Cost of Living In KL

Hii

This is Kumar here from India.

I am Mech Engg with approximately 9 yrs experience. Recently I got a job offer from a company in KL.

I will be staying with my wife..no kids.

My office in situated close to  Jalan Tun Razak approximately 3.3 KM (as obtained from google map) form LRT Maluri Station.

Can anybody suggest me a location from where it will be easy for me to travel to work. I am looking for a  Studio or 1BR+ hall+kitchen appartment in a Condonium. My  budget is approx 1500 RM. Please also suggest if this budget is OK or not.

Thanks

Kumar

Hello Kumar.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For the accommodation, you can post an advert in the Housing in Kuala Lumpur section. It could help.

You can go through the other threads on Cost of living on the  Kuala Lumpur forum as well.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Dear Friends,

Finally its time to make the move.

I am desperately looking for some help.

Please give me some idea of cost for

1. Housing accomodation near Jalan Tun Razak. Primarily I was looking at areas like Ampang, Cheras, Maluri etc..within a radius of 5-10 km (please suggest)1BR+Hall+Kitchen+Bathroom or Studio (please suggest) in some appartment.

2. Day to day cost like , travelling, fooding, bills..etc. We are a family of two, myself and wife.

Cheers

Kumar

Hello Kumar. Unfortunately Maluri is not easily reachable during peak hours.

Here is my advise:
1) If you are driving, avoid city. You best bet is bandar tun razak area.
2) You may find at nice house with 2/3 bedrooms nearby.
3) You salary is within the average of experienced engineer. So, it should be good enough. If you not really into branded thingy.. then you can save more than half of your salary.
4) Observe how indian people dress try to dress as much as local indian wear. And try to avoid excessive look of 'rich' ppl.

Hii Bornd,

Many thanks for your response. I have got the idea, and I am comfortable with it. I believe in simple living style, not much of a 'big brand' fan. So I think things should be fine for me.

But I have few more queries if you or anyone else could help meout with it:-

1. Cars:- Understand it is not easy for an expat to get a loan for cars. Ideally I would prefer a new one. But if I could not get a loan I might have to settle with a used one for sometime atleast. Give me some idea as to how much must be the budget for  decent small car.

2. Bandar Tun Razak looks a little bit far away, though I agree it should be fine with a car. But for initial few months till I could arrange for my Malayasian DL & Car I need to stay as close as possible to office. I can do with a 1/2 BR or Studio in a condo. Please suggest if you have any idea regarding accomodation near Jalan Tun Razak close to (within radius of 5 KM)Wisma Time/The Forum..etc

3. Also please advise me regarding the Taxi fares.

Many thanks to all

Cheers.

Kumar

Hello Kumar,

1) Car: I myself an expat worked in Malaysia. Yes, it is not easy to get a loan for foreigner. You will need a local guarantor for this. And with no credit records from you in Malaysia, it should drag a bit. You may want to ask you company if they have a scheme that for car loan (deduction from salary). Normally MNC have this scheme.
2) The idea of staying in Bandar Tun Razak is to avoid traffic. Please let me know you company name so that I can suggest something.
3) There is no fix price of taxi here (although it is metered :P)
So, it is depend on your initial negotiation.

hi Kumar,

Try Propertyguru dot com dot my. You can find properties for rent of your liking close by where you want to live. Also for buying used car you can try Mudah dot my. just google it.
It will be difficult to find accommodation with the budget you have specified; however, you might find something near Desa Pandan for about 2000rm. Good luck.....
Good luck and by the way what company are you planning to join?

Dear 'fmg', 'bornd' and all other contributors,

While going through popular sites like mudah, property guru I can across few properties that is in my range.

The below tables indicate the name & address of property, rent, distance from office & size.

All properties are fully furnished with car park.

1.Pertama Residency, Jalan Cheras--4KM--1700RM--610sqft

2.Prima Midah Heights Jalan Midah 8 Taman Midah--7km-1600rm-1461sqft

3.Maytower Hotel & Serviced Apartment Jalan Munshi Abdullah-3.6KM--1600RM-493sqft

4.Villa Seri Puteri Apartment Taman Pertama--5.2KM--1700RM--1200sqft

5.Angkasa Impian 2 Condominium Tengkat Tong Shin Bukit Bintang--2.3KM-1800RM--700 sqft

6.One Ampang Avenue Jalan Ampang Utama 1/1 Taman Ampang Utama    --6KM-1800RM-1256sqft

7.Casa Mutiara Service Apartment Bukit Bintang--4KM--1800RM--550sqft

8.Prisma Perdana Condominium Taman Midah--6.8KM-1400RM--817 sqft

Considering the fact that we are only two myself & wife. Which one among the above property  would you suggest.

My range is between 1500-1800. Please suggest any other property that you all may consider better.

Cheers

Kumar

These place should be consider high class apartment.

I cannot suggest anything as everyone have their own preference.
You might want to come a view yourself before decide. :)

ok. thanks to all for the help...actually im so scared to do this change...i dont know what to do. i will keep on accepting suggestions. bye

Hii

Can anybody give me an idea as to which places can be considered as out of city area (away from traffic jam) and still convinient for regular to and fro travelling from office and home.

Office is close to Wisma Technip Building, on Jalan Tun Razak.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Kumar

Out of traffic jam?

Try Africa.

KL is one big jam until Singapore!

ive been to morocco, nigeria, kenya and south africa. they r no better than kl. but traffic is the worst in the indian cities. and kl is a smooth drive if u wanna compare.