Introduce yourself HERE!

Jose,
Welcome to the forum.

Bob K

I am Bernie, a Californian and US citizen.  I met a wonderful, educated, Dominican woman online last Spring.  I have traveled back and forth several times since then.  We were married in August and are still awaiting a spousal visa so that she can reside in the states.  We also have the option of having me retiring from my position and relocating to the DR early next year.  I will be in the DR again over the holidays.  We currently rent an apartment together in Santiago, but will be capable of living, and buying a home, most anywhere.  My wife has a large extended family and, even though she says she would like to live in the states, I think she will miss family and the culture in the DR.  Any tips on nice places to live, health insurance (I now qualify for Medicare in the US), the general cost of living and anything else would be helpful.  Nice to be here!

First off welcome to the forum. You will find some friendly and helpful folks here so don't be shy about posting questions. Some of us have been living here for years.
As to living expenses a lot will depend on where  you want to live and the kind of lifestyle you want.  If it is just the two of you that you will be supporting then figure on $2000 -$4000 a month, again depending on life style and where you want to live. If you give us some specifics such as location, villa vs Condo, rent or own, gated or not, car and transportation, dining out vs cooking in most of the time, phone and internet etc etc etc.

As to health insurance you will not qualify for any insurance here because of age. I am assuming you are over 65.  Your medicare will not cover you here but you can probably be reimbursed somewhat for expense by medicare.

Hope some of this is helpful, and again welcome.

Bob K

I second that welcome Bernie!!!  First  insurance:  not sure why Bob assumed you are over  65!  Bob - how did you come to that.....?? LOL

I work with an insurance group with one of the 2 big companies, Humano, plans offered are approximately US 35 or US 47 depending what you want. the other biggie is Universal.  If you want more info just message me.

In terms of cost of living, it is very very dependent on where you live and how you live.  I am in Santo Domingo and live very comfortably on about  US 800, I am single.  Others like to live in a gated community,  villa style or apartment style.  Living in tourism areas will be more expensive. 

If you plan to stay in Santiago you have many many affordable options. Some of the keys when looking at a place or a lifestyle:  reliability of electricity, water reliability,  internet and cable tv options,  transportation ease.....  If you are planning on a family then it gets more complicated by schools etc.....

Much of this is covered in other threads,  take a look around, read all you can. Then open a new thread and ask us your questions, we are here to help!

I assumed he was over 65 as to qualify for medicare in the US you need to be over 65.

As to living depends on where and what. We are in a gated community and cost total is around $3000 a month.

BObK

that would make sense Bob!!!!  Not being an American, I would not know this.....LOL

Damn Canadians :)

Bob K

HAHAHAHA we are a pain!!!

A big 'Buenos dias' to everyone. 

My wife and I have just purchased our little villa in La Mulata, Sosua after making the big decision to semi-retire out of Canada.  (currently -35C back home)     We first arrived in August 2013 to close out the purchase, and now are spending 2 months getting to know our neighbors and doing a few renovations :)

We are looking to meet up with other English-speaking folks for coffee, cold beer and/or good conversation.  We enjoy all types of music.  I spent many of my years in Canada working as a tradesman, and the last 10 years working in management.  We are in our early 50's.  Unfortunately, we need to head back to close out some business, but will be returning for our 'next' big adventure.

If anyone is looking to rent a cute little villa complete with swimming pool (2 bedroom/2 bathroom fully furnished) in Sosua, feel free to drop us a line.  I heard rent is around $450-$500/month up in the hills.  It is a 1/2 hour walk to central Sosua from our home :)

[email protected]       David Schmidt

Welcome David, to you and your wife!!! I am in Santo Domingo and if you need any help here, let me know.

Bob will chime in soon I am sure, he is on the north coast and knows lots about the area!  I spent 7 years in Puerto Plata but made the big move to the capital!

Enjoy your time and welcome again.

hi my name is inocencio im 25 years old born in the Dominican republic raised on the beautiful island of st.maarten and now living in the Netherlands for 7 years, i studied and graduated as an IT engineer and im also a web designer.
my moto: started  from the bottom and im on my way there..:)
any questions feel free to ask..lol

Jaieno
Welcome to the forum. You will find some nice folks here. Do not hesitate to ask any questions you have or to add your comments to any thread.
Again welcome

Bob K

Hello Everyone,
I am Lily. I recently went on a vacation to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata to be exact and I honestly fell in love with the city, the people, food, & all that was at my reach. I stayed at Lifestyle resort but I spent half of my trip visiting  some good and not so good neighborhoods and the local markets. I loved it and now I am considering the move but I am not so sure on where to start. I am originally from Africa so it was refreshing for me to see that some of their cultures and traditional norms were very similar to ours. Yes, I ditched all the comfort and security of my resort, hired a personal motoconcho driver so I can experience the "real Dominican lifestyle". I went by the boulevard, the city center, the justice/judicial courts, and even went clubbing at Extravanganza till 5am in the morning, & much more! The personnel at the resort did advice me not to step out because I was a tourist with little knowledge about the DR & that I'll be taking a risk all on my own. I am so glad I did because I would have felt cheated out of the wonderful experience had I succumb to the verbal fear! I am considering to move anytime after May, thus allowing my 3 girls to complete the current school year here in the US. I do plan to obtain our Resedencia so I'll be able to work legally with my degrees or start a small business. First and most important, I will like to find a nice 3 bdrms apartment or a single family home for me and my girls in a nice and safe neighborhood. Any suggestion on where to look? Thanks in advance guys :-)

Welcome to the forum Lily.  Wow a big step for you. We "retired" here to the north coast over 7 years ago. We live between Sosua and Cabarete.  For a bit of a mini escape we have stayed at lifestyles many times for long weekends. You were a bit brave using a moto for your transportation in getting about as this is  the most dangerous mode of transport here.  I am glad that you did not heed the advice of the hotel not to leave the complex. They use the fear tactic to make those that want to explore to purchase (many way overpriced) excursions.

HOWEVER before you make the move here I would suggest that you come and spend a month or two to see if the country really fits your needs and wants. Coming on a week or two vacation does not at all prepare one to move here.
Living here is way different.  Finding work is very difficult. Starting your own business is even harder.  Wages are very low and you will have a hard time making a living for  you and your three girls. 

What about education???? Public education is a joke and private schools are $$$.  Tansportation??? Cars are very expensive to buy driving here sometimes can be classified as "nuts".

Living expenses??? Nice 3 bedroom home or condo in a secure area will run you north of $1000 a month plus electric (which is very expensive).  Food costs??? If you want the foods your are used to then plan on spending lots of money. More than at home. And on and on and on.....

Medical needs??? Finding good medical care here can be difficult sometimes.  Your home insurance is basically useless here and you will need to purchase local insurance. Better hospitals will be found in Santiago and Santo Domingo.  We actually use doctors in Santiago for our medical care, have local insurance and still maintain an international policy that gives me coverage world wide (including the US)

Language?? Are you fluent in Spanish??? If not it you may find it difficult to do what you want, especially work or starting a business.

I don't want to be all negative.  If you come and spend some time first, find that this is the place for you, then living here can be a great experience.  But please explore some before you make the leap.

Please fell free to ask any questions.  There are some good folks here on the forum with some good information for you.
So ask away.

Again welcome.

Bob K

woow Bob, thank you very much for the information. honestly, I am not planning to move and live in DR like I am currently in the U.S. I was hoping to find a nice 2-3 bedrooms to start off with around 600$. another reason for my move is to save on the high rent I currently pay in the State. I do have 2 AA & a BA. I am completing my Masters in Teaching online at a university here. While I was in DR I was still able to be on vacation and still log online to complete my assignment. So I was hoping I can be able to do the same, as long as I have an Internet connection. I did like it over there and do plan to visit again between February and March for an extended stay. I have made some local connections there and I have stayed in touch to establish relationships which I believe will help me a bite more through the transition process when I do move. I don't plan to work in within the first 6-9 months, hence using that time to get me and my girls familiarize with culture and surroundings. Yes, I used the motoconcho-LOL, my hair was flying in the wind as and I loved it. I do plan to hire a tutor or someone who is an avid user of both the English and Spanish language or private school it will be, but I definitely want them to speak Spanish within a year of living over there. I do have full coverage insurance here but I will buy insurance there through Humano or Universal. tell me more guys, but I am from Africa and the ways of the Dominican people are not so different as my people back home. Yes, Manama means tomorrow, but tomorrow is subjective, it may mean next week too. LOL

Ok good luck. Let us know if you have any questions.

Bob K

any suggestion(s) on safe areas to live?

Where exactly are you looking at. There are some nice villas for rent in the Sosua area for $900-$1200 a month long term that are close to town and the international school.  Gated and secure and 24 hour electric.  Some condos as well but very few 3 bedrooms ones.

Cabarete mostly condos and three bedrooms are rare. Rent is higher at $1200- $2000 a month depending on location and again for secure places with 24 hour electric.

Puerto Plata not many secure areas with three bedrooms places that I am aware of.

Bob K

I went around PP-Malecon and was shown some houses in decent neighborhoods for around $300-$400 a month, unfurnished of cause. Most of the condos and villas were in the Tourist areas which I am trying to avoid to experience authentic DR culture. not so sure now Bob! I do have a friend there who told me she found a 3 bedroom for less than 400$ a month, a single house in a kind-of-middle class area. what do you think of me something like that? I am trying to save as much so I can do some business/investing in something over there once I know my way around!

I worry about safety, especially for your kids
I worry about not having electricity
I worry about  not having water
I worry about you neighbors
I worry you are moving too fast but that is just my opinion

Bob K

Bob, you are right. I don't want to leave the States only to find myself bitter about not having constant basic necessities. I need to be in an area with internet connection and light for sure because I am currently doing my Masters online. While I was staying at Lifestyle Resort, I did my discussions and submitted all my assignment online without any impediment. so you think I should stay around the tourist area and pay more for a furnished/unfurnished condo or flat with physical security? I was told to stay away from Sosua-cabarete areas also, not sure why but I believe safety was one of the concerns a friend warned me about. I will be there by the end of February to do some more homework, but that may still not be enough to know all I need to know. I welcome and appreciate your feedbacks, greatly. Thanks again :-)

You are welcome. We live in the Sosua/Cabarete area and have no problem with security.
Do I think you should be looking at places with 24/7 electricity, good security, safe neighborhood, internet and cable access, then the answer is YES.
Do spend some time looking in February before making the leap.  Do not stay at an AI resort or even a hotel if you can avoid it but rather rent a condo or villa for the time you are here and "live" in the area.

Bob K

yes, and that is the reason why I left the resort. I literally went out everyday to see how the locals and neighborhoods operate. Awesome. Bob thank you again, God bless. I'll follow through with your advice. you're giving me so much to think about. I'll definitely be there by end of February to do some more research before I pack up. I just love the relaxing atmosphere and family oriented aura I felt while I was there plus all the beautiful beaches. I love the respect and attitude of the people too. I know and understand there is still wide poverty in DR, but I grew up in Africa and I honestly felt I was home...... the similarities with the culture in general are similarly linked than the obvious differences, I can relate. My girls have been to Africa several times over and are excited each time I take them back home to visit. Planning to move to the DR I felt is much much more cost effective and very very closer to the US should we need to travel back and forth for any reason. I usually pay an average of $1500 per person to visit home coupled with a 22hrs long flight. I have been thinking to move back home for a while now until I visited the DR, it fit as an alternative... the only problem for me is not knowing the country as I do of my hometown back in Africa. I hope in due season this will be put to rest. I am checking out the school link now

You are a lucky man. My wife and I are still at the planning stage of moving to the DR, also to the Sosua area. We hope the we have just done our last Christmas food shop in the UK today
, and then "bring on the Yuca" for Christmas lunch.

Howard,
Welcome and may this be your last UK Christmas shop.
Happy Holidays!

Bob K

Can I  ask that we keep this thread for introductions and take extended conversations and answers to another thread.  That keeps this on track.

Thanks everyone!

Will do

Bob K

Hi Bob , I am a Canadian ,66 years old ,was in good shape until I slipped on ice and broke my left leg in 4 pieces ,decided to move in Dominican Republic next July-Aug . I am retired ,former trader /broker , have travelled the known world and want a quiet and fun place to spend the years that I have left on the planet,I am well off and want a nice appartment in my new life,free of ice and snow.Someone that I know told me about COSTAMBAR and I am willing to give it a try ,been to Dominican Repblic before,on business , liked it and hoping to find a place that would answer my dreams ,if you haveout  ideas about appartments around 600$ to 800$ per month ,plse let me know , I will be there end March to look about options on where to stay .I will probably move there late July ,Thank you for reading me and I hope to meet you guys someday , Best Regards , Gaetan Gauvin

tatantula  First off welcome to the forum. You will find some nice people here

As to your questions I would recommend that before taking the plunge you come and stay for a month or two and explore your various options. This place is not for everyone and make sure it is a "fit" before you take the leap.

For housing availability you will find some in your housing in your price range and the best way to do this is "boots on the ground". Also you might want to look at other areas on the north coast besides Costambar.

Please feel free to ask away.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!  I would recommend you read many of the  threads here!  then come back and ask your questions, please start your own thread OR ask questions in the appropriate threads we already have going.

Bob gives very good advice,  come for several months before making the big decision. Apartments in your budget are available in many many locations. You just need to find the right place for you!

Thank you so very much ,need input and to tell you frankly I am new at this but want a nice place to spend my last years as comfortable as possible ,Regards , Gaetan Gauvin

Thanks, we are happy to help!!!  Merry Christmas to you.

Hello everyone, I am Mark and I'm new to the site. I recently visited the DR (or RD) north coast and fell in love with the area. I've traveled for many years to Mexico and this was my first visit to the Caribbean. While I was there I traveled about freely and never felt threatened. I'm not so naive to think that crime isn't an issue in the DR...I was actually pick-pocketed by girl in a crowded bar while there (even though I had my money in a pocket with buttons) but I didn't feel unsafe traveling around otherwise. Now I don't want to give the impression that I was walking alone at night in areas where I would put my safety in jeopardy, but in general I was okay with my travels. I really liked the north coast, the food, the people, and the experiences in general. I am looking to the future and thinking about retirement and the DR is now definitely on the list of possibilities.

Since I am new to the site, I'm just wondering how best to navigate around it. I look forward to learning about the DR and meeting folks involved vicariously but perhaps also in person at some time in the future. Any suggestions for a newbie to the site are appreciated.

Mark welcome to the forum. You will find some great people here many of us with experience of living here for many years (7.5 years for me).  I am on the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete.

It sounds like you had a great time, maybe except for the "chica" with the loose fingers. It also sounds like you have your head on your shoulders when traveling around and understand how not to get into trouble.

Living here is not for everyone but it is a "fit" for many.  You should travel here frequently and before you make the final leap come and visit for a few months to "try on the non tourist lifestyle"

Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Have a great day and Happy Holidays

Bob K

I second that welcome!!! I've lived here over 10 years safely.  It sounds like you know how its done!  I suggest you read as many of the other threads as you can to get a real sense of what is offered here on the forums.

Yes come visit us often. I am in Santo Domingo but routinely travel the country.  Check out all the areas you can of this wonderful country. As Bob says,  it is not for everyone but for many of us it is truly Paradise!

Hi everybody!

My name is Jean , I'm french , I like the ocean and meeting persons!
I'm easy to live I allways look for the nice in everyone, and I love people.
I'm looking for a good job in Dominican Republic .
I've an engeener degree and I speack English and Spanish ( French is my mother tong)

Jean
Welcome to the forum. You will find some very nice folks here with lots of information on the Dominican Republic.  Please feel free to ask any questions you want about life here or anything else.

Is there anywhere in particular in the country that you are looking to settle?

Again welcome

Bob K

Welcome to the forums Jean!  Please read the  forums and ask your questions either in those threads or in a new thread!  We are here to help you in any way we can! 

This must be an exciting time for you!

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your answer
Can you tell me if there are big industries in dominican republic, and what are there names, please?
I don't know yet where i'd like to live in the country but I heard that Samana was great for surfing and diving?
Do you know if it's true?

Thanks again for your answers :)
Jean

Hi Jean.  Samana is big for diving but not surfing. Water sports are really big in Cabarete but not diving so much. The biggest industries are tourism and call centers here in the country.  Tourism is big in Samana but there are no call centers there that I am aware of.

For more help  please open a new thread asking these questions and more, that way this thread stays a welcome thread.  Thanks Jean!

Closed