Please help with teaching, working and living temporarily in Rio?

Hi all,

I'm looking to move to Rio from January 2013 - end of May 2013 armed with a CELTA qualification, my English literature degree, and experience of teaching in schools with the aim to teach English in Rio. I understand that it will be difficult to get a work visa, and that I can expect to work in schools only on a tourist visa. I'm not looking to earn a lot of money - only enough to survive in a rented apartment in a safe, but exciting area.

Does any one know if it's best to find the teaching work once there, or is it possible to be accepted before I arrive?
How much can I expect to be paid and how far could that money go in Rio when living on a budget?
How easy is it to get a bar job or some other temporary work?
How do people go about finding apartments?

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Hi,

Finding a teaching job, even on a tourist visa will be the least of your problems. You will probably get hired at the first school you go into looking for work, documents or not. The pay will be low and depending on the number of hours you get you may want to work at a couple of schools. In company classes will usually pay a bit better than classes in the school if you can get into that.

Since one needs to have a permanent visa in order to open a bank account you will need to ask to be paid in cash or you will have to cash your paycheck at a branch of the bank it is drawn on.

Flat shares can be difficult to find, so good luck on that score. If you haven't already done so you should read my posts (marked with yellow boxes) at the top of the first page of the Brazil Forum, they will give you most of the information you will need about living in Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thank you for the advice! How possible is it to get jobs in hostels as an English speaker with little Portugese? I will be teaching English, but my boyfriend will be looking for any other type of work. Will this be easy to find?

Thank you!

Hi,

For you, finding a teaching position should be a snap. For your boyfriend finding any kind of work (especially in the hospitality industry) without being at least conversational in Portuguese would be almost impossible. Hostels are extremely rare here in Brazil.

If he is a native English speaker it would probably be more likely that he too could get work teaching. The private language schools here will hire native speakers even if they have no previous teaching experience and have not got any kind of English certification.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Brilliant, thank you. Really looking forward to it!