Teachers who wish to volunteer

Hello,

Do you know of any opportunities for teachers who wish to volunteer?  I have a B.S. in Community Health Education and I am currently enrolled in a Masters Program for Social work.  I am looking to take a few months next year off (February to June) in order increase my Spanish fluency.  I am currently at an intermediate level.  A paid position would be ideal but I am willing to begin as a volunteer.  A lot of schools I'm finding online want you to pay $10,000 just to stay a semester which is ridiculous. Any suggestions how I may go about doing this on my own? Thanks

Welcome to the forum!   to find a volunteer or paid position for next February thru June  you are starting wayyyyy too early. It would be unusual to find anyone planning out this far!  Best idea, plan a vacation this summer if you can, come on down and take a look around. The schools may start planning late summer for next winter! 

Another consideration would be working with one of the foundations here that do work in poorer communities!

Hi, thanks for welcoming me to the forum.  I'm only starting the search so early because I need to decipher what I'm going to tell my job about my 5 month leave (i'm prepared to not have a job when I return) and I also need to alert my school and find out how to properly take off a semester without having to re-apply when I come back to the states.  I am planning on taking a vacation to Puerto Plata in July for 8 days.  Maybe I will add an extra day or two to this trip and stay in Santo Domingo to browse the area for schools?  I really prefer to be in a major city as oppose to a small rural village.  Thanks for all your response!!

Compared to Santo Domingo,  Puerto Plata is small but it might work for you as well.  Keep in touch,  if I can help while you are here visiting I will.

Hello,

I have been very enthusiastic when I read your message until you mentionned you wished to stay in a major city. I rule a French School in Rio San Juan (sorry for my English, it won't be perfect as I'm French) and we teach to fifty children. We really want to integrate English language in our classes but we are a small asociation so we don't have many economic ressources. Anyway, if you want we can talk about it in private, by Skype for instance, my contact is angelahotonnier.
I would be pleased to hear about your project if you decide to go and visit us in the North Coast.

Talk to you soon,

Angela H.

Deefunk welcome to the forum. You might want to contact the Dream project here on the north coast. The run multiple schools and camps and are always looking for help.  A good organization. Here is their web site:
dominicandream.org

Bob K

I would be interested in volunteering too during summer time. Let me know if you have any luck.  Is there any summer schools in Santo Domingo?

This is for you.

Hi everyone,

I rule a small French school in Rio San Juan, in the North coast and recently, we've decided to give the school an international orientation by offering English classes throug oral activities as sports, music, arts, games etc...  This would be applied from the youngest students (3 y.o.) to the olders (17 y.o.), from september 2013  to june 2014. We are willing to offer this volunteer job to an American teacher or a couple, and conditions can be negociated.
Please, to get more infos, contact me sending me your CV at efcv.dir[at]gmail.com and visit our blog ecole-francaise.blogspot.com

Thank you!

Angela

Hello Angela -> Could you please post your offer in the Jobs in Santo Domingo section? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Aurélie,

It's done, sorry for the error..