Places to visit in Riyadh

Hi,

For the ones living in Riyadh, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Riyadh, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Riyadh?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

[Moderated: Off topic]

frankly ,nothing just malls maybe ,this is so far what I know

is it for Riyadh ? :D

Me too looking for places to visit during the coming holidays......a friend of mine suggested Abha but better if u can have a team..

Yanbuo ,  Taief  and Jeddah are good cities to visit
For Riyadh it depends on weather, I live in Riyadh and I don't have so many places to visit.

In Riyadh, there is the National Museum (I LOVE that place!  Always recommend it).

Also, old Diriyah is pretty interesting for you historical buffs.

Lots of people love visiting the various Souks and don't forget Masmak Fort.  The zoo is pretty decent, too--not a huge assortment of animals but a lovely park-like setting and many people pack picnics and spend the day on the grass, in the shade of the large trees.

Also, there are often games at the King Fahd International Stadium (men only :mad: ).

And that's about all I've got.  Have fun!

As Alliecat suggested, there are quite a few places to visit. I would also add the Aircraft museum, Salam Park (with grass and a man made pond), Wadi Hanifa and especially if you are single, Thumama. This is a desert just outside of Riyadh and you can rent a dune buggy or quad bikes and do some dune bashing.
Then there is Zulfi a bit away from Riyadh but you can really enjoy the hills there.

P.S.: I heard the Zoo here has one tiger who is fed grass because he originally came to Saudi on visa with profession of donkey.Of course, I don't believe all of it.

Well, let me tell you Julie...
Overall all of the comments posted are correct, so if you want to add them all up and put a few more extra things that could all be part of an itinerary around Riyadh are:

a. Daytime:
1. Spend a day in your compound pool(s) and areas
2. Visit the camel souk (bazaar), outside Riyadh
3. Safari with 4WD  vehicles at the dunes towards Thumamah
4. Zoo
5. Dirab golf club (of course if you play golf (or are willing to try), time will pass better...)
6. Aviation museum (exit 10)
7. National museum (it is worth it, whether you are a museums fan or not...)
8. If children are involved, take them to AL HOKAIRLAND and CITY STAR amusement parks (they are next to each other)
9. Rent a Rolls-Royce... (!)

b. Nighttime
1. Have dinner at AL FAISALIAH's revolving restaurant (don't think of the money... you won't do it again soon...)
2. Go up the Skydome of Kingdom Center. It is a miracle of modern engineering.
3. Have dinner at NAJD VILLAGE restaurant

That's it... If you haven't filled your vacation days yet, let me know. I may always remember something forgotten here...  :)