Hi Im Joe

Hello, my name is Joseph Simpson. I am a 24year old engineer in the UK looking for any kind of work in Rio. I have plenty of experience in restaurant work (cooking mostly), metal fabrication and military aerospace engineering (electrical and mechanical). I am looking for a change of scenery and wondered if you know anyone who would have any work for me starting from January 2013? Thank you for your time,
   Regards, Joseph ([email protected])

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Joseph !

Your post has been moved to the Rio de Janeiro forum.
Please note that there is a jobs section. You might post an advert there ;)

Good luck
Armand

Hello,
My name is Garba otefon,i a nigerian,i will be coming to Rio de janeiro to study.
Please,can a foreign students study and work in Rio de janeiro?
You response will be of great help.
Best regards.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Expat-blog.

If you already haven't done so you should read all of my topics at the beginning of the first forum page. They will give you almost all the information you will need to know about life and living in Brazil.

Also, since you're an engineer, you will want to read another one of my postings (link below) about revalidation of foreign diplomas. With the World Cup scheduled for 2014 and the 2016 Olympic games coming on it will be a really good time for qualified engineers in Rio so you will really want to have your degree recognized here.

Good luck, keep tuned into the forum and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

One big thing, despite the fact that English is the international language of commerce, it is absolutely necessary that you speak the local language (Portuguese) at a decent level of fluency in order to get by and work. I would recommend that you get into a course as soon as possible.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hi Garba,

Without a work permit (Carteir de Trabalho) you are not allowed to work in Brazil. They are issued only to permanent residents or to foreigners who come to Brazil on a temporary work visa (arranged through a Brazilian employer).

Having said that, it is quite possible to work in some informal occupation without any kind of documentation, however these generally will not pay very well. You will need to be able to speak at least some Portuguese.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog