Your mental well-being is worth much more.
(All comments and claims in this response are factual and can be supported with evidence).

Hi,

I never lived in Portugual but I think you should at least take some lessons in order to be able to speak and write in a correct manner, the same should be done for your wife. I live in england and there is a strong protuguese community here and they do not seem to plan to go back home due to the financial state of Portugual. Wish you the best
Loetitia

Why Lisbon?  Moved to Portugal over 3 years ago, first to a small village near Obidos now have relocated to Lagos.  I am American, my partner is British but has lived in America for over 25 years. I would explore outside of Lisbon, Portugal is not all about Lisbon. 

Tips:

First rent, don't buy.

Have lots of money, you can make money here but you have to "invent" a need and supply it.  One expat I know just started a dog boarding in his home and loves it, doing quite well.  He loves to ramble about in the forests and beaches, now he has furry friends tagging along....for euros.  You can't take euros from Portuguese mouths, it's not right, it's their country and we are long term guests.

You must love sardinhas.

I didn't invest in a car they look like problems.  Taxes, inspections, fuel.  The public transportation is excellent wherever you are.  Just be aware of days greves are planned. You can drive your car, but there are registration fees and my British friends are always fearful of being fined or something.

Portuguese classes for estrangeros are given at public schools during the school year 2 to 3 times a week, free.  Classes usually begin in September and last until May or June.  They are difficult but are very good.  My partner is speaking very well, I am an idiot.  It takes work to find out which school in your area has the classes, you sign up and keep calling until you find out when they start.  Need passport and fiscal number and lease to prove you are living in the district.

Electronics are very expensive here, bring any flash drives and gadgets like that.  I don't know about TV's and that, are they the same in the UK as in Portugal?  The States has a different system, they don't work here.

Rent a storage or stash your things in a friend or family member's attic.  Don't ship it for a year or two until you are certain you have done the right thing.  Saves costs. 

Your British Passport should give you access to medical care under the EU.  But most Brits I know go back to England for serious medical conditions.  I don't know why. 

Is it perfect?  Nao.  But, I haven't seen news of little children killing schoolteachers here.  I can walk down the street unmolested and eat fresh vegetables that don't taste like cardboard every day.  And I swim where the Age of Discovery was launched. I'd move again in a second.

Hello,
        Portugal is one of the top three retiree countries today for it's safety and quality of life, at least for now. People have given you some good advice but we have limited information on your status. If you have a little money to spend I would rent first, settle in, know the ropes and then look for employment in an area that you really want to live in.
Lisbon has some of the most expensive real estate in the country so I would look for somewhere on the outskirts, even if you end up working in Lisbon, the HI way system is excellent as is the public transportation system.
If you can work from home I would definitely live out of Lisbon unless you like it busy.
There are hundreds of rentals  both furnished and unfurnished within 45 minutes on the coast in a little fishing village called Ericeira. The food is world class and most people speak English.
Algarve is the busy tourist area in the south with hundreds of employment opportunities but a 3 hour drive to Lisbon.
It's defiantly not the United States or Canada so get used to waiting in line and be patient, very patient.
The favorite description of how things get done in Portugal is "mais ou menos"  More or less or "complicado".
Good luck.

i am a decorater and a painter and i want to work in porto : any help please ?