Looking volunteer work in rio de janeiro or other cities in brazil

Hello, irish guy here who is considering coming out to brazil for some volunteer work in 2013/14 and also to learn the language. I work in construction and boat building but wanting to take some time out for a few months or maybe 1 years to help people in need in brazil. I honestly dont know where to start looking or even if brazil is looking volunteers but i thought id join here and see if theres anything going.

Hello irishguy1888.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You could post an advert in the Jobs in Rio de Janeiro section - Social category (Volunteering). It may help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

i will do this now, thank you. Im sitting here wondering how much money ill need weekly to survive in brazil. Have you any idea's of what a single guy would need weekly there.

Hello irishguy1888.

I don't but you should browse the other threads on the Rio de Janeiro. It could help. :)

If you have specific questions, do not hesitate to ask them.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,
i decided to immigrate to Brazil and i want to know the price of home or an apartment in Rio de janeiro.and please help me how can i find a good job in Rio?.
i am 22 years old and i studied computer engineering(hard ware)
i know English and i am learning Germany too.
i would be happy if so answers me.

Hi Irishguy, I came from Ireland on a volunteer project my first trip too so hopefully can help! There is a group called IKO Poran who work with a number of local community projects you could check out as a place to start;  facebook.com/groups/ikoporan/members/
They sometimes run projects to build new houses for favela communities in the city which might be of interest given your background. Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try help!

Irishguy, there's this volunteer project (wwoof Brazil) that involves working on organic farms (wwoof stands for "willing workers on organic farms"). I know two South African girls that spent a month on a reforestation project in the mountains not far from where I live and they loved it.
Cheers

Hi Irishguy 1888,

For an austerity, bare bones budget a single person is going to need at least R$2000 (US $1000) per month, just to survive. Obviously the more than that you have then the better your situation will be.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi elahe,

For foreigners, finding a job in Brazil is by no means easy because the law requires employers to prove that they have exhausted all efforts to fill a job vacancy with a Brazilian citizen, only then can they hire a foreigner. I would strongly advise anyone NOT to come to Brazil on speculation of finding work. It would be far better to contact companies in your home country which have operations in Brazil and find out if they can offer you any assistance with job placement here. It is a bit easier for those in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields to find employment, but again probably much easier to do so through home country companies that have operations here.

No matter what anyone might tell you, fluency in Portuguese is absolutely essential in order to work in Brazil. Even though English is the so-called "universal" language of commerce you will find that it is NOT widely spoken here. Outside of the workplace you would be very hard pressed to get through day-to-day living situations without Portuguese. The average Brazilian speaks two kinds of English - LITTLE and NONE.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hello,

You still have interest in coming to Brazil?