Dream Comes True!

hello all,

I was planing for a while to travel to China, and finally i chose my destination which is not based on work or even friends, i only see that Dalian is the suitable place for me to live, however i didn't take the final decision yet, my budget is not ready yet, so while preparing for that i would like to know how much monthly expensive i should afford, i'm single, and i can have fun with the least of all.
and also, what's the renting rate there ? and is it possible to find a shared place with decent and trustworthy ppl ?
and what about jobs, is Dalian a place that i can find a job easily ?
and lately i'm trying to win sometime by learning chinese, so if any one like to practice with me on QQ or Skype, that gonna be great, i'm very beginner =)

Cheers

where are Chinese :D lol

Hello there, I have been in Dalian for little more than a month but it is not my first time here. I can give you a little bit of a heads up on what to expect.

If you are staying long term (over 3 months) it will probably be best if you look for an apartment or a hotel which gives discount rates for long term stays. I am currently living around Zhongshan Square for 10k rmb per month for a nice flat with a bedroom, small office space, separate living room, small kitchen, and a full sized bathroom with standing shower and tub and an automated bidet to boot. If this cost is out of your range, there are many listings you can find which range from around 1000-2000 rmb per month which offer from 1 room and shared community bathroom to a 2 bedroom shared living space +  bathroom. Granted Zhongshan square is one of the more expensive areas to live outside of the main Xinghai square area, I am certain you can find a place to stay to fit your budget regardless of how high or low it is.

If you are planning to just hang out you can probably allot around 50-100 rmb per day for food eating what the locals usually eat. Actually 100 rmb is already on the more expensive side. For extracurriculars, it fully depends on what you want to do and what you are interested in. However the one problem I find in Dalian is finding other foreigners around to do these activities with. I can tell you that a round of golf costs over 1k rmb and a basket of 100 driving range balls from Xinhai golf hotel costs slightly less than 100rmb. There are also public pools if swimming is your poison, but be warned, sometimes, the water in those pools looks almost like poison.

If you are looking for a job in Dalian, make sure you have all your Visas done correctly and that you are in fact able to work in China. The most obvious choice for most foreigners is teaching a foreign language, usually English because it allows for quick immersion into the Chinese culture and also, if you are young and handsome, could earn you points with the ladies. English teachers are in high demand all over China and more often than not, I hear stories of male laowai teachers striking up relationships with their female students. Whatever floats your boat!

Travelling within the city by bus is almost free compared to many western cities. Your daily bus fare will probably be no more than 20 rmb. If you prefer to taxi, you will probably be looking at a daily fare of less than 100 rmb.

Dalian is a very fun place. You just need to remember that you need people who you can communicate with in order to make it fun. If you are a foreigner plopped into unfamiliar territory with a language barrier, everything will seem like hell and everyday will be a drag. Do not forget to find people to meet up with before you move ahead with your day.

hi,maybe i could give you some advise,you add me QQ number 312400616 .

Hello pengmu, maybe you could share some advices on the forum so that other members can benefit from it? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie