Jobs in Rio for english speakers

Hey

My name is Gys, I'm a south-african curently living in Rio de Janeiro. Married to a Brazilian.

I've been living in Rio for the last 8 months, working at a local pub! I have great experience in banking and admin. I can work with anything in line of customer services. But I'm really strugeling to vind a work other than a bartender!

What can I do ? Where can I go ?

I speak English, Afrikaans,Flemish, dutch and busy studying Portugues

Hello Gys,

You mentioned that you are married to a Brazilian. Have you already applied for your Permanent Visa or do you already have one?

You need to be a permanent resident in order to obtain your Work Permit (Carteira de Trabalho) and also CPF and RNE to get work in the "formal" job market. Failing this you are limited to only those jobs that you can get "informally" and working under-the-table sucks.

The only thing you can do is to get your permanent status as quickly as possible, arrange all the other documentation necessary and learn as much Portuguese as you possibly can. Then, when you do enter the workforce you will have some skills to offer that will enable you to find decent work.

Good luck and welcome to Brazil.

Regards,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animater

Thank you for youre quick reply

I've already retained my CPF and I've just received my working book. I studing at PUC university, portuguese only.

I was in a technical school in south africa wich I studied civil engineering.

At this moment I'm just looking for anything just to start. But dont know where to begin ?

Hi Gys,

It looks then that you are off to a good start. The next step, if you have an up-to-date CV is to have it accurately translated into Portuguese and if possible get the person doing the translation to type up a rather generic cover letter to accompany it. Once that is done make as many copies as you will need and start dropping your CV off at any company that might interest you.

Like just about everywhere else nowadays, you need not look for existing vacancies since most people submit their CV's speculatively and hope that a company will be interested enough to keep it on file, contacting them if something comes available later. Just make sure to check back with any company every few months to make sure they still have your CV on file.

Regards,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator

Hi Gys

If you speak English I know a school in Centro that's looking for English speakers to teach.

The name of the school is Metropolis.  Call this # 92841847 or just go there.  The woman you need to speak to is Claudia, she is very helpful and the school is very dedicated to their teachers.  I've been teaching there for about 4 months now.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Do you know if I can get a teachin English job in Rio?

I have experience teaching in Goiania but am in Rio.

Hi IamAvi,

Welcome to the forum.

This is an old thread. I suggest you drop an advert in the Jobs in Rio de Janeiro.

All the best,
Bhavna