Moving to Dalian with 4 children....!

Hi,
i have the opportunity to move to Dalian with my family in a year time.
We are french and have 4 children ( 3,5,8,10).
I do know nothing about this country, and heard lot of "bad" and " good" things about it.
It is described as a very polluted town, with "not friendly" people, and hard to live when you are french.
I know there is no french school there, but my main concern is the quality of life for a family, and if it worth to go there .
Thanks all for the advice and share your experience.
Fred

Hi
We have a lot of family's living in Dalian and would always welcome more

We have French, Swedish, German in fact people from all over the world, and the one common factor we all speak in English,
If you want to know the "bad" and " good" about Dalian  you can ask in out forum, read about the advantages over other city's in China, check out the best Bars Clubs and Restaurants in the Dalian Directory

We welcome you and your family to our website

WM

I live in Dalian with my 9 month old baby (and husband, too) and I think it's a good city for a family. I was actually surprised at how clean the city is (for a city, I find it pretty on par with NYC) and it is known throughout China as being the most clean, green city in the country. It's often ranked as one of the top livable cities in the country.

Since my baby is so small I can't say much about schools, but I know there is at least a Canadian school. My husband teaches at a really great kindergarden (18 months-4 or 5 I think) here, and they have a few international students.

However they are DEFINITELY friendly. Since we have a baby almost every person we pass stops and smiles and tries to talk to us (and play with the baby).

I think it's one of the top cities for families here in China. We've only been here for a week, but we like it. :)

I don't mean to advertise myself, but I do have a blog and will be documenting our life here over the next year (that's how long we're staying) and you are welcome to keep an eye on it to see what it's like for a family in Dalian. (wonderandwander.com)

Dear Ameya

Great to read ur site.
Can you direct us to find a decent kindergarten in Beijing.
Its seems that most english ones are of RBM 116,000.
Its a bit crazy money!
I am not sure that My son wud be keen to go to only Chinese
school as he wud find himself isolate as he speaks only english.
SAmue;l

Hi,

Dalian is a lovely city and we expats really enjoy life here. (moderated: no free ads please) In fact expats who have lived here for a few years, try to extend their contracts, since they really do enjoy the adventure of living in an upcoming international city. It is also great for families, and there is a small French community here as well.

Warm Regards,
Sumi Seissinger
Editor in Chief
Dalian Today - The City Gazette

Hi

My husband and I are planning a move too to Dalian next spring.  We have a small child (1.5 years old now) and we were planning a second child next year.  Has anyone had a baby in Dalian?  How are the medical services (especialy pediatricians & obstetricians) for english speakers?  Any info and advice would be appreciated.