Learning Hungarian in Transylvania

My goal is to spend several months in Europe during 2014.  But because of Schengen regulations, I can only spend 90 days in Hungary.  I am thinking of travelling to the Hungarian-speaking area of Romania, perhaps Targu Mures, getting a sublet for a couple of months and finding people to speak Hungarian with, possibly exchanging my knowledge of English (I taught in Hungary for a while) and German (earlier stint as a college professor in the US) for help with Hungarian.  Then, with a couple of months of Hungarian immersion under my belt, I will go to Hungary where I have acquaintances and friends.

I have a rudimentary knowledge of Hungarian, have no Romanian (but know French and Spanish).

I would appreciate any suggestions, encouragements or warnings.

Szia,

Instead of Targu Mures, which is partially Hungarian and partially Romanian, you could try living in a smaller town such as Odorheiu Secuiesc or Targu Secuiesc. They are both more or less completely Hungarian and the experience might be more immersive that way.

Helpful suggestions from Maykal.  Does anyone suppose that I would be able to rent a private room from a family while I am there?  I suppose I could just show up in town and look around, but maybe there is a way of getting information beforehand.

Hi kalogrenant,

Usually in a local newspaper you will find some relevant ads.
You should try to find on google the local Hungarian language online newspapers for Sfantu Gheorghe(Sepsiszentgyörgy in Hungarian) or Targu Secuiesc (Kézdivásárhely).