Viber possibly blocked in KSA

Viber is not working and seems it has been blocked (finally).

saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20130327158725

I heard skype will be ban in KSA never the Viber.......

why? its a good application :|

Security concerns they say. CITC can't peep through the communiciation done on secured tunnels.

Such services are definitely causing huge losses to telecom generics. I mean SMS and calls.

All are in the list @Jasfur. Skype, Viber, Whatsapp... just click the link I've shared.

There are reports published in different websites that Viber has been blocked in the kingdom but no more information about other apps like Whats App and Skype...

Ehtesham wrote:

There are reports published in different websites that Viber has been blocked in the kingdom but no more information about other apps like Whats App and Skype...

I have hopes though that they'll unblock it soon like what they did with BB in 2010 ;)

i blv, they already have rights to monitor BBM. Viber i believe refused the rights thus they have blocked viber. I hope they leave skype and whatsapp atleast

Viber may not want to suffer following their advices just like Apple does in FaceTime features availability :(

All working fine through VPN !! :)

saimans wrote:

All working fine through VPN !! :)

which vpn are you using I am using HMA

VPN makes your device look like as if you were somewhere outside KSA. So all KSA blocked works. But as most of my local contacts won't switch to VPN, I don't consider this as an option.

I'm seeing the crowd switching to Tango. I saw their App some 2 yrs back and had a look yesterday. Wow, in my view the functionalities they offer *now* have leapfrogged ALL (even the mighty WhatsApp). Do give it a shot.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

VPN makes your device look like as if you were somewhere outside KSA. So all KSA blocked works. But as most of my local contacts won't switch to VPN, I don't consider this as an option.

I'm seeing the crowd switching to Tango. I saw their App some 2 yrs back and had a look yesterday. Wow, in my view the functionalities they offer *now* have leapfrogged ALL (even the mighty WhatsApp). Do give it a shot.

thanks will give it a try :)
By any chance do you know if that works in UAE

Nop @Ars. Viber and Tango don't work in UAE.

Interesting News: Viber expected to be restored in Saudi Arabia within 2 weeks

http://riyadhconnect.com/viber-expected … n-2-weeks/

----

Viber expected to be restored in Saudi Arabia within 2 weeks
on Jun 8, 2013 Total Views : 30  Daily Views : 29 No Comments

Viber founder and CEO Talmon Marco told the BBC that he did not know the reason for the blockage of Viber  in Saudi Arabia, but services would be restored soon.

Saudi authorities had warned Viber and other encrypted messaging services like Skype and Whatsapp in March that they would be blocked unless they provided a means to to be monitored, so the move is not entirely unexpected.

Talmon said he had refused to provide data requested by Saudi officials. ”We regret the decision of the Saudi authorities to block Viber,” a Viber spokeswoman said. “We love our millions of users in Saudi Arabia and hope to restore service in the coming days. We encourage Saudi users to follow Viber on Facebook and Twitter for updates.”

Many Saudis and expatriates living in the kingdom were prompted by the warning  to protest against the move. Some also began to censor their messages, in case they were already being monitored.

The block on Viber might be a first step against all 3 services or that the two others might already be monitored, Mr Marco suggested.

Millions of expatriate workers in Saudi Arabia increasingly rely on free messaging services to stay in touch with their relatives. Both Saudis and expatriates in the kingdom have reacted strongly to the block on Viber.

Mr Marco, however, offered reassurance that his company was already working on a way to get past the block. He added that Viber had faced similar moves to block it in Iran and dealing with the problem there has given them valuable experience. The first stage of a workaround is expected to be ready within a couple of weeks.

thanks for the info

Dear reader,
Good day! How can I have an unblocked vpn site to utulize my viber, skype and other free call website.

Thanks & regards,
Roberto

I use touchvpn.com on my handheld devices. Works perfect (and free too)!

I use vpn4all.com works great. Went off HMA after they outed Anonymous