Trying Puerto Vallarta for 6 months

Hi I have plans to stay in Puerto Vallarta October to March to see if I like it enough to stay. I have been there twice this year for a week at a time. I am a man 65 years old and retired with income of 2-3000 a month. Is it doable on my income?
Do any of you have have insights in what I will encounter. Is there health insurance I can buy for my short time there and if so what is the cost.
I plan on staying walking distance to El Centrol and using buses. I do have a lawyer's phone number there to help with the process if I decide to stay. I know there are a lot of single young ladies in town but are there many mid-age ladies?
I am from Washington State near Olympia.
Dale

You can not renew a FMM Tourist Permit. If you wish a Residente Temporal (the old FM3) which is good for one year and is renewable locally, you have to apply at a Mexican Consulate in your home country - Seattle is the closest consulate for you.

If you get a resident visa you would qualify for the national insurance I think. Once you hit 65 private insurance isn't so easy to get.
I don't live in that area, but I imagine it's much like most of Mexico a manana way of doing things. Food if you wash it is pretty safe, Stock up on bug repellent. If you don't speak Spanish it would be a good idea to spend time learning it.

There is an organic co-op there so I know there is likely a fair sized expat community with people of all ages.

I lived for a number of years in Wa. so I know this a big change for you benvenido a Mexico.

DaleW wrote:

Hi I have plans to stay in Puerto Vallarta October to March to see if I like it enough to stay.

Those are the nicest months. Try the hottest months of April to September. If you can stand the heat and humidity in those months, then October to March will be easy.

There is a very active expat comunity in PV, from young to "silver hair". Your budget should allow you a comfortable living despite PV is not the cheapest place to rent and live.
Why would you want to spend money on a lawyer? You will receive a visa valid for 180 days upon arrival. This will not be renewable within the country but from a consulate or embassy in your home country. While in PV you could contact the migration office and get all relevant info (they do speak good english) or check out the offical Migration Office webpage (english, too) Instituto Nacional de Migración  >  inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/pagina_principal/en.html

During the last few years real estate prices and rents went down, plenty of objects on the market at any price range. It might be worth renting through a reputable real estate agency. Check out the MLS Vallarta (multiple search listings) online and you will get profiles on agents and rentals in the area.
Good luck.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts

I was the in April for only a week and it was great. I returned 3 weeks ago for a week and it was hot. With air conditioning it was fine. I did a lot of walking both times but mostly in the mornings the last time.

Bus rides in the heat of the day seem manageable as long as I had a bottle of water or energy drink. My time there just was not enough to get a true indication if I would like it there full time.

Dale

Thank you for your advice

I am trying to think of as much as I can before I get there. Your comments are appreciated. I will have 6 months to check things out but I am a slow learner and wanted a jump start.

Watch out for the air conditioning costs, it can be substantial. Invest in fans, and look for a place with ceiling fans.

A real estate agent is a good idea, because a good one can help you over those bumps.