Short vacation in Mexico

Urgent! I need a short vacation in Mexico from the book store. Like next week.

The BIG question. Can I go somewhere in Mexico in my 2007 Honda Civic sedan? I speak enough Spanish to "get by" and I can get much much better every day I spend there.

My wish list?
* Not getting killed,
* Not getting robbed by weapons,
* Having the possibility of talking my way out of paying a bribe,

That's my wish list of "don'ts," here wish list of what I can do and would like:
* Can stay OK in middle-class Mexican motel or equivalent,
* Can eat almost anything,
* Traveling with complete kitchen, able to shop in open-air markets,
* Willing to stay a week in a place with at least toilet and shower and not even necessarily a kitchen.
* Bringing own linens and bedding (but not bed)
* Hoping for Verizon cell service and data service for my smart phone.
* Maximum range of sort of 1,200 miles from Nogales (my logical port of entry)
* Hoping to go to Lake Chapala for its proximity (about 1,000 miles from Nogales)

Oh, it'll be just me, no women along. No pets of course. No guns. No dope. No liquor.

Help me out here. Tell me I can go. It would be really good news.

Let me know.

Regards,

Hello JuergenHaber.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Mexico forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

JuergenHaber wrote:

Urgent! I need a short vacation in Mexico from the book store. Like next week.

The BIG question. Can I go somewhere in Mexico in my 2007 Honda Civic sedan? I speak enough Spanish to "get by" and I can get much much better every day I spend there.

My wish list?
* Not getting killed,
* Not getting robbed by weapons,
* Having the possibility of talking my way out of paying a bribe,

That's my wish list of "don'ts," here wish list of what I can do and would like:
* Can stay OK in middle-class Mexican motel or equivalent,
* Can eat almost anything,
* Traveling with complete kitchen, able to shop in open-air markets,
* Willing to stay a week in a place with at least toilet and shower and not even necessarily a kitchen.
* Bringing own linens and bedding (but not bed)
* Hoping for Verizon cell service and data service for my smart phone.
* Maximum range of sort of 1,200 miles from Nogales (my logical port of entry)
* Hoping to go to Lake Chapala for its proximity (about 1,000 miles from Nogales)

Oh, it'll be just me, no women along. No pets of course. No guns. No dope. No liquor.

Help me out here. Tell me I can go. It would be really good news.

Let me know.

Regards,

Hi Go baja,

I don't know why you couldn't come.
It looks like you are buying into a lot of the media hype about Mexico, so let's fix that first.

First, the chances of getting killed or robbed with weapons are much higher in the U.S., does that mean it never happens in Mexico? No, it doesn't mean that, but in Mexico, it pretty much depends on where you visit. Currently, you would want to drive through Sonora in one shot because there have been problems in that area. Cross the border as early as possible, stay overnight in Hermosillo, stay in the hotel until morning. Why, because it is safer. You can sleep and eat at the hotel and not experience wandering those streets. Think of it as L.A. or most big cities at night. Jalisco has had recent issues also. The killings have been primarily gang-related and gang on gang territory issues. They pretty much leave the tourist alone.

Bribes have mostly not been a problem for me for the most part, but being a tourist and driving a U.S. car increases that possibility  The ways to deal with that would require another post because it would likely be extensive.
The car would require an import tax, which you would get back when you exit the country you can check that out online. Your car would not be a popular car to target. So that's good.

If you are on a short vacation, why would you take sheets and other household items?. Mexico has many decent hotels and they have sheets Check travel sites like booking, air B&B's and trip advisor to see what is out there.

The trip it's self would take at least 18 hours. and it should be done in stages. DO NOT drive at night.
Why ? well baches (potholes) and topes ( speed bumps) are everywhere, poor light, people walking in the street and other increased risks. Drive the toll roads, not the libre roads. You will get lost at least once, the best help would be taxis and gas stations. The locals mean well and want to help, but in asking 5 people you may get 5 different directions.

I would advise you to choose a different place to visit, Somewhere closer. Your time frame is short so spending several days traveling seems self-defeating.  Mazatlan or PV would be easier and closer.

Mexico is not all dusty primitive villages with no electricity or sheets. As for Verizon, you would have to talk to them about their coverage. I started with t-mobile and Sprint and it was not very successful so I have Telcel and it works well in both countries. You can get a pay as you go Telcel card.

Think carefully about your trip. Be aware your ideas about Mexico will be seen even if you don't say them. 

Ten un Buen Viaje