Cost of living in Waterloo

Any one from waterloo/kitchnere, can you kindly help me here

I currently living in Sharjah United Arab Emirates. I am planning to come to Waterloo for studying in August 2013

I have a family of myself, wife and 3 children (4, 2.5 and 1.5 years old). My children will not start school until they are 5.

I would be grateful to you if you could help me with approximates costs of living there.

I would be having a net amount of around $10000/year as funding from the university. My tuition fees are paid by them.

We wouldn't be going to cinemas or pubs. Our usual living would be average groceries, average 2 bedroom apartment, using public transportation (may be buying an average car), visits to some amusement areas and so on. We are from a culture where alcohol, partying, concerts and all these are not endorsed.

Hence, considering the above factors, can you give me a rough estimate of the costs to be beared by me per month? I know there are a lot of variations, but you can consider everything low to average standard of living for me.

Thanks in advance for the answer

Hello mirfan346.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Ontario forum for more visibility.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Aurelie,

Thanks a lot for your help.

mirfan346,

I hate to burst your bubble, but a single person can't live on $10,000 per year let alone a family. Even if the university is paying your tuition the cost of housing alone is going to eat up almost all of the allowance you get.

One good indicator of what your life is going to be like if you try just living on that allowance is just looking at the Ontario Minimum Wage. Presently it is $10.25 per hour based on a 40 hour workweek or roughly $1600 per month or $19200 per year (almost double what you will be receiving). It's just enough for a single person to live on and you'll be getting considerably less.

Either you will have to work part-time outside your hours of study, or your wife will need to work to bring in some extra income.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Mr. William,

Many thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your time for this.

I have mentioned the types of expenditure I would be doing in my original post like housing, transportation and so on. So what I am looking for is an average amount per month which I am likely to face in Waterloo. I am well aware that 10000 a year will never be enough. I am preparing some finance for my studies which is why I am looking for an estimate of expected costs.

your help in this regard would be invaluable

Best Regards

Muhammad Irfan

I would suggest that you start by adding at the very minimum $10,000 CAD to your yearly budget which when combined with your university allowance will be equal to a full-time job at the Minimum Wage. This will give you and your family a basic "no-frills" lifestyle and not much else. Anything above that amount that you can add to the budget will improve your standard of living.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Dear Mr. William,

Thats a great help from you. Much appreciated.

Just as a second opinion, If anyone else reading this can give me an estimate would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Muhammad Irfan