What is the Image of Budapest or Hungary among your people?

As a Budapest born local having spent most of my life abroad, I wonder...

...what is the perception of Budapest and Hungary among 'your people' ? Far away places are naturally more interesting since there is less 'data' to taint the picture:-)

I think one should be mostly interested what the image of Budapest and Hungary is among the 'uninitiated' - i.e. those people (by far the majority) who haven't been involved with the city or country (e.g. by having a hungarian job parent/girl/boyfriend or being a number theorist in eternal love with Paul Erdős :p)

So, in your city/area/age group/social group:

... do most people know the name and place it in the right country, even associate with it a 'grand city', pulsating with life, being the birthplace of John von Neumann, Ferenc Liszt, and CEU F(o)under George Soros? And of Sziget Fesztivál. A place to spend the summer. A weird language nobody can learn. A fairly developed society, still somewhat more conservative and prone to right-wing populism than the west of europe.

...or, to the contrary, even if people can associate anything with this name, all they can recall is some sort of place in wild, ex-communist bloc europe, towards the Ural, probably a different spelling for București, with a native population speaking 'probably some sort of russian', beating up any male wearing any colour other than black or brown publicly? ;-p

Of course there is more than one answer even within the same society, so I would be really interested to hear different personal answers.
You can even say, why and how the popular image in your specified location is mistaken (too negative of too favourable), since you know everything better already  :-)

fireroller wrote:

...what is the perception of Budapest and Hungary among 'your people' ? Far away places are naturally more interesting since there is less 'data' to taint the picture:-)..

I've just come back from Kiev. It looks a lot better here than there. Not my people in Kiev, but really, you can see the difference between these places. It looks like Hungary 15+ years ago.