I thought I'd *lose* weight in KSA. Whale searching for a lap pool...

I've been here two months, and I've gained 8 lbs. despite giving up my favorite libations: Scotch and IPAs.  I blame it on shawarmas, fatteh, bread, and my Herman Miller Aeron chair.

My favorite exercise is swimming laps, but I'm finding it difficult to locate a large indoor pool.

I live and work east of Olaya, on Tahlia (or, "Prince Mohammad Ibn Abdulaziz Road," which is almost as unwieldy as "Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard").

The fitness center near me at the Localizer Mall has a pool, but it's tiny.

Finally, the point:  Any leads for an olympic-size, or large indoor pool available for lap-swimming?

Wow, I can identify. I've been here for 3 years and have gained 10 kg due to no exercise and comfort eating.  BLAH!

Good luck finding a pool!

Lol same here! 10 Kgs for 3 years hahaha! :D King Faisal Hospital has a pool olympic size.

Hi, there's a fitness chain called Fitness Time which have a lot of equipment, squash areas and of course a pool. I know it because there's one in Dammam and I think you may find the main branch in Riyadh. Check it out.

Surprisingly,I did lose waist and weight since I arrived and even had to buy some new clothes because of it.

When people are away from what they know and maybe homesick?  lonely?  it can manifest itself in different ways.  Some people stop eating.  Some people eat MORE.  Unfortunately, I was one of the later :lol:

juangcr wrote:

Hi, there's a fitness chain called Fitness Time which have a lot of equipment, squash areas and of course a pool. I know it because there's one in Dammam and I think you may find the main branch in Riyadh. Check it out.

Surprisingly,I did lose waist and weight since I arrived and even had to buy some new clothes because of it.

Fitness Time has 19-20 branches in Riyadh. I'm a member and the one close to home does have an Olympic sized pool snd a squash court.

BTW, which great lake?  I grew up in the windy city ;)

@Legend & Juangcr:  Thanks!  I'll check out Fitness Time this week.

Alliecat wrote:

@Alliecat: The Second City?  The City of Broad Shoulders?  Chi-town?  I grew up on the shore of Lake Huron in the Wolverine State, but I did live in Logan Square (Blue Line) for seven terrific years.  My office was on East Wacker.  Chicago is my kind of town!

Cheers!

Mabella26 wrote:

Lol same here! 10 Kgs for 3 years hahaha! :D King Faisal Hospital has a pool olympic size.

Thanks, Mabella26.  Do you know if it's available for non-patients and non-staff to use?  I'm willing to pay for access.  PS, Happy birthday!

GreatLaker wrote:

@Legend & Juangcr:  Thanks!  I'll check out Fitness Time this week.

Alliecat wrote:

@Alliecat: The Second City?  The City of Broad Shoulders?  Chi-town?  I grew up on the shore of Lake Huron in the Wolverine State, but I did live in Logan Square (Blue Line) for seven terrific years.  My office was on East Wacker.  Chicago is my kind of town!

Cheers!

I worked on E. Washington, just off Michigan.  Gotta get back there one of these days! :)

ive lost 4 lbs so far from kite flying haha

Freshlikesushi wrote:

ive lost 4 lbs so far from kite flying haha

:| take care @FLS... Losing a lot may be hazard fly-ous.

lol. i got bored of running!
saudi is a great place to loose weight. with all the heat you get the water weight out of your system quick, then go to the fun stuff.

last time i lost 18 lbs and kept it off in jeddah

I found one:  http://goo.gl/maps/smvS

Though a slightly ersatz substitute, it'll do fine for now.

Thanks again for all the info!

hahah i have gained like 6 KG so far , but im hitting they gym every single day . i dont know what im doing there but at least i have fun ,

Hitch wrote:

hahah i have gained like 6 KG so far , but im hitting they gym every single day . i dont know what im doing there but at least i have fun ,

Maybe the 6KG is muscle :)

nah , im not that hard worker :D

Try a protein diet. I've lost 20 kgs in 6 months without any exercise.

i will try thanks bud

i've been here for almost 2 years and i've have gained nothing....it's because of my good & healthy diet....

benchmarkzenith wrote:

i've been here for almost 2 years and i've have gained nothing....it's because of my good & healthy diet....

Well, aren't you special?

gashead wrote:

That's really an achievement:top: Share Pls ! 

BTW, I thot having exclusive protein diet without exercise would lead to high Uric acid and eventually gout!!!

Sharing my experience @Saimans:
I was on a transformation scheme 2 months back (a total quit from bad fats (basically fast food, cheese and butter) and increase in protein intakes + tough work-out). I lost 12kgs and got back to my form after 8 long yrs. The BMI got below 23.

Then I got out of that scheme (even stopped working out) but noticed that I was still losing weight. The reason I could understand was the change in eating habits. Prefering proteins over fats & carbs. It fills your stomach and doesn't add anything in the fat storages.

Protein intake works!!!

saimans wrote:
gashead wrote:

That's really an achievement:top: Share Pls ! 

BTW , I thot having exclusive protein diet without exercise would lead to high Uric acid and eventually gout!!!

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Sharing my experience @Saimans:
I was on a transformation scheme 2 months back (a total quit from bad fats (basically fast food, cheese and butter) and increase in protein intakes + tough work-out). I lost 12kgs and got back to my form after 8 long yrs. The BMI got below 23.

You mean you lost 12Kgs in 2 months.... Wohooooooo Thats great buddy. Pls PM me the diet schedule. At one time my BMI was 33 and I reduced it to 26 over a period of 4 years, but now it has again shoot to 28. Want to get back to the 26 and lower ASAP, problem is I have damaged my knee a bit during my long runs !!

I completely agree to reducing weight, eating habits are very very Imp. !! :)