Cost of living in Riyadh

Hello Friends,

My name is Navin & I am from India, recently i v got an offer for a store manager in Riyadh for a monthly salary of 5500 SR without accommadation. In ur opinion is this amount good enough for a 23 year old Bachelor & with an average expenses how much can I save. also how much would be the rent for a studio apartment. It would be a great help if you could help me with above issues.

Warm Regards
Navin Tiwari

(Sorry for lurking but I can't help you with your question.  For some reason, when I read about salaries in KSA, it is always said that Indians can live more cheaply than Westerners.  I really don't know why other than maybe Indians have a more established community and can live like the locals?)

Hi Navin - as a bachelor from the sub-continent you will easily find a 1 or 2 bedroom flat for around SAR1000 a month or less - maybe a lot less. Cost of basic food is low if you cook yourself, say SAR250 a week. Allow SAR1000 a month for other costs (transport, utlities etc) and so you could be saving around SAR3000 a month, if you live simply and frugally.

Alliecat wrote:

(Sorry for lurking but I can't help you with your question.  For some reason, when I read about salaries in KSA, it is always said that Indians can live more cheaply than Westerners.  I really don't know why other than maybe Indians have a more established community and can live like the locals?)

Hi Alliecat

I appreciate ur effort to reply to my topic but considering the fact that there are very limited things to do in Riyadh how much do think a westerner bachelor would spend monthly.

Warm Regards
Navin

Cap,

Henryd seems knowledgeable in this area--I'm not.

As for nothing to do, true enough :)  But it seems when there are things to do, they are expensive.  For example, the embassies have functions.  If you can 'network' your way into being invited, they do cost you a few bucks.

Another thing westerners like to do is make the trip to Bahrain periodically to unwind.  Again, costs a few bucks.

People seem to do a lot of shopping out of boredom.  Again, a few bucks!

Do you see what I'm saying???  Of course, you don't have to do any of these things--live frugally, as Henryd says.  It all depends on how much diversion you need to survive.

Comments?

5.5K per month for a 23 year old guy seems reasonable if you do choose to live very carefully and frugally. Cooking will certainly save you lots of bucks. Many Indian restaurtants in gtown also offer monthly mealackages for a very paltry sum and the food is truly delicious. Malaz Resurant is one of the more famous eating houses which caters to most Indian palettes.

No doubt single housing will cost at least 10K per annum and maybe even less if you choose to move away from the city. However, that pops up the transportation dilemma since the local public tranbsport system is absolutely putrid and taxis are too expensive for daily commuting.

Of course you can buy a small vehicle for a reasonable monthly instalment within your 5.5K budget, too.

I would feel more comfy with at least 7.5ZK though.

Thanks Musicman for your advise, now considering that the transportation is really expensive, how much a small second hand vehicle would cost and what are all the formalities to obtain the licence in KSA? is my Indian driving licence gonna help thr....?

A small Toyota 1300-1500cc sedan would cost approx SR 700-1,000 per month paid over 60 months, on the monthly instalment packages that are on offer by the car sales people around Riyadh

Second hand cars of the same make and model types would probably cost around SR 15K based on the year of manufacture and km reading. The used car sales place is a hectic fish market type atmosphere where you get swarmed by thes ellers like bees around a hive. You have to go there with an Arab speaker or else you can get torn to smithereens by those car sale vultures there.

You will still have to appear for a driving test at the driving school in Riyadh after obtaining your Resident Permit (Iqama) which should not be too mush of a hassle for someone who has been driving back home. What you will need to watch out for is the Left Hand Drive and driving on the Right side of the Street as opposed to the driving rules back in South Asia where its all Right hand Drive and Keep Left. Reverse parking between two closely placed barrels is anopther test you have to pass without hitting the barrels opr the curb.

You have to put up with a little bit of brashness by the driving instructers and testing folks. They can be very abrasvive but remember to keep your cool and smile and pretend to be a hermit lost in the desert looking for his way around. They are still human beings, too.

Good Luck. God Bless. Enjoy the Sands...

thanks allot Musicman, it was a very informative quote...

yr welcome mate. just keep those inquiries rolling in andf we will share everything we have learned through some good times and also some difficult ones. Its a long and winding road .... in the desert sands. hv a gr8 day!

Dear Sir"
  I Have been offerd 8000 Riyals for the post of channel account manager,i am planning 2 move to Riyadh,can u tell me mine expences such as food,accomodation,travelling in market and phone cost

Ive got these figures from some of the non-western people I am working with:

For single person

Accomodation average (not living in a compound) - 1 bed apartment - 10K to 12K on average, you can find cheaper

Food - 350 riyals per month

Internet - 250 riyals per month

Phone - call costs 50 riyals per month (bring a unlocked phone with you - its cheaper than buying from Saudi)

Elec/Gas - 250 riyals per month

Transport - 250 riyals per month

Other expenses - 100 riyals per month

I would put it a bit higher between SR 2,500 to SR 3,000 per month all inclusive if you are on single status.

Rent      = SR 1,250 per month
Food      = SR   800 per month
Transport = SR   500 per month
Mobile    = SR   100 per month
Other     = SR   250 per month
TOTAL     = SR 2,900 per month

Hi,
I have been reading dialogues with good interest. I am also considering to relocate to Riyadh with My wife. If I have to calculate general cost of living for 2 people, how would that be??
I am planning to rent 1 bed, 1 hall, kitchen apartment in one of the good western compounds.
Would be buying a car (1.6 ltr engine)

kblsmahan wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to rent 1 bed, 1 hall, kitchen apartment in one of the good western compounds.
Would be buying a car (1.6 ltr engine)

Good is a very Relative term for Western compound, the rental prices wud range from 60K to 150K/annum.

However as a thumb rule and a normal INDIAN life style, you wud incur an expense of around 2500K/month and in addition to that around 2500K/month for the housing, but surely off Compound.

GooD Luck!!:)

Also keep on reading the EB Threads, you might get your specific answers....

musicman wrote:

I would put it a bit higher between SR 2,500 to SR 3,000 per month all inclusive if you are on single status.

Rent      = SR 1,250 per month
Food      = SR   800 per month
Transport = SR   500 per month
Mobile    = SR   100 per month
Other     = SR   250 per month
TOTAL     = SR 2,900 per month

Can you pls give me the latest figures living in Riyadh.

Alliecat wrote:

I think Asians have much more peer/family pressure back home than westerners do. They need to be seen to be successful in their own family/community not abroad. This is less the case with Westerners. They have less attachment to their home and family and certainly less peer pressure.

Therefore asians prefer to live in inferior accommodation and spend proportionately less while working in order to be seen to spend more back home.

Asians also have the pressure of supporting extended families back home which rarely exists in western culture, therefore they are forced to reduce their expenditure.

(Other opinions are available).

i'v got to knw many valuable events from the above statements b4 i step in riyadh from lanka....nysss....:)

caprirock wrote:

Hello Friends,

My name is Navin & I am from India, recently i v got an offer for a store manager in Riyadh for a monthly salary of 5500 SR without accommadation. In ur opinion is this amount good enough for a 23 year old Bachelor & with an average expenses how much can I save. also how much would be the rent for a studio apartment. It would be a great help if you could help me with above issues.

Warm Regards
Navin Tiwari

Dear Mr.Navin,

Gud mrng.  I am too planning to enter there in mid December this year.  One of my friend assured me to take there for job in a Showroom. Presently I am working as an Asstt. Executive and I assist my Directors & Seniors in my office. Is 1500SAR is sufficient for me excluding Foods, Staying, etc. there? I am married and blessed with two daughters, they will stay in India. Kindly guide me properly.

Have a nice day.

Hello Frnds,

I have recently got an offer from riyadh (AL HOSANI GROUP OF COMPANIES) they have offered me 2000SAR + 300 FOOD (Acc will be provided by company)

I want to know atleast what amount can i send to my Home.

Could anyone suggest me & is the 300 for Food is ok.

regards,
Sharath Pillai.

I think out of 2300 SAR, you will spend 500-800 SAR for food and may be 1250 for accomodation. Total you might spend about 1700-1800 SAR depending on your lifestyle.

Here is my take for a small family for anyone who would like to know.I think it really depends on how you choose to spend your money. For a family you can find a decent apartment for $24,000 riyal per year. Keep in mind most apartments require 6 months rent up front. Some of my colleagues have nice apartments, furnished with flat screen tv's and free internet for $3000 riyal per month. They have a monthly rate too, so they don't have a lease it is month to month. These kinds of situations are more rare though. When looking for an apartment make sure there are no water issues, you may want to ask the neighbors. In my area, which is a nice neighborhood, entire buildings may be out of water for a few days. This is not fun. Do a wikipedia search of, "Riyadh water problem". The website that has the best classifieds for gauging price ranges on apartments, furniture and second hand cars/furniture is here.

You can get house help for $500 riyal per month. I know of a lady who has a man come clean her house. The doorman at the apartment building will clean your car every day for $100 riyal. Childcare ranges from $500-$2100 per month. A Philipino housemaid runs $2100 and babysitter at their home is $500-$900. Daycare $1000 riyal per month. These rates are much more reasonable than the USA.

The cost of food in Riyadh is very reasonable, restaurant and groceries. The cheapest for food out of the four countries that I have lived in. Great place to save. It is a good idea to live near your work because commuting and traffic can be horrendous.
http://www.sarahali.us/uploads/3/1/1/6/3116388/126805.jpg
For tips on culture or teaching in the middle east take a look at my website.

Dear Frnds,

As i have selected for accountant but my agency is saying that they cannot provide me the Visa with Accounts Profession as it will take time, so they are giving another profession but the job will be of Accounts. Is it true i want to know that.

And anyone knows about AL Hosani Group of Companies. Can anyone say how good they are.

Sharath Pillai wrote:

As i have selected for accountant but my agency is saying that they cannot provide me the Visa with Accounts Profession as it will take time, so they are giving another profession but the job will be of Accounts. Is it true i want to know that.

Unfortunately Yes, that can be true !!

MD's can have office junior work permits.

Vice President is having Janitor's Visa !! :lol::lol: And becoz of that hes not eligible for Mutlitple exit/entry visa too....

Hi,

Recently got an offer of 10k SR with accomodation/transport/medical taken care by the company. Am an engineer with 6 years of experience. Is it a decent package to live in riyadh

would appreciate any information in this regard.

thanks