Corpus Christi in 2013

This year (2013), Corpus Christi falls on Thursday, May 30.  We are traveling to Ecuador for the first time, arriving on Friday, May 31.  When does the Corpus Christi 'hoopla' begin and end in Cuenca?  How many days does it last?  I'm trying to determine if it's worthwhile to rearrange our intinerary so that we can arrive in Cuenca on May 31 or June 1.

I was there for it last year, and I'm pretty sure it went on for well over a week, I think close to two weeks. I think the big firework towers go for like 7 days. But other aspects continue. I'm arriving this year for re location on June 2, and I arranged my trip to be involved again this year.
I had heard that they were going to not allow the sky lanterns after the fire they had at the Seminary last year, but I believe they are going to continue the practice.
Maybe I'll see ya there!!
Enjoy your trip.
Neil

There are a lot of different fiestas in Cuenca.  Corpus Christi is part religious and part secular.  Actually I think it is a good time to come and see all the things that are going on.  The celebrations are held in the historic center.  It really won't inconvenience you from getting around.

Quito0809 -- Could you confirm that the Corpus Christi festivities begin on the day (Thursday, May 30 in 2013) and go on for at least a week? 

Found a flight that gets us into Guayaquil on Friday night, May 31, so we could stay overnight near the airport and then take the bus or private van to Cuenca on Saturday morning, arriving on June 1.

let me try