Moving to Jeddah next week

Hello,

I am moving to Jeddah next week.

The compound I am going to live is the Al Basateen, it looks very good from the photos and the virtual tour of their site, if you have any more info to share with me it would be great.

I have some questions you might be able to answer.

Which mobile service provider to prefer and why? I am using my mobile (Iphone) for many things, e-mails, facebook twitter whatsapp viber skype etc. Is any of these banned in KSA? I must buy a pay as you go sim as soon as I step my foot in KSA is there at the airport any store? I need any specific documents? I need to have alot of data available until I have my iqama etc and make a line rental.

Any do's and dont's tips for the first days? Like dont speak to women etc?

Thanks.

First things first.

Hi,
I totally recommend Zain company. they offering 10sry pre paid for day including free texting, data and calls.

Hope this info is valuable..
good luck and have a safe trip :)

Kalimera,,

Let me start by welcoming you in jeddah…There are few Greeks  living in Jeddah especially the ones working for construction companies. The Greek consulate use to be active on cultural and social fronts (not sure if they are still active).

Any ways, Basatten compound is one of the top 5 compounds in Jeddah. Its Positives includes; good location nice atmosphere and lavish greenery. Negatives; old rooms/villas/facilities they are so out of the  80's ( I think that they built few new villas recently) and they have many small swimming pools hindering the advantage of having one big pool to encouraging socializing among residents.

For the mobile providers, am using STC but everybody I know keeps telling me that Mobily has better deals especially for data (its like 150SR/month for 2G with tons of free messages). Viber is blocked in Saudi and there are talks that Whatsapp will be blocked as will. You need only your passport to get the Sim from the airport and all of three mobile providers have stands at the airport.

You will be arriving in Summer time and Ramadan is in four weeks from now so those two will make it hard for you to adjust since life/work/people all will changes during this time

I would recommend Mobily or STC.
Skype is available
Viber isn't
Ensure you company provides you with a SIM card upon arrival
Compound is good
If you see expat women, sure you can speak to them. Jeddah is more liberal than any other area in the country. The police in Jeddah usually turn a blind eye to the expats, that is why they are so respected in the city.

Best of luck

welcome ..
Be on your nature .. you do not need for tips first days
I recommend STC, its covered a lot space of country
am from Jeddah, let me know if u need anything i can do it for u

Best Of Luck

Thanks a lot :)

I didn't buy SIM card though as I came at 1 o clock at night and didn't notice any store open.

:/

I love how with all those negatives, Al Basateen is still one of the top 5 compounds lol

I guess the amenities must make up for the lack of quality of the actual housing, then?

brinpol wrote:

I love how with all those negatives, Al Basateen is still one of the top 5 compounds lol

I guess the amenities must make up for the lack of quality of the actual housing, then?

why bumping an old thread y0 ?