How much would it cost to live in the Philippines

mugtech wrote:

50,000 pesos a month from a small grocery store is very unrealistic.

I agree. My aunt opened a small grocery / convenience store a few years ago as an extra source of income, despite not knowing anything about running one. She closed it after 6 months. She lost money on the venture.

The store was open 12 hours from around 7am to 7pm for security reasons. But not too far was a convenience store chain that was open 24 hours.

They were hoping that the students of the college across their street would go to their shop. But most of the students were from low-income families. And sometimes students would shoplift. Often bought items by students were school supplies and instant noodles. The store charged extra for hot water heated by an electric kettle.

Refrigerators and freezers (for things like soda, water, ice cream products, etc.) were provided for free by suppliers. But these use up a lot of electricity.  They hired a cashier part time. But they caught him giving in to discounts asked by young and pretty customers.

Then there's the initial cost of building the store: cabinetry, storefront, counters, shelves, flooring, painting, etc., including fees for city permits, DTI license, BIR registration, printed invoices and receipts, etc.

I think if my aunt really thought things over before starting the store, such as just getting a self-bought energy efficient refrigerator / freezer, better floor plan to avoid shoplifting, included cheap meals for students, and just managed the store herself, i.e. not hiring employees, she probably would have had an average of PhP20k profit per month, not  PhP30k to PhP50k.

A well-managed sari-sari store could earn the same depending on location (near a gathering place like a park, basketball, town plaza, barangay hall, no nearby competition, the neighbors have kids and are ok with cheap brands / non-brand items, etc.), if it's well-managed (self-run, no credit, no family members getting free stuff, inventory sourced from wholesalers). One can also do "re-packing" (my assistant did this at one time) where you buy bulk items, and re-package them in small plastic bags, such as garlic, candies, chlorine grains, etc., which you can sell at your store or to other sari-sari stores.

FilAmericanMom wrote:
mugtech wrote:

50,000 pesos a month from a small grocery store is very unrealistic.

I agree. My aunt opened a small grocery / convenience store a few years ago as an extra source of income, despite not knowing anything about running one. She closed it after 6 months. She lost money on the venture.

The store was open 12 hours from around 7am to 7pm for security reasons. But not too far was a convenience store chain that was open 24 hours.

They were hoping that the students of the college across their street would go to their shop. But most of the students were from low-income families. And sometimes students would shoplift. Often bought items by students were school supplies and instant noodles. The store charged extra for hot water heated by an electric kettle.

Refrigerators and freezers (for things like soda, water, ice cream products, etc.) were provided for free by suppliers. But these use up a lot of electricity.  They hired a cashier part time. But they caught him giving in to discounts asked by young and pretty customers.

Then there's the initial cost of building the store: cabinetry, storefront, counters, shelves, flooring, painting, etc., including fees for city permits, DTI license, BIR registration, printed invoices and receipts, etc.

I think if my aunt really thought things over before starting the store, such as just getting a self-bought energy efficient refrigerator / freezer, better floor plan to avoid shoplifting, included cheap meals for students, and just managed the store herself, i.e. not hiring employees, she probably would have had an average of PhP20k profit per month, not  PhP30k to PhP50k.

A well-managed sari-sari store could earn the same depending on location (near a gathering place like a park, basketball, town plaza, barangay hall, no nearby competition, the neighbors have kids and are ok with cheap brands / non-brand items, etc.), if it's well-managed (self-run, no credit, no family members getting free stuff, inventory sourced from wholesalers). One can also do "re-packing" (my assistant did this at one time) where you buy bulk items, and re-package them in small plastic bags, such as garlic, candies, chlorine grains, etc., which you can sell at your store or to other sari-sari stores.

From what I have seen the gross profit in such stores is about 10%, so it would take 200k a month in sales to give 20k in gross profit, not a very likely event.  Even with 20k gross profit, the net is less because of overhead expenses.  This would involve working 84 hours a week. The stores I have seen might make 10k on a good month, most much less.

mugtech wrote:

From what I have seen the gross profit in such stores is about 10%, so it would take 200k a month in sales to give 20k in gross profit, not a very likely event.  Even with 20k gross profit, the net is less because of overhead expenses.  This would involve working 84 hours a week. The stores I have seen might make 10k on a good month, most much less.

You're right. I forgot to factor in the extra cost for rent of a commercial space versus a residential. It's 10k profit on a good month.

Hi James

If you contact me it would be great I am in Florida also and have able the same dreams as you except I have a child already 8mos old. And my heart is 31years with me being the reverse of 27 (72) lol. I would like to know the area that you live in for that value per month. Where we live in Taguig cost me 10,000php per month rent,5,000php per month electric and water. Food goes up and down when I am home I like to cook so food can run 6,000php in that month,plus trying to help the family sometimes with about 5,000per month and our Yaya gets 4,000 per month she is a live-in

snappo wow looks like your a big spender, most foreigners come here to live cheaper than back home but go for it, be carefull throwing your money around, philippines is number one place for failed projects by foreigners,

hi,

Why renting? its better to buy properties than renting, because its like buying a house that will never be yours.

I know someone that can help you, they have a projects in Makati, bonifacio global city, and etc.

Please let me know if you are interested, so I can tell her

Cristina

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please do not post your contact details on the forum. Thank you

Always better to rent for at least a year to see how you like the climate and the people.  There is no rush to buy.

Hi,your budget seems very lavish.my family of 4 woth 2kids (toodlers) were able to survive with 20k a month including house rent,electricity,water bills and groceries.

Snappo my advice is,if you have that amount of money,you can do invest and do business in the Philippines.....for an average lifestyle for a leaving you are exatly right to your budgets....try to research.....

Hello
I am now in philipine . I will give you best advice do not live in philipine . First go there and stay for 3 months or six months and see How s life going there and than you can decide . In my point of vue you will like nature and weather but I am not sure if you will like or you won't like and it s cheap and keep sure always not 100% safe place.
%

Do not live *

abdel2 , if i may ask ? whats your reasoning re your comments !!!!

can you translate that into USD$...?

Hi!                                                                                I am married with Filipino.  And I just want you to be sure that this what really you want . Hope you get my idea. It depends on your way of living here and I hope best for you . You will never new a place well if you not at least spend at least six months . You can live in philipine but try first and decide . Hope you  the best .,Regards

hello
I'm looking to move to Philippines with my wife and daughter in 2 years time
and i got 32 million pesos with salary of 120 thousand peso monthly
what is the good friendly places to live in and what is the estimated  costs looking to buy home and a car
and is the 32 million pesos enough
ineed some guidance in which or what to do

If u like a livable climate then try Tagaytay  City for sure.   Where not to go is Manila, it is rated the worst big city in the world for a reason and u will have to hide inside all day from the heat. In Tagaytay City we are just an hour to hour and a half from the  manila airport.  Sure the airport is also rated the worst major airport in the world but hey i just go there to get on  a plane, but u can fly into Cebu and Clark now too which is better if u are further away from Manila. A good place to retire, just dont complain about how they do things as it is backwards but that is how they like it here and we are just guests which alot of expats forget. Oh yes, Rights in the Philippines??? U have NONE unless u are Filipino so remember that always.  Good Luck

did you mean which you "can" own or "can't" own...please clarify..and how is it going since your post...?

Realistically, if one lived outside Manila - say in Bulacan - Would it be possible for two to live on 47,000 PHP a month? Would it be possible for 4 to live on this amount? This amount would include rent.

exeterman wrote:

Realistically, if one lived outside Manila - say in Bulacan - Would it be possible for two to live on 47,000 PHP a month? Would it be possible for 4 to live on this amount? This amount would include rent.

You might need more than that unless you are going to exist as opposed to live.  That is about $1000 USA, and if it includes rent then you will be eating mostly rice and local fruit and vegetables plus cheap seafood and beans for proteins.  We own a house in the province (Ilocos Sur) and spend at least that much and pay no rent.  65,000 or 70,000 pesos/month would be more realistic.

Okay being everyone is posting here ill see if i can get an answer lol.  im thinking of taking 6000 GBP aprox P 385.000 i need to know how many months would that see me through living Filipino way ofcourse, in a nippahut, eating local foods and transportation.. But i also want to know, what if i want to go see a movie a couple times, maybe dine out once or twice a month, how much extra would be added. Ill will be travelling alone too so is it pretty safe to travel alone and what hours are safest. Cause i obviously wanna see how night life works or  do you recommend having a guid? So i need a rough cost a month so i can get a rough idea on how im going to spend my time there and how long. Ive never travelled before so excuses the dumb questions :) i was thinking P30.000 peso a month for 10 months = P300.000 that includes the rent (1bed apartment) With cooker, food and water maybe wifi, probs not though. visa extension every 2 months i heard is P2000 which = P20.000 so that leaves me with P60.000 to get a plane back? What are your guys thoughts? Should i maybe go P40.000 per month for 8 months which is aprox P336.000 (Including visa extensions) im so lost any help will be much appreciated

Hi All,
Please help me out to understand the actual expenses. I will live alone as I am single. I will work near to Cebu IT park. I expect a good and decent lifestyle in around 20 to 24K pesos. I dont smoke and i would prefer eating outside except weekends. I will use Aircon around 10 hours when I am at home as it will be humid there, I am a social drinker and Socialize my life around in bars and pub (Not too much, once in a month), What would be other major expenses in Cebu which I am missing?

I am concerned about my saving. I would like to save little more than what I am saving right now in India. I am saving here around 40K INR (Indian rupees).

Far more than enough , go to Dumagetti in Negros great clean and friendly with all you will want  available there . Unless you like the city , then Makati .

pay 30k  2 bedroom lol getting rip off the locals   seen 3 ,ooo  too 8,ooo peso a month

10k for food see you coming raise the price . know  fact family of 4 eat on 5k a month

24 low in city , 8 k min rent alot place,s  better get a car  are scooter live in smaller towns close too your work.  the rent 1k too 4k  .

remember depends on if fancy 1 bedroom apartment .  cheap about 5 k   best bet stay way from big city  and get car are scooter  live in smaller city  rent vary 1k too 6k  .  food way cheaper as well , water lower cost and lights.  live in say smaller a city away from major ones  way cheaper like a king on  35k peso a month have maid and a driver . make sure you get gf are wife too  get the rent and get the food.    they get for way cheaper min see expat double are triple the rent.