Introduce yourself HERE!

I'M RONALD MULATRE FROM HAITI, I LIVE IN SANTIAGO TOWN FOR 4 MONTHS, I'M HERE FOR MY SCHOOL,. I SPEAK ENGLISH, FRENCH, HAITIAN CREOL AND A LITTLE SPANISH. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME NEW FRIENDS WHO SPEAK FRENCH-SPANISH OR ENGLISH-SPANISH, SO I CAN IMPROVE MY SPANISH .. I'M USING FACEBOOK TOO.

welcome to the forums Ronald.  I am sure you can find some people here to practice your languages with. And I hope you can help answer questions from others and tell us your experiences of life here in the DR as well!

I add my welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good folks here with good information for you

Bob K

Hello,  I too am from Canada and looking to relocate to the DR for at least 5 months a year if not permanently :-)  The coldest months to start :-)  What part of Canada are you from ?  What months are you renting for ?

I am in Toronto, Ontario and would going as a single female.  Both my son's are grown and travel 8 - 10 months a year for work so really no serious ties to Toronto anymore. 

Shari

Welcome to the forums. I am also Canadian and have been here over 10 years. I am in Santo Domingo.

Welcome to the forum.  We are originally from Colorado USA and moved here full time to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area) almost 8 years ago.
There are lots of nice folks here with lots of information.  So feel free to ask any questions you may have about the DR.

Bob K

Sorry wrong thread.  I am so upset at this shipping company that I can't think straight.

Reposting on Day in the life

Bob K

Will look for it there!

Hi All,
I am Alena, originally from Belarus, currently live in US, planning to move to Santo Domingo in May. I was wondering how easy it is to find an apartment (furnished, 1 bedroom in safe area, close to markets/entertainment). My budget for an apartment is $300-$500. I will be working remote for my company in US, so good internet is a necessity. Also, what is an average cost of living in Santo Domingo, besides rent costs? For one person, early 30s, occasional weekend trips, no car
Thanks!

Welcome Alena,  yes you can find an apartment for this budget.  My cable, home phone and good internet cost me about US 75 a month,  Electricity will vary based on your use and having an air conditioner.  Everything else is a function of your lifestyle.  Food - varies hugely based on how you eat. Going out can be relatively inexpensive to expensive!  Again it all depends on how you like to live!

Read many of the threads here to get more info. Then start a new thread if needed to ask any other questions!

Alena welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of nice folks here with good information.  We live on the north coast so I am not a great source for information on Santo Domingo.  Planner would be the go to person there.
As she had said living expenses will vary depending on your life style.  Feel free to ask any questions.
Again welcome

Bob K

Hello people,
My name is Dave, i am planning to visit Dominican Republic next week.
I heard that Lost Terrenas is a good place to live for expact ???
I would like to fond somebody who is already there to show me around !!!
It could be another city, as well...

Thank you and waiting for reply.

Dave

Welcome to the forums Dave!  Las Terrenas can be a fabulous place to live - if it meets your needs.  Come take a look,  spend some time there..... I will alert one of our members who lives near there to respond to you!

For now, read the forums and ask your questions!  We are here to help.

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum.

We live in Las Galeras which is a short journey from Las Terrenas but are in Las Terrenas at Hotel Mariposa most weekends.  Las Terrenas is a nice town with lots of ex-Pats, mainly French, plenty of stores selling familiar products and lots of bars, cafes and restaurants. Some people have found it to be a bit too busy but many like the hustle and bustle.  It really depends on what you want from your new home town..

I just want to tell any Canadians visiting Dominican is to bring Canadian money ; there is no use exchanging your money into US and get hit with the extra fee for exchange   your money; if you bring the Canadian exchange places just use the official exchange rate ;  so      let me explain this more simple if now u want to get $100 US you'd pay about 113 Canadian at the bank here in Canada  lets our dollar is worth officially 90.10 ; so          if you add that $13 to the 100 Canadian in Dominican you actually get almost 100 pesos more because there are no fees on the exchange rate ; this is what I found out when I was there ; if you want to bring US money  to maybe get a better deal on renting a car  maybe that would work ; I;m not sure about  that part ;
a few years ago I brought a lot of $1and $5   bills to give as tips at  bars  or restaurants but last year most people told me they rather get Dominican pesos as tips ;
this year I ';m coming for almost 5 weeks have rented   a small bungalow with a good friend   ;  will cook some of my own meals and be able to relax  and enjoy life down there better then being at a all inclusive ; and  enjoy  going out to some of my favorite spots  in sosua . cabarete and  renting a small suv with a friend and travelling up the north coast ; plus looking at  some properties I seen on line for future rentals for next year ;
last year brought some money in American Express Travellers checks but the only place to exchange them is at Banco Popular  and western union ;
I hate to travel with lots of cash but I'll use the ATM's at banks

Thanks for the post.  We do discuss this in other threads on this board, feel free to join in.  My usual advice to Canadians, bring some cash but use your ATM card at good locations and get the very best exchange rate that way!

Dave,
Welcome to the forum.  I see you have some responses already to your question on LT.  We have been here full time for 8 years living down the road some in the Sosua/Cabarete area.
Ask away and we will try to help

Bob K

Thank you

I Will be arriving in Santiago on tuesday 18 March, for 10 days, planning to visit location that i Will be living in 2015.
Want a place that as lest tourist don't mind the local, i have work for 2 years in Haïti so i dont need 4 star hotel or house..
I like to do motor cycle and Diving, i heard about lost Terrenas but i am shure their is other place, if you can help me just by telling me wich city to visit, Will be renting a motor cycle an if i can meet expat in their city that can make me a tour of their place, i do speaker french also..

Thank you in advance

Davey

Hi Davey, I am in Santo Domingo if you get here, I will be happy to show you around. Please be careful on a motorcycle - it's dangerous here on a bike.

Thank you for the advice, but what is Dangerous ?
The way people drive or to get my rented bike stolen or both ???
Yes i Will be honor to see you in Santo Domingo....
So you can give me more advice...
Davey

Both are dangerous. Be very very careful driving here and yes, make sure the bike is well secure!

Driving here is very dangerous and driving a motorcycle even worse.  Be VERY careful. Do know here there are not many driving laws that are obeyed on a regular basis.  Stop signs and red lights many times are merely  a  suggestion.  Those laws that they do decide to enforce on any given day seem to "catch" many more gringos then Dominicans.  Any accident that you, God forbid, are involved in will be your fault no matter what the circumstances.

Bob K

O.k. Thank you i understand.
But how can i visit some potential city to live, is it better to rent a car ??
Take a taxi or the bus ?
Wich place should i go first ??

Thank you

Davey

Hello I am a newbie on this blog site but not new to being an expat. I have been here six years now, and I from Canada. Hello to everyone.

I own a hotel close to Cabrera. I have 40 rooms and take a lot of pride in running the place to keep everyone happy. I hire only the best local staff who understand how to treat my guests regardless where they are from. I train my staff to perform their jobs to my standard (Dominican or NOT). I pay them well and demand the best. I also own an ocean going excursion service and spend a lot of time on the boat. I love it !!

Six years here has not all been so easy, but I managed to hit my mark 2 years ago. Before that time, I tried and tried again. I know the life here from the bottom up. I understand the culture, good and bad. Along the way I have been robbed, run over my mindless drivers and observed many ugly aspects of the culture šfirst handš. Yes there are also pleasant stories also and I am happy for those. But ya gotta keep security in mind always and rose-colored glasses will hide the ugly side of the country, but you will not escape the sad realities.

Bluckynow

Welcome to the forum.  Very good post and so true.

With your experience I am sure you have lots of information to share with us.  I look forward to your future contributions.

We have been here in the Sosua/Cabarete area for almost 8 years now and can relate to  your experiences.

Again welcome

Bob K

Hello , Sugarnspice
WHich town from DR would you like to to live in?

Blackstone - welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing more from you!!! Yes it all takes time and various experiences to really understand things here. And, you continue to learn every day - at least I sure do!!

Welcome aboard.

Hello family! Nicholas here, I'm new to the expat-blog, just saying hello to all. About myself, I'm American born, but of mixed heritage. (mothers family background originates from DR, fathers originates from St Thomas) But more American than anything else.  My hobbies include sports, health and fitness, dancing, a little singing, listening to music, playing instruments, exercising and relaxing by the waters. Swimming too - but not great at it lol.  I am a new retiree from my career in New York  - and am now looking to spend some winter months in DR more as a local less as a tourist. This is for purposes of relaxation, staying warm - but also to absorb more of my Dominican culture. The reason why I joined this blog is to find information and opinions on how I can do something like this. And for networking purposes; because if I did spend time there I would surely want to know Americans and other expats so I don't feel so alone in my endeavours.

So thats me!  Any information on how these things can be done would be wonderful. I'm more interested in San Pedro de Macoris because I find it fascinating!   It as well was the hometown of my great grandparents.

Welcome to the forums! To make life easier for you we need to find out if you qualify for your Dominican passport! I will discuss that privately if you prefer.

Lots of people here with many years of experience!  Read the forums, ask questions and start threads as you need to.

For diving, it has to be Las Galeras. We have some of the best dive sites on the island just a short sail away from our beach.

So how does having a Dominican passport make life easier? Please explain, I mean, I travel there with my US passport with no problems. Just trying to understand. Also, how would I possibly qualify for one actually.  I assume somehow through my great grandparents, a friend of mine mentioned the same thing to me before, that I could qualify for a Dominican passport because of them...I didn't really ask him too much questions about it though.

Hello Planner,
How can i leave you a message in your personnal box ??

Dave

We need to find out if you qualify for you Dominican citizenship, then you get your passport (you can have both). Makes it easier to travel, no tourist tax etc....

Dave if you click on "planner" you can go to my profile and send me a private message.

I meant that Im not a Dom Citizen, just going to school there.

nicholas3035 welcome to the forum.  This forum has lots of nice folks with good information for you.  We "retired" to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete) area almost 9 years ago and have not looked back for a second.  This area is a good mix of locals, expats and tourists. You should come visit in your travels.

If you plan on spending half a year here at a time I am not sure why you would need to apply for a passport (Citizenship). Unless your parents are from here I don't think it will be any easier for you.  You could and should apply for residency and cedula (national ID card) which allows you to stay here for as long as you like with out penalty or tourist tax.

Feel free to ask away and again welcome.

Bob K

Bob he may qualify for citizenship by lineage of birth! May be much faster and much less expensive.  That's why I mentioned it honey.

I did not know that grandparents were enough. Not sure his mom was born here.

Bob K

My name is Kevin. My wife Sue and I will be moving to the Sosua area in October/November.  We currently live in Toronto, but have also lived in Belgium, Japan and the US in the past. 

We are looking forward to this next move.  I have already learned a lot from the threads that have been posted here, and look forward to meeting some of you once we are settled there.

Bob I believe grandparents do qualify, but, asked my lawyer to confirm.

Welcome Casey!! Congratulations to you both. Let us know how we can be of help?

Closed