SAFRON

do thai people or any expates like Saffron??
how much is the price of saffron in thailand?
any one interested?

Hi amirparthianshot,

As someone who cooks international cuisine as a hobby I can tell you that REAL Saffron is without a doubt the most expensive spice in the world. It is made from the stamens of the Saffron Crocus flower, which does not occur in the wild, it is only cultivated. Principal producers are Greece and some Asian countries and even there it is quite expensive.

It has a bitter taste which takes some getting used to. Because of its high price most people choose to use other 'saffron imitation' spices which cost considerably less and produce almost the same flavor. I guess that I'm lucky since I now live in Brazil and we have a local spice called "Saffron de Terra" which is really quite good and quite inexpensive. I doubt that I would pay the extremely high price for real Saffron for personal cooking purposes.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

dear William
the saffron is mainly from Iran .but most of spanish companies buy it from iran and pack it themselves so most of people think its from spain or some other countries. we different types of it,used in coocking with rice or kababs and some types are used in drinks.i was thinking about importing some saffron to thailand

Saffron was my idea of business. With cheap labor cost in nepal i was hoping to grow, but without the knowledge of any international market i kept this proposal a side. If somebody wants to invest in a farm for saffron id be more than happy.

Regards
Sabin

Here's a way to profitably grow saffron using greenhouses - https://youtu.be/YH5yyBFVcc0