Central Location on Coast

Good day fine folks.

Am wondering if some of you who are familiar with the coastal areas could help me out?
Looking at a map it kind of looks like Manta is fairly centrally located. Doesn't have to be exact middle. Last week was my first visit to Ecuador for sisters wedding, and was very impressed with the country. Unfortunately I like coasts, and was unable to visit the coast. Plan on taking a trip again soon, and would like to spend about three months exploring the coast. Would like a fairly central location to rent a place at for that time. Looks like Manta could fit the bill, but many of you know much more than I about what is what. If anyone has any suggestions as to where may be a good place to set up a home base, for lack of a better term for a few months, then please feel free to advise. All help is welcome.

Thanks
Josh

We did the exact same thing your talking about Josh.  Here is a great blog that talks about the coast and what it has to offer.  Any questions feel free to ask.
http://www.atruetalltale.wordpress.com

Much obliged Luna.

Funny life's twists and turns. Have been traveling since was in young 20's, and never had any interest in Ecuador. Really only came because of sister, yet I can definitely see this as a place I'll spend several months a year.

Josh , We explored the Coast also from Salinas to Rio Verde on the north end.  Last year.  Really depends on what you are looking for. The entire Coast is absolutely beautiful!  Much of it is unspoiled and pristine virgin land.  If you like wet rain forest the north is like that up by Pedernales, Esmereldas.  We personally loved Rio Verde north of Esmereldas.  Beautiful Beaches etc.  But it is too far from the main areas of the Coast.  Esmereldas is not recommended for many reasons. Atacames, Suwa, Same are nice , but again isolated from Manta and Portoviejo where some government offices are and shopping etc.  We decided after viewing the entire Coast that the north central coast near Bahia was for us.  We felt Manta was too big of a city for us.  Bahia area is green with trees and enough moisture to grow anything.  Manta is a Central location for the southern coast exploration.  Bahia is better for the northern coast.  Atacames is good for the far northern part , in the malecon area.  Southern areas are beautiful also, several areas to stop and see.  Salinas is fairly expensive but is a nice area to see.  Josh it really comes down to personal preference on where you like for your reasons.  I would be happy to share more of the information we gathered on our trip if you like.  We are building a development in Canoa just 20 minutes north of Canoa.  Again happy to share with you if you would like.  Happy travels, we love Ecuador and are permanent residents, currently living in Bahia.  Half the fun is in exploring the different areas.  Charlie

Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of info. I'm looking for.

Charlie- Thanks for the offer. I'd be more than happy to hear. or listen to any of your thoughts and information. Generally speaking I'm not a big city person, and prefer smaller laid back towns. Not so tiny that they are isolated from everything, but any place that is tranquillo with a few bar/resteraunts is fine with me. Have been hearing good things about Bahia, and that sounds like it might be a good fit for me.

Suppose my situation is perhaps a bit different than many people looking at relocating to Ecuador. I'm perfectly happy with my land in Panama, and plan on starting to build in the next year or so (no rush). So am not really looking to relocate or invest in Ecuador at this point. Travel has been a big part of my life, and really am just looking at finding a possible nice spot to kick back and relax for a few months every year in Ecuador.

Perhaps one day will look more seriously at investing and relocating to Ecuador, but that time is not now.

Cheers and thanks for the help all.

Just let us know how we can help you.  If you need a place to stay here in Bahia or need travel info. etc. Happy to help if we can.  Loving it and Living it in Bahia.  Charlie