Sending and receiving packages in Saudi Arabia

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Saudi Arabia?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Saudi Arabia?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Postal service is One of the most worse service   in Saudi Arabia.They(Public Postal department-Saudi Post- never deliver the parcel if it is not under registered post.I had many worse experience .Even you complained there is no solution is Saudi Arabia.

I have experienced the same, never received letters sent through postal service so better use Aramex, UPS or DHL when you want to send something here.

never done any shipment through postal services.

Hi pris,

Ever never do not use postal service in Saudi, go to any special service like DHL-Aramaix- but it is expensive if you compare by Postal Service.

So far after almost 3 years of receiving packages by aliexpress via saudipost. Everytime a tracking number is there, the package can be traced and tracked easily. No problems.  I used it to send domestic package as well, it's good but expensive. So I use mainly cargo by sea using private companies. They are the most dangerous. Because once it reaches local country, things can be removed from box and blamed onto customs.

Hi expats!..i usually get my items shipped from china from Saudi Post and I think their services are quite good..but expect 30-45 days arrival period. And dont worry, Saudi Post will send text notifications how and where to get your items.

Well, I personally prefer the Saudi post, which is Saudi government's local post. The prices vary to different countries. The prices are on the website I think. And can be easily availed from the centre itself. They have brochures. As I have send parcels only to India, I do not know of any other countries. The prices are reasonable and it took exactly 20 days to reach India. Doorstep delivery. And tracking system helps is to know the whereabouts.

Hello everybody,
Even I have a short time in Saudi Arabia, but usually I'm using the public postal service mainly sending, and I've no problem, Better faster cheaper than UPS, ARAMEX, FEDEX, DHL,... Etc. I think there is a good progress in Public Postal Service

Hello Priscilla,

Hope you are doing well and thanks for your message.

Kindly find below my answers to your questions:

1-    Is the public postal system efficient? >>> Yes, it's efficient
2-    Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones? >>> DHL
3-    How do the costs of the private shipping services compare? >>> If time does not matter, then you can go with Saudi Post. If time is matter, then you can select DHL
4-    Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad? >>> It depends on the cost / nature of items. If it's just normal gifts, then no taxes applicable
5-    Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere? >>> It depends on the sender if he mentioned your address then it will be delivered to your address Or the sender can send it to the shipping office near to your address and you can go there and collect your materials.

Please let me know if you need any support.

Thanks
Maged

Thanks Priscilla for your message. I bought a hand watch for 600$from Quest net. I got it with out tax.
Thanking you
Very truly yours

It used to be average but has gotten really bad this past 2 years.

yes, postal system is very nice here. Depending upon your items volumes. If volume is big then you can send or receive via CARGO. They deliver at the door step and they charge per kg, like 5 or 6 SR per KG.

If you want to send documents etc, then you can use Saudi Post or SMSA or ARAMAX. ARAMAX has cheaper rates.

If you CARGO electronics items then you need to pay the tax but no tax on house hold items like bed set, chairs, cupboards. I suggest you if you have huge volume then go for CARGO system.

Hi dear,

Don't you hear about “saudi national address” ?, that the government allows all saudi and expatriates register their address. It's not a joke, you can really register your real position to use it for any shipping processes.

But wait, what if you work for 8 hours or more out from your living address ?, i prefer to use it as my shipping address, like my office for example. I frequently order some stuff from online shopping website like souq.com or jollychic. The courir almost delivers my order to my office, because they work in morning, as my work time.

For sending parcels (up to 30kg) and documents you can use Saudi Post, depending on your destination, it may take a week to 3 weeks, considerably for a lower cost than courier services.  For courier I have used SMSA or Aramex, both are good!

Without writing any negative commentary, I'm only going to advise of two services if you want to receive parcels or letters from abroad (and maintain your sanity).
For letter, have them sent to a private PO Box (could be your company P.O. Box if they allow it. For online shopping or other items, I use Shop and Ship service from Aramex (used it for last 5 years without any issues).
Avoid UPS in Saudi at all costs, if you're lucky you can expect a 3 to 4 weeks delay and even then you'll probably have to drive to their warehouse to collect in person (even on domestic parcels).