Calling an Ecuadorian cellular phone from USA?

Hi.  I want to give someone who is in the USA the cell phone number of an Ecuadorian climbing guide.  I know the guide's number, but I think if I gave the person in the USA the 09******** number which I use in country, it won't work.

How would someone call an Ecuadorian cell phone from outside of Ecuador? What's the format? Is it even possible? Thanks for the help.

Have you tried this approach mentioned in this now-defunct thread?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 715#876574

Thanks. No I have not, but I knew there was a 593 in there somewhere.   Any clue if this format is still valid?

Not sure but less us know if works.

Some months I had saved the following online note for calling a land line in Ecuador using my Skype account, which is based in the U.S.

Calling land line in Ecuador
The phone system is very simple in Ecuador. Just follow these simple directions, and you'll have no problems when calling from within the country.

1) Ignore the country code of 593

2) Dial the one-digit area code. Each region has a different code. A “0″ must be dialed before the one digit area code:

Ambato: 3
        Cayambe: 2How To Make a Phone Call From Within Ecuador
        Cuenca: 7
        Esmeraldas: 6
        Guayaquil: 4
        Ibarra: 6
        Loja: 7
        Machachi: 2
        Machala: 7
        Manta: 5
        Portoviejo: 5
        Quevedo: 5
        Quito: 2
        Salinas: 4
        Santo Domingo: 2
        Tulcan: 6

3) Then dial the seven digit number (XXXX-XXX). Thats it – you are connected.

Update:

Actually, that is for calling within the country so I must have used it for something else.

to call a cell phone in Ecuador you drop the 0.
dialing format for calls to a cell phone: 011 + 593 + 9? ??? ????

bro get your self an iphone or some high level
smart phone and you down load magic jack on youre
phone and you would have an existing
U.S number so they can call u and you can call
and you can call them without them buying phone
card and you not waisting youre minutes from
youre cell phone from ecuador i have been doing
it since 2007 and its great hope it helps

magic Jack says only able to call north America US n Canada
how do u get it to work n Ecuador?

Thanks Amy, exactly what I was looking for.      Good advice Al.  You want to be the first to donate to my iPhone cause? I accept Paypal or cash.

I am basicaly low tech. My cell is what I talk on. I gather I can buy a Sim card from Claro and install it in my phone.  What I need is info on how to call back to Canada, give them the number so they can call me. Do I need the country codes, area codes, etc. Do you need to sign a contract with Claro or is there a better way.  Thanks for any help.   Bryan

Hey Bryan

Just in case (you probably already know this but) some of Telus' phones don't have a sim card, so if you are with them you might want to double check that your phone does actually have a sim card.
Hans

Thanks Hans. I have a cheap Nokia and I was there when they installed the Sim card.  I don't know if all Sim's are created equal so will take the chance when I get there. If not will buy a cheap Claro phone.  Bryan

Can you tell me how to call a cell phone in Quito from the US. I know the prefex id 0115939 but how many numbers follow these. The numb er I received shows the above prefex and is followed by 8 more letters...Please advise
Bennett

Bcamp1939 wrote:

Can you tell me how to call a cell phone in Quito from the US.

011 593 plus cell phone number

Source: howtocallabroad.com  ...  for clarification, example(s) and how to call a landline in Ecuador, visit this same website.

It's possible.

I did it a few times 6 months ago.

I used the instructions on this site:
http://www.howtocallabroad.com/ecuador/

You can add as little as $2 credit at keepcalling.com which is better than other sites that have higher minimums, but I think calling cell phones in EC is expensive like around 20 cent/ min (double check), so you might run out fast

Yes you can call from usa,, to a house or a cell number,, for example you call a house,,0115934 2400 947
If you call a cell,,, 0115939 985 200 718,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 0115938 964 454 342,,,,,,the 0115934 is the number for international calls to ecuador for houses,,,,,, & the other number 0115939 or 0115938,,for cells number depending on the cell number,,, example my number here at ecuador is 098 520 0718,,then you dial 0115939 985200718 you elimite the (0)if the carrier is diferent dial 0115938 then the persons number without (0) or the easiest way,,bye a $5 calling card call at the grocery store call STI calling card, if you live in ny cal that local number when they tell you to enter the number you call just enter the persons number directly,, you got 30 min to talk

10 numbers just like usa,,, thecdiference is that you eliminate the (0) example 011593 985200718 cause my number is 098 520 0718 just kill the 0 or buy a sti calling card at the grocery scrach it, all your city local number and call directly you have 30 min to talk i did that for years believe me

Dowload the app from playstore have them in usa buy a magic jack activate it and tell them to give you the acct when you dowload the app enter the same info and call any number in usa