15% Tax Rate Explanation

Hi guys!

I'm new here and found a lot of good threads from this forum while searching for different things online, so figured I would join so I could partake in this very nice community better.

I'm currently living in Spain but I'm considering moving to Malta mainly due to tax reasons (especially after the new tax increases here).

Can someone please explain to me the criterias to be allowed to have a flat 15% tax rate? I'm a EU citizen and currently have my own business online and all income would come from countries outside of Malta. I also read something about no tax if you don't take the money into Malta. Is that true? If so, let's say you wanted to buy a place in Malta and use some of the "non taxed money" to make this purchase, would this be ok?

I've read a few different things on this subject so not sure what really applies and what doesn't. Hopefully, someone here can help.

Thanks in advance!

Dom

If you want the 15% flat tax, you also have to be part of the HNWI tax scheme, which imposes a very high minimum tax bill as well as other constraints

" let's say you wanted to buy a place in Malta and use some of the "non taxed money" to make this purchase, would this be ok?" generally, yes

Hi Dom,

welcome to the forum.

If you don't bring money into Malta it would be difficult explaining what you live off in Malta if you are a resident.

If you are not a tax resident of Malta you will be a tax resident of somewhere else .....Spain or whatever., so it will be difficult to have non-taxed money in these times.

You should check out the details of the HNWI tax scheme as to whether they are really worth it for an EU citizen. The scheme is directed at wealthy non-EU citizens. You can read the details here:

http://www.ird.gov.mt/regulations/hnwi.aspx

Cheers
Ricky

there were changes to the HNWI scheme announced today, but only for EU retirees, so presumably not applicable in this case

"If you are not a tax resident of Malta you will be a tax resident of somewhere else .....Spain or whatever"

and even if you are tax resident here, it doesn't mean you aren't still tax resident elsewhere

Thanks a lot guys! Very helpful info here.