Caring for a house while vacant and For Sale

For anyone wanting, or needing to leave Bulgaria it must be a huge problem deciding what to do about your home when leaving it behind for sale. First, any property left empty starts to deteriorate immediately; plants die, the pool turns green, small maintenance issues become huge problems. Empty houses become a target for break-in and the insurance company may be unhappy about a long term vacancy.

Internationally, house-sitting websites are doing a roaring trade. House-sitters work on standard contracts of several months duration, they pay no bills and live rent free. Nice work if you can get it!

As an alternative wouldn't it make sense to come to an agreement which could be terminated at short notice in the event of a sale and enjoy some rental income? Renting at a rate which may be a little lower than is usual to a couple who agree to maintain the property; water the flowers, clean the pool, deal with these small maintenance issues and pay the day to day running costs must be better than sustaining an ongoing financial burden. A house which is lived-in is also more likely to sell. Don't rely on your estate agent to find tenants or conclude an agreement, they are generally only interested in their commission from a sale. We've even experienced agents who respond to potential tenants with the fiction that their clients have no interest in rentals but have forgotten to consult the client before passing on their fictitious message.

There  are people around who have a need for a longer term but flexible arrangement My wife being an example as we are looking for our own property in Bulgaria. People like us may even end up buying your property after moving in and discovering its benefits. They re usually older and more settled people and often have plenty experience with their own properties. Take us as an example; we and ran a small hotel which made us very self-sufficient. We are used to doing our own cleaning and maintenance, meeting and greeting people and keeping a property in tip-top condition. We're not at all sure where we want to live so would have no problem moving on in the event of a sale.

If you do have a house for sale and it is costing you a small fortune to maintain, if you worry whether it is being shown to best advantage, need someone to care for it in your absence who will pay you for the privilege tell people by posting a message on this board or just send us a pm.

A BULGARIAN NIGHTMARE - VACANT AND FOR SALE

Hello Worldlywanderer.

In an ideal world this would be a worthwhile approach to what I personally know is an absolute 'Bulgarian Nightmare'. I have a property in a village just outside Burgas which I purchased about 4 years ago. Unfortunately due to medical needs it was necessary to pack up and return to Ireland at the beginning of June this year. In spite of the fact that I have someone checking out the property every couple of days, it has been broken into twice in the last four months with considerable loss.

The property is not in a remote area and yes, we had friendly neighbors with whom we were on good terms but none of this seems to have made much difference. Once the property is empty it is a target for theft - almost as if it was a right to take what someone else has left behind!

Trying to sell rural property in Bulgaria at the moment is something of a joke and few Bulgarians will buy or rent in the villages due to work and transportation issues. Insofar as the expat market, there are still some investors but they are predominantly Russian and are only interested in furnished apartments in coastal locations.  All this I fully understand. What distresses me is that I am now unable to protect my rapidly devaluing property.Even advertising on the web is an invitation for criminal elements.

I regret ever moving to Bulgaria. I regret that I did not do sufficient research and 'due diligence' before buying in Bulgaria. The exercise has cost me dearly.

And to return to the topic. Had I known what I know now I would most certainly have rented a property for the last four years and saved myself much heartache and financial loss.

At the end of the day I only have myself to blame and a hard lesson has been learned. So yes Worldlywanderer, you are quite correct - the rental option should be considered by expats, at least until they are absolutely sure they are going to stay.

I found this topic of great interest had thought of offering this myself we are English living in Hungary and desperate to find the right place in Bulgaria. something along these lines in the north of the country would be perfect for us to one sample Bulgarian life and two help some one with an empty house that needs it living in ....
Worldly wanderer put it so beautifully .....we are clean tidy willing to do any jobs and have no pets or children.....interested drop me a message
Lesley and Yan

Hi Lesley&Yan
Sent you a PM

replied and mailed you hope you got it ty

No e-mail received :(
Could you try again?

re sent i read addy wrong !! sorry

change of plan we are still looking for some where to "caretake"from end Nov for approx 4-6 months .....Any one selling an empty ouse that needs living in ??