Electricity costs

Hi guys.

Can anyone please tell me the approximate cost of electricity for a month to run a decent sized 1 or small 2 bed apartment.

Thanks

If your out during the day and only use a/c at night, then maybe around 2-4k. Electricity in the Philippines is one of the most expensive in the region.

It depends on how many electrical appliances you use and for how long. Approximate figures:
Refrigerator, 1 or 2 small fans, water heater (for shower only, not a multi-point), low-wattage lights, tv, cable box, computer, cellphone charging: PhP2500 to 3000 / month.

If you use a 1hp aircon to help you sleep better during the evenings for a 12-15 sqm room for around 8 hours: add around PhP2000 to 2500 / month. 

For appliances, i.e., electric stove, microwave, electric kettle,, for cooking meals: add around PhP2000 / month.

For a 1 bedroom 75 sqm condo, I have been paying 4-5,000 pesos per month, with very low air con use, but electric cooking, stove top only.

For a slightly larger place recently, and using air con a reasonable amount, my cost rose to 8,000 per month, even though my cooking was then with gas.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Very useful and much appreciated.

My Electricity Bill in General Santos, for a two bedroom unit occupied by two students, so they are not in the unit 24/7, is around 500php per month.

This is with a fridge, 3 fans, lights, small ish TV, a radio, electric rice cooker, and electric kettle.   (no aircon and no electric hot water)

To be honest, the utilities expense in the province is more expensive than the city. This is based on my experience. I think it is because it depends in the electric and water service provider.

DamoRugby wrote:

Hi guys.

Can anyone please tell me the approximate cost of electricity for a month to run a decent sized 1 or small 2 bed apartment.

Thanks

It depends on where you are. When I lived in a small apartment in Sta Ana, Manila 2013, the bill was around 2,300p a month. Mostly for the lights. We had a TV, 1 window mounted aircon, used sparingly. No hot water. Cooked with gas.

Below is a link Meralco in Manila current charges. 12.48p kwk

http://www.kuryente.org.ph/electric-company/rates/128

Munchie wrote:
DamoRugby wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks

It depends on where you are. When I lived in a small apartment in Sta Ana, Manila 2013, the bill was around 2,300p a month. Mostly for the lights. We had a TV, 1 window mounted aircon, used sparingly. No hot water. Cooked with gas. 2 fans, 1 small ref.

Below is a link Meralco in Manila current charges. 12.48p kwh

Read why it is so high.   http://www.bworldonline.com/weekender/c … ?id=113411http://www.kuryente.org.ph/electric-company/rates/128

Not sure about that size of an apartment, I have a two story house in CDO and I spend between P7,000 to P10,000 here depending on how many A/C I have on.

Just like in every country electric consumption is different per person.

I just know that the best way to figure your consumption based on the monetary comparison is the way it was explained to me by a guy before I came here.

This  might be helpful. I pay 1,000 pesos a month. I live alone. My house is under construction now so during the day the workers are using power tools and fans and lights. I am living here while it's being done. If I  were in the USA  my bill would  be over $200. Here  you  can  expect to pay  between  10 to 15% of what you normally would have to pay in a western country. So a sure bet is that if you  are used to winter and summer months in your home country that means you have experienced very high bills... A very high bill here is  $100 most  philipinos would scream at such a high bill unless they are running a business from home.

So unless you are financially strapped then don't sweat the small stuff. There are cases where the electric company will over charge so watching your usage for the first couple of months is a wise thing to do and if you  notice that the bill is higher than per say your neighbors house then bring it to their attention and they will adjust it accordingly because most bills are computer generated. Which means mistakes are possible.

By no means should you estimate your cost of living based on someone else's. Just know that if you  paid on average  $100 in your home country then you  will  pay  between  $10 to $20 here. So enjoy running your Air-con because ain't nothing like being comfortable. At least you don't have to pay for gas to keep warm for 6 months a year.

Point to know... If you have to live here and worry about using Air-con then you obviously are not in the financial position to live here. The highest price anyone posted was less than  $200 that's still low for  a pensioner to manage with. Even though most of us pay considerably less.

DamoRugby wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks

We built a single story 88 square meter home with 2 bedrooms. We have invertor AC in the house. During the month of June we ran the two units in the main part of the house (living, dining, kitchen area) from around 10 or 11 am to around 8 pm in the evening. Rarely do we use the bedroom AC unless we are in the room during the day as it is cool at night here. Our bill for the AC ran P3260 for the month of June.
We like the invertor AC and have had no problems with it, some don't like them. We have found that using a traditional window unit in another house in just the bedroom alone and fans in the rest of the home ran us about P2400.

Bottom line is it depends on your consumption.

Brisbane
Cost of Electricity per Kwh $0.29 or 9.53    PHP (based on  $542.59 for 1871kwh for 3 months)

Manila
Cost of Electricity per Kwh $0.26 or  8.48 PHP (based on 8560php for 1009kwh for 3 months [a period without air con])

So if you have the same size house, and the same appliances used for the same amount of time, your electric bills would be similar.  Maybe about 10% less according to the kwh rate between those two examples.

But if you do without many electrical appliances and use less electricity, then your cost would be less, just as it would be if you cut down back home.

Not having a Fridge, Freezer, PVR, TV, Air Con etc will help to keep the Electric costs down to average local Filipino levels.

I knew some Filipinos who pay only around 1,000 peso per month.

TeeJay4103 wrote:
DamoRugby wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks

We built a single story 88 square meter home with 2 bedrooms. We have invertor AC in the house. During the month of June we ran the two units in the main part of the house (living, dining, kitchen area) from around 10 or 11 am to around 8 pm in the evening. Rarely do we use the bedroom AC unless we are in the room during the day as it is cool at night here. Our bill for the AC ran P3260 for the month of June.
We like the invertor AC and have had no problems with it, some don't like them. We have found that using a traditional window unit in another house in just the bedroom alone and fans in the rest of the home ran us about P2400.

Adding to my earlier comment above for clarification. Our P3260 bill for June included the use of not only the Air conditioners, but also a water heater, 14 cu ft. refrigerator / freezer, a fan when the AC is off, TV and satellite equip, wireless internet equipment, lights and the occasional use of a microwave, turbo broiler, toaster oven, a coffee pot and an electric weed eater. We have a gas stove.

I live in Naic.in Cavite in case you've never heard of Naic (Nigh Eek)  I have 3 electric fans, refrigerator, hot plate, TV and a bunch of lights.  There are two of us--me and my wife.   We pay 1,300 to 1,600 every month.   I have learned to\
live without air con.   I have lived other places with air con and the electric bill would always be at least 2000 piso.