Internet for imessage/whatsapp/facetime

Im due to travel from uk to saudi in a few weeks.

I want to stay in close contact with my family

I have an iphone 6: and wondering what is best way to use imessage, whatsapp, facetime.

I want to keep my own uk sim in my iphone as i have had it for years and would be hassle to change.

What would be best way to contact home

1. Purchase a saudi broadband package
2. Purchase a saudi 4g data sim place it in a mifi device and connect to iphone
3. Replace uk sim with saudi sim

Any other suggestions would be good

iMessage and Whatsapp/Facebook texting works fine. However, for video calling FaceTime/Skype/Whatsapp/Facebook, you will need a VPN as these VOIPS are stopped here some months ago.

You will need a Saudi sim as banking and lots of ministry things including driving tickets/penalties are linked with it.

Thank you very much, yes i very much intend to have vpn prior to entry into country

Will prepaid saudi sim allow me to make these calls over 4g without any further charge as i would be video calling overseas on a 4g network?

Thanks again

You can keep ur old sim with u and replace it with new one from KSA and ur contacts in whatsapp, facetime can contact u but i dont know about imessage.

I think the 3ed option will be the best one, and Shabab Prepaid Package from zain gives you everything you need.

Check with your UK mobile company if you are able to use WiFi Calling out of UK. If yes then you just need to connect to any wifi in saudi with your iphone and you can make/receive calls with the same charges like you are in UK.

Best way to contact home:

1) If you need Video call then either you need a VPN or search for the new apps which is not blocked yet in saudi

2) If you need voice call, best if your UK company allows you on WiFi Calling in saudi. If not then you need a VPN or search for new apps which is not blocked yet in saudi.

OR send a Zain saudi SIM back to UK, enable WiFi Calling then your family can make/receive calls to your new saudi number with the same charges like they are in saudi.

3) If you need message then whatapps, FB messenger or imessage