Canadian moving to Rio

Hi all,
My name is Tina and I was in Rio this past summer. I loved it there and want to move there.
I know little Portuguese, so I'm not sure what kind of jobs I will be able to get. (I want to become fluent in the language)
Anyone who are young professional and moved to Rio, were you able to find decent employment? I am currently work in the Financial sector and would like to continue to work in that sector.

Thanks,
Tina

Hello Tina and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon find a solution to this issue.

Wishing you all the best,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Tina,

Your ambition to bemcome fluent in Portuguese will help you greatly here both in professional and in personal terms. I would highly recommend that you find a language school in your city that teaches  Portuguese, if they have a Brazilian native as a teacher it would be even more beneficial. Do so as soon as possible since the more fluent you are on arrival the more enjoyable things will be for you and the transition will be much simpler.

If you have any problems finding a school in you city you may try getting in contact with a Brazilian or Portuguese Social Club in town and they may give you some leads. The reason I recommend a native teacher is that you will therefore be able to learn firsthand about the culture and day-to-day life as well as acquiring the language.

One secret I will pass along, learn the names of as many foods and other products you will be buying in the supermarket as possible. Generally you will not find schools that teach this extensively. You need to learn to survive with a foreign language not just speak it. If you have any problems in this area I have pages and pages of translations of foodstuffs and other products that will get you on the right track. Don't want to think of one of my fellow Canucks starving to death down here!

Regards,
James